Newbie in Melbourne..... FL.

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Monkeyeggs

Newbie in Melbourne..... FL.

Post by Monkeyeggs »

OK, so this site is great! But I am not sure what to do next. My key is stuck in the ignition. Tried the fuse and relay route, my mirrors work. The shifter pin seems to be working properly, although it looks to have some grease on the micro switch. What other culprits could I look at? Switches, solenoids bad? Can i get the key released temp thru the column?
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Newbie in Melbourne..... FL.

Post by elc32955 »

Welcome! I'm actually in Rockledge, lol. What year/model of car do you have? Was wondering if you ended up with one of those cars from Melbourne Beach or IHB that were sold a while back... also the year differences may help pin down your problem a bit.

I've not run into this problem before, locally the closest Zeta expertise I know of might be the G8 group over in Orlando or perhaps Chris Henry in Tampa at CHMotorsports. You might try shooting Chris an EMAIL, his website is https://www.chenrymotorsports.com/ . He's a darned good diagnostician and tuner/builder. Folks here are very good as well...

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Monkeyeggs

Post by Monkeyeggs »

I picked up a 2012 9c1 this weekend from a seller down in Deerfield. It was a Coconut Creek PD car. Runs great, but i sure would love to get the key out lol. I am having to disconnect the negative when i park it. I'm actually in Suntree.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Yeah, that would be frustrating. You can try Bob Steele, I think they do the service on the TPD cars that the city garage can't handle (Titusville has ten 2012's). If it'll drive up there that may be the quickest bet, just hold onto your wallet! They did work on my 2011 when it was still under factory warranty. The other thing you might try is to check with Viera Gattos, tell Rick Hickman I sent you in there. He's the store manager and a good problem-solver.

Good luck! When it gets fixed PM me & maybe we can get together. Love to see your car, I do also have some 2011-2013 parts stashed if needed. Just moved out my steelies from the 2015 I have...

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Groundczero

Post by Groundczero »

Nice to see another Brevard car, I am in Palm Bay, FL. Hope to see you around.
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Hey Monkey,
I've had my column apart and do not recall how easy it was to get at the solenoid but I can tell you that things don't look too complicated in there. Whether you are removing the solenoid or energizing/de-energizing it, it may be accessible by splitting the upper and lower column cover. There are at least 4 clips. Mine are easy to take apart (too easy) but that's probably because they've been taken apart plenty.
Are you sure you were looking at the correct relay? That's the kind of thing I'd do :o .
Regards and welcome!
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
Monkeyeggs

Post by Monkeyeggs »

Yeah I got the correct relay as far as I have investigated. Plus I have no other issues like none working mirrors. I even swapped relays just in case. I am giving it hours of attention this weekend. Hope I can pinpoint the problem. Hoping its just that little micro switch in the shifter?
Monkeyeggs

Post by Monkeyeggs »

Key out! It was the 10 amp #16 fuse as it should have been. I feel stupid, the fuse looked fine, but it must be broken and my old eyes can't see it. Replaced and key is turned out.