G8 GT door handles

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
lastcall190

G8 GT door handles

Post by lastcall190 »

Anyone ever use the Dorman replacements that have the paintable center surrounded by chrome? Quality ok on them? Or are guys just using handles from wrecked cars? Getting rid of the passenger side lock cylinder wont have any negative impact or require anything else besides the handle, correct? My stock handles are very faded and look almost white on my black car. Thanks for input

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: G8 GT door handles

Post by smwalker »

Have not used them in particular. But working at an auto repair shop we avoided doorman plastic parts like the plague. Metal stuff seems to be OK but anything plastic would be back in 3 months for warrant work.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Thanks Steve. OEM best way then I assume? I know there used to be part numbers that were prepainted but I doubt they exist anymore...

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I painted the stock ones on my car after a good clean, scuff and filler primer they came out ok, and paint has not flaked a year later...

It would be great if we had as a forum a set of old ones that just got passed around so people could get the paint work done while leaving their own stock ones then swapping and sending them off to the next party.
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Ironically I believe Bill Harper made a post a while back suggesting that same thing. Kind of like a placeholder set for when ppl would get theirs painted and not have to have their car down for that time period.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I asked him a million times to send me the set he claimed to have as spare and it never happened.... What we really need is someone who works at a body shop to take this up as a you order a painted set from them and send your core back after swapping.
shawnjon82

Post by shawnjon82 »

I have an extra set and I appreciate all the help this forum has provided me so I will donate them. If you cover the shipping costs I will send them out to whoever needs them and I would hope that after they get done with them they will offer them back up to the forum and we can keep this thing going
Bikefabricator

Post by Bikefabricator »

Go ahead and send those handles to me please? I'll do a paint job on em. Pull mine off and get the ball rolling. If you donate them I'll just get paid for my paint work. Sound like a plan?
shawnjon82

Post by shawnjon82 »

Sounds good just pm me your info