A few annoyances

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
AACoPD05

A few annoyances

Post by AACoPD05 »

First I wanna start this post off by saying I really do like the Caprice. I'm am, at heart, a Ford man but I don't completely dislike the Chevy. There are, however, a few minor things I've found in the past 2 months of driving the Caprice that I consider annoying. See if you agree with any of these:

Front brake dust - I have full wheel covers and I have to clean them just about every other day because the factory pads make a ton of dust.

Airbag light on the mirror - Theres no way to turn it off, at night when I'm sitting darked out its glaring bright, I'm sure bad guys can see it, if I unplug it I lose the compass (which has a button so I can turn it off if need be).

Rubber seatbelt boot - There is a rubber cover on the front seat belt latches that is constantly slipping down, mostly happens on the driver side. I have it zip tied for now.

Display defaults to speed - I have a speedometer gauge why do I need the speed redundantly displayed in the info center? I change it but it defaults back to speed on next start up.

Radio - Lack of options, you all know this already.

No coat hooks - There are no coat hooks above the rear doors like most cars have.

Rear defroster - It doesn't clear the top few inches of the rear window where the high mount stop light is.

Fuel filler on passenger side - I assume its this way because of the right hand drive in Australia, also there is no drain around the filler neck to allow water to drain.

Trunk space - Its deep and holds a ton of stuff, but the stuff against the back of seat is next to impossible to reach (in a hurry).

Key - Why does the key have to be so complex on a fleet car? Key and remote should be separate, or the key should fold, its unnecessarily big. Because its laser cut it has to be ordered from GM with a cost of anywhere between $60-$100. The Camero has a similar key but the key portion folds into the remote, anyone know if that would work for the Caprice?

I'm done, I feel better now. Anyone else having the same issues?
Paul
2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport
storm9c1

Re: A few annoyances

Post by storm9c1 »

AACoPD05 wrote: Front brake dust - I have full wheel covers and I have to clean them just about every other day because the factory pads make a ton of dust.
Yep, agree. I think this is a problem with any high performance braking system. The type of pad used to achieve the braking performance required is what is creating the extra dust. It's annoying but normal.
Airbag light on the mirror - Theres no way to turn it off, at night when I'm sitting darked out its glaring bright, I'm sure bad guys can see it, if I unplug it I lose the compass (which has a button so I can turn it off if need be).
More of a distraction than anything. My guess is that this was an oversight to meet specific Federal guidelines in the US market, therefore it was added haphazardly. Does the AU version have this light on the mirror?
Rubber seatbelt boot - There is a rubber cover on the front seat belt latches that is constantly slipping down, mostly happens on the driver side. I have it zip tied for now.
I don't like the seatbelt latches at all. I'd rather have the old B-Body style. But this latch design seems to be the new way. Not sure what's up with the rubber boot.
Display defaults to speed - I have a speedometer gauge why do I need the speed redundantly displayed in the info center? I change it but it defaults back to speed on next start up.
This is a throwback from the 91-96 Caprice. They had huge digital speedometers that the cops really liked. I like it too. Reading the digital numbers is error free. Reading a gauge with small tick marks requires more thought and could land me a speeding ticking if I don't read it correctly. Sorry, I love the huge digital speedo. In fact, I don't need or want the analog one!

I do agree, though, that there should be a way to control the "default" power-up mode.

I also didn't like the default "trap speed" feature which essentially disables the scroll wheel for radio use. I quickly disabled that mode. It was annoying, and since I'm not a cop, I have no use for it.
Radio - Lack of options, you all know this already.
Well it's better than any other radio on any other police car I've seen to date. I don't like touch screens on a car, so I also like the fact that there are multiple mechanisms to change volume, stations, tracks, etc. I have reason to believe it does receive HD broadcasts, even though this feature is not advertised. But still, this radio has more to be desired.
No coat hooks - There are no coat hooks above the rear doors like most cars have.
Yeah, they got a little too paranoid with this one.
Rear defroster - It doesn't clear the top few inches of the rear window where the high mount stop light is.
Never noticed this to be a big problem. Never affected my vision.

But my front windshield is wavy, in the bottom 1/4 all the way across, which is very annoying. I've considered trying a warranty claim for that.
Fuel filler on passenger side - I assume its this way because of the right hand drive in Australia, also there is no drain around the filler neck to allow water to drain.
Very annoying. My B-Bodies have the filler in the back, which is universal. Always loved that.
Trunk space - Its deep and holds a ton of stuff, but the stuff against the back of seat is next to impossible to reach (in a hurry).
Eh, I don't mind. If arranged properly, fixed or rarely used equipment can go up there by the seat back. That would leave more room by the lid for equipment that is needed quickly.

What I do find more annoying is that the car should have come with a locking folding back seat rather than a completely disabled one.
Key - Why does the key have to be so complex on a fleet car? Key and remote should be separate, or the key should fold, its unnecessarily big. Because its laser cut it has to be ordered from GM with a cost of anywhere between $60-$100. The Camero has a similar key but the key portion folds into the remote, anyone know if that would work for the Caprice?
I agree! The key is clunky. But a folding key (hinge particularly) would probably wear out or break in fleet use. I guess they just wanted to make a heavy duty key. In this case, perhaps a remote fob would have been better.

