Steering rack clamp bolts

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
Fudgehog

Steering rack clamp bolts

Post by Fudgehog »

Hoping someone can find me a PN # or maybe some information on the 4 rack bolts that hold the edge of the rack on the car.

These are the E18 e-torx head bolts. I seem to be having an issue where the driver side bolts are not bottoming out on the frame (in the threaded channel).

The passenger side however is a figure tip away from being flush with the frame. The underside of each thread hole looks like a washer protruding from the frame.

Because my driver side bolts are completely tight, but not bottoming out, do I have the sides switched? Is one side longer than the other?

Would appreciate your help. Thanks.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
s/c'd cav

Re: Steering rack clamp bolts

Post by s/c'd cav »

all 4 bolts are the same part # 92139194(11-13) , #11611833(14-17)
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Something curios in the service manual. Instructions for R&R say:

Remove and discard steering gear to frame retaining bolts (1). Note length and location of bolts.

Like they are different lengths???

Specs:
Install NEW steering gear to frame retaining bolts. Torque frame retaining bolts to 37 ft. lbs.

Turn frame retaining bolts an additional 120°, using sensor tool No. EN-45059, or equivalent.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

You are talking about #2 yes?

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

smwalker wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:07 pm Something curios in the service manual. Instructions for R&R say:

Remove and discard steering gear to frame retaining bolts (1). Note length and location of bolts.

Like they are different lengths???

Specs:
Install NEW steering gear to frame retaining bolts. Torque frame retaining bolts to 37 ft. lbs.

Turn frame retaining bolts an additional 120°, using sensor tool No. EN-45059, or equivalent.
yeah thats odd since they list the part # as them all being the same
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Actually rereading this and seeing the diagram I do not think it matters that there is a space on the bottom. If that rack bolts are tight it's fine, drive on. Being flush is not a requirement??

Or am I missing something?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Yes those are the correct bolts. I just find it odd the pass side bolts almost bottom out when they're tight and the driver side seem like a 1/4 inch or more and are way up in the channel despite being tight.

That's why I'm questioning that they're different lengths.

And mine are way tighter than 37 ft pounds lol.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

smwalker wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:30 pm Actually rereading this and seeing the diagram I do not think it matters that there is a space on the bottom. If that rack bolts are tight it's fine, drive on. Being flush is not a requirement??

Or am I missing something?
i know it used to be a thing , that the bolt had to extend out past the threads so far for strength , and i think some cushion if the bolt/nut came loose

as for what they do now , im not sure