Out of state purchase

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Ctuck21

Out of state purchase

Post by Ctuck21 »

Thinking of picking up a Caprice from CMI but I’m out of state and never done a vehicle purchase out of state. Is it better or safer/more secure to have dealer ship the vehicle or pay for a company I choose to pick up and ship? Seems like a real good deal and don’t want to pass it up.
2014 Caprice
2006 Silverado 2500HD LBZ
1965 Ford Falcon
No Moa

Re: Out of state purchase

Post by No Moa »

Bought mine out of Ohio, my local dealer contacted the selling GM dealer, bought it, and had it shipped thru his transporter. Car arrived damaged, been driven off the road, ruined 1 tire and wheel. Mud galore.
Shipping company said it was not driven and picked up that way, dealer in Ohio said bullshit. No one came thru to say yea it happened. I spent about $2000 having it fixed and cleaned. Still pisses me off 6 years later.
So, get exact mileage when it goes on the truck, where it will change trucks if it does, and all the truckers hauling it.
Pics of the car when it left and when it arrives. Verify milage when it’s on the truck.
I got f’d hard. But shipping can be great. Don’t use a cheap guy either. Spend a little and get better.
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1996 Impala ss (soon to be t56)
1995 9c1
1977 Trans am SE 4spd.
1978 trans am 400 4 spd.
Ctuck21

Post by Ctuck21 »

No Moa wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:38 pm Bought mine out of Ohio, my local dealer contacted the selling GM dealer, bought it, and had it shipped thru his transporter. Car arrived damaged, been driven off the road, ruined 1 tire and wheel. Mud galore.
Shipping company said it was not driven and picked up that way, dealer in Ohio said bullshit. No one came thru to say yea it happened. I spent about $2000 having it fixed and cleaned. Still pisses me off 6 years later.
So, get exact mileage when it goes on the truck, where it will change trucks if it does, and all the truckers hauling it.
Pics of the car when it left and when it arrives. Verify milage when it’s on the truck.
I got f’d hard. But shipping can be great. Don’t use a cheap guy either. Spend a little and get better.
That’s what I was thinking as far as what could go wrong. Hate that happened to ya.

Not saying it’s better but I might even choose enclosed transport to eliminate some factors.

Since I am unable to see the vehicle in person I was going to get a PPI done by some local. Anyone have experience with LemonSquad? Looks like they give pretty thorough inspections. I’ve also got a lot of videos and photos and even know where the vehicle was last purchased. I’m not worried about the exterior or any rust…more concerned about the risk with power train. But I guess that’s any car
2014 Caprice
1965 Ford Falcon
No Moa

Post by No Moa »

Most guys have had great luck with Chicago motors.
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1996 Impala ss (soon to be t56)
1995 9c1
1977 Trans am SE 4spd.
1978 trans am 400 4 spd.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Yeah, tell them what you want to do, and they'll line up a shipper there. It was ~$600 to ship our '18 Tahoe from CMI to the Houston area last year. They just tacked that charge to the total for the truck. It took a couple of days before the transport company picked it up, but when they did, the truck was rolling off the trailer the next day!!

We had Jon at Cop Cars Online in Tampa line up shippers on their end for both our '10 Tahoe and '12 PPV, and that also went off without a hitch. These online dealers do this stuff daily.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Ctuck21

Post by Ctuck21 »

CrashTestDummy wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:27 pm Yeah, tell them what you want to do, and they'll line up a shipper there. It was ~$600 to ship our '18 Tahoe from CMI to the Houston area last year. They just tacked that charge to the total for the truck. It took a couple of days before the transport company picked it up, but when they did, the truck was rolling off the trailer the next day!!

We had Jon at Cop Cars Online in Tampa line up shippers on their end for both our '10 Tahoe and '12 PPV, and that also went off without a hitch. These online dealers do this stuff daily.

Thanks for the info crashtest
2014 Caprice
1965 Ford Falcon
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

You're quite welcome, and good luck with your purchase!!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

I had mine shipped from Florida to So. CA. A couple years ago, purchased on Ebay but only paid the dn.payment on their site and the balance thru a bank transfer. Ebay gets a big chunk, around 12 to 21% . I hired the shipper from California, it was about $900 bucks, they placed it in the middle of the open car hauler with No issues, very happy with shipper. BTW what are they getting currently to ship per mile etc?
Thanks
Walt (AKA:Capeasy) So. Cal.
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's