OE shock change

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

OE shock change

Post by Navy Lifer »

While investigating spring changes to lower the PPV, I learned that the shock valving for 2011 is a one-year only spec. The shocks used in 2012 & later are revised, and my source says they are "much better".

I alluded to this here, in discussing other aspects of Greg's wheel/tire setup and future spring changes (full thread in Wheel/Tire section):
Navy Lifer wrote:
gregc wrote:
bkwagonss wrote:No problem with tire pressure monitors with the SS wheels?
They have different tire pressure than the Caprice tires.
How does it know what is correct?
No problems with the Camaro TPMS. The tires can withstand the 42 psi threats required for the Caprice
I've also learned (and confirmed by looking at the parts info) that the 2011 PPV used a shock package developed by Holden, where the 2012 & 2013 PPV have a shock package developed by GMNA engineers, and is reported to be much better. I'm going to use the new-spec shocks when I change springs, so it will be a learning exercise.
The shocks are made by Monroe in Australia, and are low-pressure gas charged. I do not know if they are mono-tube design, but I don't think so--I'm not aware that Monroe makes any mono-tube (with divider piston) shocks, as in the deCarbon/Bilstein design. There are other shocks available in the aftermarket--G8 & PPV front suspension are the same as far as fit/form/function of both shocks & springs.

PN's for 2012-2013 PPV shocks:

92263478 Strut, RF
92263479 Strut, LF

92258191 upper mount kit for front struts (2) - aftermarket also can supply these

92263480 Shock absorber, rear (2) - R & L
(This shock also installed on 2011 PPV produced after July 4 2011 & VIN BL565468)

FWIW, G8 GXP uses a specific front strut, G8 GT & GXP share rear shocks & springs, but GXP uses a specific rear sway bar. None of the PPV springs or shocks are common with G8 as far as original spec, but the common platform would allow use of G8 shocks & springs on PPV & vice-versa.
bkwagonss

Re: OE shock change

Post by bkwagonss »

What do you mean by better?
Are the 2012-13 shocks stiffer than the 2011?
I think my 2011 shocks and suspension is very stiff for a 4 door sedan.
They are almost as stiff as my Camaro was.
Im happy with the way it is.

Now, once I get the Camaro wheels on the car, I will decide if I need a bigger sway bar.
I do plan on taking the car out on the road course at the Nats and there might be another time when I might get on the track.
But I can't go too crazy with the car, it's still my DD and I replaced the Camaro because I wanted to be able to carry older family members around.

I have a feeling the handling isn't going to be the worst part of the car on the track, I think it's going to be the brakes.
These cars are heavy.
I wonder how hard it would be to change the brakes on this car to the Camaro 4-piston Brembos. But that's a whole nuther subject.
2011 Caprice PPV 9C3 "karma"
2003 Silverado
1950 Chevy Fleetline
2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid (wife's car)
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Barry, perhaps saying "better" is not the best way to describe the situation. Below is excerpted for brevity and to stay close to the topic. I'm not advocating tossing the 2011 shocks, but I'm also not afraid to experiment--whether it is beneficial or not is something I want to find out.

Through a friend who has contacts inside GM, I got this (edited):

(quote)
...some feedback from a friend of mine close to the program.

"#1, first and foremost, get a set of 2012 shocks and struts. The 2011's were Holden tuned and they are harsh on our roads and a handful at the track."

Regarding lowering, 10-12mm is about as far as you want to go before you start to ride on the jounce bumpers too much. So, your feedback on shorter struts (and likely relocated jounce bumpers) is likely valid.

Regarding Pedders/aftermarket. "I tried some Pedders stuff when I was fighting brake hop. Maybe the springs would be ok, but don't have him get anything else (mounts, bushings, etc.). We did it right. Though the front handling bushing could use a bit of stiffening...

My order of attacking things would be dampers, bars, wheels/tires..."

I take that as use maybe Pedders to drop the car 1/2" or so with stock 2012 shocks, figure out a deal on the 2012 dampers, and get some better rubber under the car.

He was pretty specific about the 2012+ Caprice parts being much more tolerable on the street and more refined for the track.
(unquote)

As far as the brakes, I'm working up some comments about what comes standard on the car for a future post. We know the Brembo package from G8 GXP and coming SS sedan will fit, with 19" wheels. Camaro Brembo's seem to call for 20" wheels, even though the rotors are the same diameter (355mm), so I don't know what is different between the 2 versions that are OE sourced, other than something about the caliper contour. More investigation needed. Answer is probably on one of the G8 boards already.
56nomad

Post by 56nomad »

Bill - did you change your shocks to the 2012s? I would be interested in this as well if it benefits the ride.

Jim Bates
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I have not yet, but hope to do so in the near future.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=31#p307" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NOTE: 2011 PPV's built after July 4 2011 and/or VIN's after BL565468 already use the 2nd design REAR shock, PN 92263480
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Do I read the first entry here to indicate that the G8 shocks (and aftermarket shocks/coil-overs to fit the G8) will work on the 2012 Caprice? I'd like to put coil-overs on our caprice, and trying to figure out how I need to look the things up. Thanks.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

I'm pretty sure that the few folk(s) who have changed to coilovers used G8 parts with no issues.
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Great, thanks, Brandon. The options available are dizzying for the different update parts for these cars. I'd like to get it down a bit, and am currently looking at the H&R kit. I'd like to know if they use standard coil-over springs front and rear, and am waiting for pictures of the rear shocks from someone on the SS list to verify. Other kits use pigtail springs, primarily so they can use the factory tops. I think that kind of limits your choices if you're not happy with the spring rate. With regular standard coil-over springs, changing things out is easy, and relatively cheap.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

Just curious if you've taken a look at these: http://www.kollarracingproducts.com/bc- ... -overs-g8/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel