2011 PPV - TPMS woes

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
Stingroo

2011 PPV - TPMS woes

Post by Stingroo »

I don't want to hear "deal with it" or anything like that.

I know they're problematic, but I want it fixed. I put four new sensors in. Learned them. All seemed well. The car told me tire pressure was too low. So I filled them up to 44psi like the door sticker says (yuck, but we'll lower it later). Turned it off, turned it back on, and got TPMS fault again. I know the sensors obviously work - they programmed two different times but turning the car off makes it completely forget they exist and gives me the TPMS fault again.

Why? How? Where to start with the fix?

I read through a couple posts but didn't really see anyone that had the same issue I do.
JoeR

Re: 2011 PPV - TPMS woes

Post by JoeR »

When the TPMS light comes on are there any trouble codes? If so, that's a good place to start.
If there's no codes then it is seeing low tire pressure.
Joe
Stingroo

Post by Stingroo »

Unknown as of now. Will have my scan tool back tomorrow and can check.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Where did you get the new sensors? Reason I ask is there is saturation of Chinese fake Schrader sensors right now via on-line sites. If they turn out to be fakes, the replicas are known to be erractic, have substandard sensing, and might even cut out. Was it just one sensor acting up or were they all erroring out?
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Stingroo

Post by Stingroo »

Admittedly - Amazon.

Are there any that are known to actually work and not be the ridiculous pricing of the GM ones? Even my cost was like $75 each - gross. I'd rather upgrade to an Australian cluster than spend that much for the dummy system.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

If you saw the post thread I made and stickied in the wheels & tires section you've got the part numbers & interchanges you need. Basically I will Google search the part numbers, Ebay search the part numbers, etc... to try to find the best deals. I've found that dealers such as overstock places, etc... have been fairly reliable in carrying genuine (BRAND) products. If you buy EBAY I always check to make sure suppliers are in the US (when possible, so much obfuscation goes on there anymore!) and there's no weird looking terms or phraseology in the sales narratives that might clue in that you're dealing with offshore suppliers. I've generally not used Amazon as suppliers there can also be suspect as a rule.

It's a hard decision to make. Buying overstock may get you genuine sensors with half battery life as they've been sitting on the shelf for quite a while. Last four GM sensors I bought were purchased from "www.overstockdirect.com" for my G8 wheels, those guys seem to have a BUNCH of Schrader overstock that proves out genuine. I haven't mounted them up to the car yet since I'm running the Camaro wheels right now. My last go-around was with the Ford sensors for the Sedan PI.

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

I purchased SCHRADER 29049 from RockAuto. They are $22 each right now.
2016 Caprice