A few annoyances

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
storm9c1

Re: A few annoyances

Post by storm9c1 »

Key - p/n 92252258 is the flip key blank w/ Chevy Bow Tie logo (GM dealership should be able to cut these blanks)
According to the owners manual, the PPV key come with a proximity circuit built into the key. It's in the lower section of the key, independent from the wireless transmitter. This could create a problem with swapping keys unless the flip key has this too. The car can learn multiple keys. The procedure is documented either in the owners manual or definitely in the FSM that I have.
20.5 mpg average over 625 miles of highway driving
I get much better than this. I get 30+ MPG highway only. City is terrible. But highway is damn good for me. I used a combo of cruise and hyper-miling without cruise on hilly terrain. If I keep the AFM on 4 cyl as much as possible, this is how I get best mileage.
4 ounces of oil caught in a catch can after 3900 miles
Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean in a pan under the car or what? I think my car has an oil leak (only after 2500 miles). I need to get under it to check. Car sat all winter. I had a dirty pan under it and I thought it looks wet. But I could be fooled by old oil from the '95 Caprice that was parked there for a while. Never thought to clean the pan before I parked the PPV for the winter. If it's leaking, it's going to the dealer to be fixed under warranty. I can't stand for that on a new car. I'm used to it on old SBC cars, heck they leaked oil on the assembly line, but I won't put up with it on this car.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
95_9C1

Post by 95_9C1 »

My dealer said he could cut the key. I suppose when he said programming, he meant what you're saying ...

I wish I could have gotten 30 mpg. However, I did have three adults with a baby and a full trunk of luggage. I also kept a consistent speed of around 80 mph - the computer averaged me out to around 65 mph, overall. The trip to and from Vegas runs a gamut of altitudes: 0 - 4000+ feet

The catch can is an aftermarket addition. It strains the air of oil from the return line of the PVC system that would normally dump this oil into the intake manifold.

I installed this one: http://www.billetprototypes.com/G8_Catc ... stall.html

At the rate I'm going, I'll be losing about a quart of oil every 32,000 miles ... :shock:
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

storm9c1 wrote:
Key - p/n 92252258 is the flip key blank w/ Chevy Bow Tie logo (GM dealership should be able to cut these blanks)
Tom, that PN doesn't check as a good number for North America--where did you get it?

As for the catch can, is that effectively doing what the factory now offers as the 1LE PCV system PN 23102311 accomplishes?

DESCRIPTION: Camaro 1LE PCV System
Crankcase ventilation system designed for the track-oriented Camaro 1LE package, designed for excellent oil separation and crankcase return during high-performance driving and high-load cornering. Simple catch-can-type design screws into oil-fill port in the rocker cover of V-8 and V-6 models.

View it here: http://www.chevroletperformance.com/_re ... atalog.pdf (page 16)
95_9C1

Post by 95_9C1 »

Navy Lifer wrote:
storm9c1 wrote:
Tom, that PN doesn't check as a good number for North America--where did you get it?

As for the catch can, is that effectively doing what the factory now offers as the 1LE PCV system PN 23102311 accomplishes?

DESCRIPTION: Camaro 1LE PCV System
Crankcase ventilation system designed for the track-oriented Camaro 1LE package, designed for excellent oil separation and crankcase return during high-performance driving and high-load cornering. Simple catch-can-type design screws into oil-fill port in the rocker cover of V-8 and V-6 models.

View it here: http://www.chevroletperformance.com/_re ... atalog.pdf (page 16)
Bill,

That part number must be Australian - I got it from Holmart

The Camaro 1LE PCV ventilation system looks like it'd do the exact same thing as a regular catch can except that it would also return the oil back into circulation ... not too shabby ... ;)

-Bob
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Hi guys,

I agree with most of the issues brought up. My biggest complaint by-far is the audio system. I just plain sucks, compared to what's out there for oem equipment (I miss my satellite!!). Second (but not by much) is the fuel mileage. I'm currently averaging 19.3 mpg, combined. Seems to me that with AFM the car should get better than that. Brake dust, I can deal with that untill pad change time. The only other thing is the lack of hanger hooks. I hang my jacket going to-and-from work. Not having a hook? Not good.

Later
Dennis
Dennis

2011 Caprice PPV
2008 Mustang GT (wife's daily driver)
2007 C/V P-71
2006 F-350
1999 H-D FXWDG
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

AACoPD05 wrote:....There are, however, a few minor things I've found in the past 2 months of driving the Caprice that I consider annoying. See if you agree with any of these:

Fuel filler ...... there is no drain around the filler neck to allow water to drain.
Been meaning to respond to this.

The fuel filler door & fill pipe access on the body would be open into the trunk with all of the components removed. The latch mechanism, hinge, and filler pipe all have seals, and there is no drain (as noted) to prevent fuel or fuel fumes from entering the interior of the car via the trunk.
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

Some American cars have the fuel filler on the passenger side as well. The Ford Taurus is one that comes to mind right off the bat.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96