Let me add my own:
I don't like the Japanese windshield wiper controls. While my girlfriend feels right at home with them (she has a Corolla), I hate them. I want the wiper controls on the left side of the steering wheel. Or on the dash. I bump the wiper stalk it too many times on the right. This seems to be an import car preference that I just don't like at all. The Dodge Charger has it correct (on left). Luckily the Caprice headlight controls are not on the turn signal like on her Corolla. Had they been, I may not have even bought the car. That's how much I hate the Japanese/import ergonomics.

I don't like drive by wire. Never did. But I'm trying to make my peace with it. I do like ABS and traction control. Drive by wire just really bothers me because I don't want my inputs buffered by a computer.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Just a few from my perspective..

Back seatback being solid on the 9C3's.... I'm working on a cure for that for my car :)

No coathooks or assist handles - I personally think that was just GM/Holden being "economical". Going to probably add them in.

The biggie for me right now is the lack of manual unlatching capability for the door handles (by pulling the handle directly). If your doors are locked, you can't use the handles to open them, the handle just mindlessly goes back and hits the stopper. You have to unlock before you pull the handle.

Where this could be a problem is vehicle flooding/sinking. We have a lot of small retention ponds here in Florida that are deeply dug. People and their cars have dissapeared into these ponds and not been found until months later (water recedes and you see the top of a hood or a diver finds the car) with their occupants still inside. Yummie. This is not just a thing that happens to senior citizens, anyone can get bumped off the road or inadvertantly overrun and unintentionally take a dive. So, this means you have to get the door unlocked & open (or the windows down) before the electical system shorts, or you're dead unless you can get lucky & break a window out. Plain & simple. By the time you figure out the little manual unlock button by the handle there's too much water pressure to open your door and you have to ride it under.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

A few comments.

The brake dust issue is a cop car brake pad thing. Undercover cop cars here are easy to spot by the black front wheels, whereas regular Commodores don't have the issue. Consider changing to a different type of pad when it comes time to renew.

I don't know if it would work for sure, but you should be able to use a Pontiac G8 flip key. The solid key is more suited for a fleet car though. The flip keys aren't built to last forever.

My car doesn't have the light in the mirror, except for the auto-dimming mirror. Speaking of which, you may wish to consider one as a replacement. See the G8board.com for the retrofits people have done.

With mine, the centre display is configurable. I like the digital speedo but it allows the driver to choose. I'm surprised they changed this.
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Troutman wrote:With mine, the centre display is configurable. I like the digital speedo but it allows the driver to choose. I'm surprised they changed this.
To clarify, the PPV can be changed in the menu after you start the car. But once you shut off the car and restart, it defaults back to speedo. This may be a cop thing, since like I said, a throwback (paying heritage) to the 1991-1996 Caprice. The 1991-1993 9C1 had a digital speedo + analog tach that was a cop-only option. In 1994, the digital speedo (and no tach) became standard on all Caprice and Impala SS models. In 1996, the Impala SS (only) got an analog speedo and a much missed analog tach. The digital speedo and no tach stayed the same on the 1996 Caprice. For the first time, with the PPV, we can have our cake and eat it too -- we can have a digital speedo, analog speedo, and tach.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
AACoPD05

Post by AACoPD05 »

I dont mind the digital speedometer but if I change it to mileage I just wish it would stay mileage when I turn the car off and back on instead of defaulting back to speed.

As for the seatbelt boot, I gotta correct myself, its actually the boot on the seat belt anchor between the seat and the drivers door, not on the latch as previously described. I think I found out why it falls down too. I'm left handed, my pistol is on my left side and my holster sits pretty much on top of the boot. So I guess all the getting in and out of the car causes it to push the boot down. I put a small zip tie just under the boot and it seems to be doing the job.

The wiper lever was brought up, thats something I didn't think about. I would much rather have the wiper controls on the other side of the column and get rid of the cruise control. A Police car does not need cruise, though I'm sure that would be desirable for civilian use.

Another thing I forgot to mention is the lack of power ports in the 9C1....there is only one. One! I have at least 3 12v accessories I need plugged in at all time. The 9C3 gets at least 2 ports. Also the one port I have is controlled by ignition so when I turn the car off it kills power to the things I have plugged in. I fixed this issue by cutting the green wire going to it and wiring it to my battery saver for my laptop.

Going back to brakes, anyones else's brakes squeak? I think its the rears that are squeaking and usually occurs after its been sitting over night.
Paul
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

AACoPD05 wrote:Front brake dust - I have full wheel covers and I have to clean them just about every other day because the factory pads make a ton of dust.

Troutman wrote:A few comments.

The brake dust issue is a cop car brake pad thing. Undercover cop cars here are easy to spot by the black front wheels, whereas regular Commodores don't have the issue. Consider changing to a different type of pad when it comes time to renew.

I don't know if it would work for sure, but you should be able to use a Pontiac G8 flip key. The solid key is more suited for a fleet car though. The flip keys aren't built to last forever.

