2014 Caprice PPV - YouTube Project Car

Tell us about your new PPV, show us some pictures, let us know how you did what you did!
Forum rules
One thread per car per member in this section. No thread hijacking in this section please, if it's strictly a tech discussion please move it to the appropriate sub-forum - moderators can assist if needed or requested.
rcg530

Re: 2014 Caprice PPV - YouTube Project Car

Post by rcg530 »

Mooseman wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:06 am One question, does it have the capability to program the software on modules? For example, if I replace a module, can it be used as a passthrough for ACDelco TDS?
The ThinkDiag is not a J2534 pass through device. It only connects over Bluetooth with the ThinkDiag app (iOS) or ThinkDiag+ app (Android).
2014 Chevy Caprice PPV | RetroCarGuy530 YouTube Channel
rcg530

NOR/CAL Holden Picnic - June 2021 - Martinez CA

Post by rcg530 »

Yesterday, I drove my 2014 Caprice to the NOR/CAL Holden Picnic in Martinez, CA.

There was a very nice 2011 Chevy Caprice 9C3 that attended the picnic.

I have a short video made up of the still pictures I captured while attending the event.

https://youtu.be/_7mK7R3R8UM
rcg530

Replace Rear Wheel Bearings....

Post by rcg530 »

My 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV has at least one lose rear wheel bearing along with worn knuckle bushings. I purchased new knuckles (which include new OEM bushings), Timken wheel bearings, Timken bearing snap rings. I used my new shop press to press the bearings into the knuckles. Later this week, I will work on the removal of the old parts and transferring over the parking brake backing plate and pressing in the stub axles. I will be putting together a video of the work involved.
rear_bearing_press_work.jpg
rear_bearing_press_work.jpg (491.87 KiB) Viewed 5320 times
rcg530

Right Rear Wheel Bearing - Replaced

Post by rcg530 »

I replaced the right rear wheel bearing, knuckle and hub today. The bushings in the original knuckle were shot. I confirmed the slop I found in the rear suspension on the right rear is now fixed. I'm giving my body a day to rest and I'll replace the left rear wheel bearing, knuckle and hub on Thursday. I took a slightly off book approach. I used a 10 lb slide hammer to extract the old stub axle/wheel hub from the old bearing/knuckle. I was then after to transfer the parking brake and backing plate over to the new knuckle and then press in the new stub axle/hub without a problem.

replace_passenger_side.jpg
replace_passenger_side.jpg (496.9 KiB) Viewed 5107 times
rcg530

Left Rear Wheel Bearing

Post by rcg530 »

26-Aug-2021 Update:

I was going to replace the left rear wheel bearing today. The local wildfires and winds in my area have resulted in making the air in my location almost unbreathable. I'll have to wait to replace the left rear wheel bearing until there's a day I can breath without coughing on the smoke in the air.
GammaFlat

Re: Left Rear Wheel Bearing

Post by GammaFlat »

rcg530 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:52 am The local wildfires and winds in my area have resulted in making the air in my location almost unbreathable. I'll have to wait to replace the left rear wheel bearing until there's a day I can breath without coughing on the smoke in the air.
I think lots of people might not understand the magnitude of the fires. My friend in Colorado talks about the smoke they get from the CA fires. :shock:
Thanks for posting. Is it common to need these parts at 111K miles?
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

GammaFlat wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:52 am
rcg530 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:52 am The local wildfires and winds in my area have resulted in making the air in my location almost unbreathable. I'll have to wait to replace the left rear wheel bearing until there's a day I can breath without coughing on the smoke in the air.
I think lots of people might not understand the magnitude of the fires. My friend in Colorado talks about the smoke they get from the CA fires. :shock:
my car is at 86k and the front wheel bearings are toast, I am dreading checking the rears. Might have to do with the locale it was from (Illinois) lots of corrosion on my car.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
rcg530

Post by rcg530 »

GammaFlat wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:52 am I think lots of people might not understand the magnitude of the fires. My friend in Colorado talks about the smoke they get from the CA fires. :shock:
I'm located about 20 miles west of the Caldor fire in northern California. The winds shifted overnight bringing in a huge amount of smoke around where I live.

When I purchased my 2014 Caprice PPV last year, the front wheel bearings were making noise. I made that a priority to replace the front wheel hub assemblies at that time. The rear wheel bearings seem to be more resilient than the front hub bearings (at least in my experience).

Back when I replaced the rear shocks on this car, I found the right rear wheel bearing was a bit loose. I could get a bit of movement out of the wheel if I grabbed the top/bottom of the tire and rock it in/out on the top/bottom of the tire. When I applied the parking brake, the movement would stop. That suggested to me that the wheel bearing was the source of the movement. After replacing the right rear wheel bearing, knuckle and stub axle (wheel hub), I performed the rocking test again and the looseness was gone.

I took a resource/money intensive approach to my repair to help reduce the time involved during the repair itself. I purchased new OEM knuckles which include new bushings in the knuckle, new wheel bearings, new wheel bearing snap rings and new stub axles (wheel hubs). I was able to prep the new knuckles with the new wheel bearings and wheel bearing snap rings. I removed the old stub axle (wheel hub) from the old knuckle and transferred the parking brake backing plate to the new knuckle and then installed the new knuckle on the the car.

When I've completed this repair to both sides, I can then extract what's left of the original wheel bearings from the original knuckles. I'll have a good set of spares in case anyone needs them, but the bushings in those knuckles would need to be replaced before they could be used again.
rcg530

Replaced Left Rear Wheel Bearing / Knuckle

Post by rcg530 »

The smoke from the Caldor fire was pushed in a different direction today, so I took the opportunity to get the left rear wheel bearing, knuckle and bushings replaced while I had air I could breathe without coughing.

The right rear bearing was definitely loose/worn and the left rear bearing was in better shape.

After replacing both of them (mainly the right rear), the ride quality has GREATLY improved. I have video from today's work, so I'll start working on the video tomorrow.
caprice_left_rear_pic.jpg
caprice_left_rear_pic.jpg (122.39 KiB) Viewed 4810 times
rcg530

2011-2017 Chevy Caprice PPV - Replace Rear Wheel Bearings

Post by rcg530 »

I replace the rear suspension knuckles, rear axle hubs (stub axles) and rear wheel bearings in my 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgUYvZjC79A