Hello, about to pick one up

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
JSchis

Hello, about to pick one up

Post by JSchis »

I can get this for 9k out the door. 2013 121k miles 5k+ idle. Good deal if i delete dod by next spring or pass?
Im downstate IL so ill have to drive a couple hours north to get it.
Link to the car listing below:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/link/365041185
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Hello, about to pick one up

Post by elc32955 »

I ran the VIN quickly on Google and found that it was sold by State of Illinois in July 2023 for $5,150. Here's the link to the auction item...

https://ibid.illinois.gov/item.php?id=406615

I saw that this was a Chicago Motors car. Basically they're flipping it for close to double their money by the time you get done considering the dealer junk fees. It looks clean and I'm sure they did a basic clean-up on the car, but as always physically inspect it before you put down any money, test drive it if you can. You can always save money by buying direct from the auctions, but you do have the issue of finding the cars, inspecting & listening before you buy, then physically taking possession with the limited times the sales give you - IF you're a high bidder.

As far as whether the car is a good deal for the money, it all depends how it proves out when you inspect it. It can be polished up really nice for marketing and run like an absolute pile of junk. You know the cardinal rule... don't get attached to pretty pictures. Chicago Motors has a fairly good rep as used dealers go, but we have had members have their cars grenade soon after purchasing from them - however it's usually it's not the fault of the dealer. They're all used police cars with a very few exceptions, if something is going to break it's going to happen at the worst possible moment!

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
JSchis

Post by JSchis »

elc32955 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:19 pm I ran the VIN quickly on Google and found that it was sold by State of Illinois in July 2023 for $5,150. Here's the link to the auction item...

https://ibid.illinois.gov/item.php?id=406615

Good luck!
Eric
Wow. Thanks Eric, youre a champ!
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Check out GovDeals right now, there's a decent looking 2016 up there for auction...

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
JSchis

Post by JSchis »

elc32955 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:36 pm Check out GovDeals right now, there's a decent looking 2016 up there for auction...

Good luck!
Eric
Ok
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Just an update - took another look at the pics on the Ohio 2016, looks like the push bumper was lightly popped a bit on one side and pushed into the bumper cover - bet that's why they're getting rid of it. Shame as it's a low mile car, but it'll probably need a bumper cover and possibly some work on the bumper itself - also depends if anything else was bent. Supposed to run well though, whoever gets it will have to handle the body work it needs after purchase. Not that many 16's and 17's out in the wild unfortunately....