My car doesn't have the light in the mirror, except for the auto-dimming mirror. Speaking of which, you may wish to consider one as a replacement. See the G8board.com for the retrofits people have done.
Ditto on the brake dust. I'm working on a full download of brake info. My concern is that brake feel & performance will be considered diminished if the PPV-spec pads are not used. The brakes are VERY good, IMO, but they are a little messy. As far as the squeal question, I have noticed a slight amount myself.

Coat hooks - at least the headliner has the molded cavity for installing the handles (in rear) - it's either a cost control issue, or the nanny-cop crowd didn't want an out-of-control arrestee to hang themselves with their shoe laces on the over-door handle.

Fuel filler door - even the new SS has it on the "wrong" side....you get used to it. There is another thing for attention on the gas door--the G8 features a locking gas door. This feature can be installed easily on PPV. It works with the door lock system--no interior release, but when the doors are locked, the gas door locks, and when the doors are unlocked, the gas door is unlocked. Details on circuit hookup to follow (not through BCM), but if you want to chase the part, it's a latch assembly PN 92219624

Flip Key - the only option using US parts is the G8 flip key, blank PN 89027333 and it comes with a Pontiac arrowhead emblem. The only other option would be to find out if C.P. or someone in Australia can supply the Middle East equivalent with a Chevy bow tie. The flip key is a direct exchange with your existing key/transmitter--the 2 parts separate (not hard to do, once you figure it out) and the new (flip) key replaces the fixed key. The Camaro flip key will not work--different lock cylinder.

Key has to be cut using the key code provided with the PPV keys, unique to your vehicle--dealer orders the key with this information and it comes pre-cut.

Note: GM PART # 89027333 REQUIRES KEY TO BE OBTAINED THROUGH YOUR LOCAL GM DEALERSHIP. WE ARE NOT ABLE TO SUPPLY THIS KEY DUE TO SECURITY REASONS.

Auto-dimming mirror - definitely on my list, and I've been looking at some aftermarket options. Do not want any OnStar button/junk. Troutman, can you provide links from G8 board, please?

EDIT - couple more

Turn signal/cruise levers - in a RHD application, are the levers the same, or reversed? The British & Euro influence on car design in Australia is in play here, and we just have to roll with it, like it or not. Could it be "better"(?) - always - but it won't stop me from enjoying the car!

Power ports - does seem to be a bit short-sighted on GM/Holden's part. I suppose the built-in cabling system (in passenger floor) was their solution. Maybe you could charge these devices via USB ports off of the laptop?
AACoPD05

Post by AACoPD05 »

Thanks for all the info!

As for the power ports, using usb is ok for some applications but I have a 12v flash light changer, a printer (which requires both a USB and 12v outlet), and a radar (or LIDAR) speed device that requires a 12v outlet. When I first got the car I has a 3 way splitter on the lone outlet. It was ok for a while but again the problem was the power being cut when the car was off. The printer was the main issue because it would cause the laptop to disconnect and reconnect the printer on every on/off cycle. I worked around it by cutting the 12v power wire to the power port and hard wiring it to a keep alive device we use for radios, laptop etc. Works just fine now. More factory port would have been beneficial.

Coat hooks - I can see not having grab handles but a small coat hook? What does the G8 have back there?

So far it sounds like we are all on the same page with the list.
Paul
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

95_9C1

Post by 95_9C1 »

I'd like to say that I really do like the Caprice, too. What's not to like about an $80K Australian car you can get for around $30K or less ...

As far as these issues:

Front brake dust - common, change to different pads

Airbag light on the mirror - cut a small piece of tint to dim

Rubber seatbelt boot - personally, I haven't noticed or had a problem

Display defaults to speed - not a problem that can't be solved with the push of a button at a stop light

Radio - fine by me

No coat hooks - haven't needed these, yet

Rear defroster - does what I need it to do

Fuel filler on passenger side - I never thought this was a problem, although, I really like the centered, behind-the-plate filler on my '95

Trunk space - there's plenty of room

Key - p/n 92252258 is the flip key blank w/ Chevy Bow Tie logo (GM dealership should be able to cut these blanks)

I've had a few issues and/or performance realities with my car, I suppose:

wiper motor - stopped squirting, but was fixed at the dealer with a report of a coagulated gel/goo in the wiper fluid reservoir (I'm to get more details from the tech who fixed it for an idea as to the cause ...)

C-pillar window trim - both sides fell off (dealership will reglue these back onto the window frames. However, if that won't work or I didn't have the pieces they'd need to replace the entire window unit on both sides. I've seen two other cars missing this trim on Ebay. I'm lucky I caught the trim before I lost them out on the road.)

13.1 mpg average over 2500 miles of stop and go city driving

20.5 mpg average over 625 miles of highway driving (round trip: San Fernando Valley, CA/Las Vegas, NV)

4 ounces of oil caught in a catch can after 3900 miles

a very small depression on top of trunk from closing it too hard, maybe - very thin metal on these cars

All for now, once I have the seat wiring recall done, I'll be installing an exhaust and intake to see if I can tweak those mpg numbers ...