Another avenue for parts... Daewoo Veritas!

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
elc32955
System Manager

Another avenue for parts... Daewoo Veritas!

Post by elc32955 »

Just for the heck of it I started doing some casual researching on the Daewoo Veritas, which was another Holden export of the Caprice/Statesman to the Korean market. Some of the cars apparently found their way over to Japan as well, as I found some parts availability over on a Japanese salvage auto parts site - they have both new & used parts. Take a look.....

https://autoparts.beforward.jp/search/G ... _type=list

Model years for production are listed as 2008-2011, from what I can see the car looks very.... WM Caprice-like. Interchange info seems pretty limited, but almost certainly shipping from Japan to the US could be another ballbuster. The interiors I saw looked darned nice however... massaging seats like the China-export Park Avenue! Sales for 2009 were only 1,645 units so it was classified as a Grade A flop in the Korean market.

Things that make you go Hmmmm......

EDIT - Found a 6 minute Youtube video on the Veritas, sales video from the 2008-2009 timeframe. This really was a high-end car.... for your viewing pleasure;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lPxNKceNc4

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Mooseman

Re: Another avenue for parts... Daewoo Veritas!

Post by Mooseman »

Very interesting! Maybe wouldn't have failed if they were offered a V8.

Can you imagine that instead of Holden badge conversions, we do Daewoo instead? And an honest to god hood ornament!

What I found interesting were the possibly LED tails and the HID headlights. Since they drive on the proper side of the road over there, they would work here.

But, as you said, the shipping would be astronomical for that size stuff. I order small snowmobile parts from Japan and it isn't that bad but anything bigger than a small box would need a mortgage. And the taxes and import duties!
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Yep, you hit a lot of the items that caught my eye as well. From just browsing that parts site I have the feeling (if the quoted prices are correct of course!) that this stuff might be regarded as dead inventory that's just taking space and needs to be moved out. I tried sourcing some information on the car and came up with a big goose-egg in finding an owner's guide, service pubs, etc. It's almost like all Daewoo has been wiped off the face of earth. Nothing on the Helm site at all for this carline.

There's enough unique pieces in that if we could just source one set of the stuff, someone could build one heck of a unique car. HID's, LED tails, complete set of massaging seats, custom OEM grille, WOW! The additional controls & special panel opposite the e-brake intrigue me, but with no schematics or manuals, you might have a problem with reverse-engineering it for a WM of our spec. You can forget any support out of Holden, except for someone - IF you can find them - that worked on that project from an engineering side. Maybe a few of the AU Commodore guys possibly, but it'd be a crapshoot at best.

It's like a candy store, except for that long shipping distance & charge. A set of headlights or tail lights might be do-able, but not the bigger stuff. I've heard anecdotally that guys using military transports sometimes stuck items on planes to get items back to the states, but that's pretty much unavailable to us.

I'm just going to keep trying to dig up an archival owners guide to start with so we can figure out what some of that stuff does. It'd be my luck to find a manual but have it be in Korean, lolol! I already noted the DIC on the clusters was coded in that language as well....

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Just a quick update, I found another site called "Spare Korea" and they listed 3,060 new spares for the Daewoo Veritas. If we just had a parts index for that puppy..... Now some of the parts were NLA, but for ones they had listed - giveaway prices. A new grille for $9.00 !!!! (before shipping and junk fees of course!)

https://www.sparekorea.com/product/part ... D&model=99

Eric
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Well, that $9 grille is actually a speaker grille :lol: . An actual upper rad grill is $170. The lower is $139.

Rear Emblem would be $23 or $72. The hood ornament is $174!
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

lol.... Blond moment :) But... it's still interesting flipping through the index and it is a parts number source...

Eric
roman1978

Post by roman1978 »

i tried ordering from the forst link they said they will not ship to usa
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Well... that's not very friendly of them. So much for parts sales through that company!

Thanks for passing that along. Anyone taking a vacation to Japan in the near future?? :D :D

Eric