G8 seats & console install questions

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
indianajoe

G8 seats & console install questions

Post by indianajoe »

i got a set of seats and a console and shifter out of g8 gt, and have some questions about getting all the functionality up and running

physical seat install was a breeze, but now ive got an airbag light (car was wrecked, but seat bags intact) a little internetting showed me i need to swap my old buckles into the g8 seats. is this true?

also, i didnt notice at first, but the seats are heated, and i'd like to enable that, but i dont appear to have the module/ harness for that
i've gotta go back to the yard and get a part they left out, so i'd like to get anything else i'll need for the g8 console swap.

i appear to have the whole console and shifter and park brake assembly, (although most of the shifter hardware is rusted out so ill need to cannibalize my 9c1 shifter), are there any good diagrams for what plugs go where in the console? a few wires were cut, but some plugs are intact

thanks!
indianajoe

Re: G8 seats & console install questions

Post by indianajoe »

So I swapped buckles and the airbag light is still there
Unplugged battery and it's still there too. Is there something elsei need to do?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I think, and I hope someone will confirm or deny, the whole point of taking the caprice and G8 seats apart and making a Frankenstein seat with what ever cover you prefer is that you can reuse the same caprice airbags, you will have a power slide (from G8) and have a power recline (from Caprice).

I am not sure if air bag modules are just plug and play or if a re flash is needed when adding / swapping them. If I know GM I would say it is probably a required step.

AS for the heated seats those would be a good candidate to add to the police harness high amp ignition on wires as those systems draw a lot of power usually. I will see if I can find a Diagram for you if that will help.

http://i.imgur.com/O6hhQou.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

thanks for that info steve, looks like the "brains" are all in the seats, so i'll just have to wire it all up

i do have another question for anyone who's used a g8 shifter, how can i tell if the car can communicate with the shifter?
i ask because i was working on the console swap yesterday (alllll yesterday lol) and i learned the car would lock the key in the ignition without a shifter attached. so i plugged the ppv shifter back in, made sure it was in park, and the key came out.
i tried locking in the key again, plugged in the g8 shifter, made sure it was all the way forward, and nothing happened
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

That probably has something to do with the neutral safety switch wiring differences between the the shifters. Then the next question is is the neutral safety switch even in the G8 shifter or was it external? Will see what I can find. BUt I am sure someone on the board has already been through this, hopefully they will come along.

Not seeing any difference in the pinout descriptions between G8/9C1/9C3 but then they are not specific (9C1 vs. 9C3) as to which one is which so I can only assume they are all the same.

Test your ground at Pin 3, you do have a ground wire there yes?

Then test with the G8 shifter plugged in and in park do you get a ground at the purple and white wire in spot 6.

Here are some wiring diagrams. The shifter is sort of split into it's functions so it is spread across a few different diagrams:

https://www.chiltonlibrary.com/content/ ... 662818.pdf

https://www.chiltonlibrary.com/content/ ... 662770.pdf

https://imgur.com/bgh80Kx

Now after a comment a few posts down about a wire being in spot 7 looked up the PPV shifter pinout. Seems they combines 9C1 and 9C3 on the same pinout. IN some spots it has a not occupied and also a circuit description.
PPV Shifter Pinout
PPV Shifter Pinout
PPV Shifter.png (151.89 KiB) Viewed 9457 times
And that is where I think the shift box guys figured out the command for the tap up and tap down go on wire #1 that gets spliced into the cruise control reference wire.
shifter reference.png
shifter reference.png (28.3 KiB) Viewed 9456 times
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

unfortunately im away from the car, which has its bcm out anyway...

but from looking at it, there are three wires that actually go to the shifter itself, a black one, a blue one, and a tan(? i'm colorblind so wiring is a pita...) these wires are in the same spot on both shifters.
the 9c1 shifter has a lot more black and red wires, but those appear to be for the buttons and the backlight of the gear indicator.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Well guuss you will have to wait till you have all the pieces back. Although in this thread Greg mentions in the first post that the wiring plug seems to be the same from 9C1 to G8. :

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=336&hilit=swap#p2838" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I am thinking you may have a shifter with a bum ignition lock switch inside it.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
PPV4ME

Post by PPV4ME »

indianajoe wrote:i do have another question for anyone who's used a g8 shifter, how can i tell if the car can communicate with the shifter?
i ask because i was working on the console swap yesterday (alllll yesterday lol) and i learned the car would lock the key in the ignition without a shifter attached. so i plugged the ppv shifter back in, made sure it was in park, and the key came out.
i tried locking in the key again, plugged in the g8 shifter, made sure it was all the way forward, and nothing happened
I just put a G8 shifter in mine a little over a week ago and have been having the same problems. Either we both got defective shifters or it's a difference in wiring. Please let me know if you find anything out and I will report back if I do as well.
91C02920

Post by 91C02920 »

Looked at this in my '11 9C1.

Edit:The PU/W is in Pin 6, and so is Black in Pin 3, that matches the 9C3 Park Position Switch Diagram.

Pins 1 & 4 are empty in my car, and I'll need to add them.
Pin 4 goes to BCM X1 P20, so it will need to be run from there, and I assume a BCM reprogram will be needed (though I am not 100% sure on that)

Pin 1 I can probably pick up from the steering column.

See my thread a couple posts down:

http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1472" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The wire in Pin5 is for Sport Mode, and isn't there in the 9C3, and Pin 7 goes to the Traction control switch.
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

PPV4ME wrote:
indianajoe wrote:i do have another question for anyone who's used a g8 shifter, how can i tell if the car can communicate with the shifter?
I just put a G8 shifter in mine a little over a week ago and have been having the same problems. Either we both got defective shifters or it's a difference in wiring. Please let me know if you find anything out and I will report back if I do as well.

I'm certain my shifter is defective, I can sometimes switch gears without pushing the button, and the latch doesn't always go all the way up.
I can use a screwdriver to poke the ignition release in the shifter and take the key out. Obviously this isn't a viable solution so I'm taking the shifter back to the yard and I'm gonna see if another one will work better

*Edit* I'm not so sure it's broken anymore... I readjusted the pin that toggles the ignition lock and follows the shift gate tracks and it seems to work fine

I'll hook it up to the car and see what happens