Converter or tuning issues!!!!

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
dm1992

Converter or tuning issues!!!!

Post by dm1992 »

I have gotten my PPV back on the road after swapping the camshaft, deleting DOD and getting a mail in tune. Now when I put the car in gear it immediately lurches forward and at a stop it revs to 1200 or so and tries to push through the brakes. Is the problem my torque converter stall being too low or is it a tuning issues. No check engines lights or other warnings of any kind showing up.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: Converter or tuning issues!!!!

Post by Pursuit »

I am not an expert to diagnose this but I have a few observations to share. What size camshaft did you install? I installed a BTR Stage 1 camshaft and it will almost want to push through the brakes with a stock converter. Initially I would get a misfire code as the crankshaft sensor was seeing an unsteady count as the crankshaft was speeding up and slowing down in its rotation. He was able to "mute" the sensitivity threshold of setting the Check Engine illumination. Did your tuner mute or mask any codes to hide anything? Can you data log what is going on and send the log back to your tuner? My tuner was Chris Henry at CHenry Motorsports. Great guy to work with and we were able to fine tune the programing on my car. Good luck!

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

I also recommend Chris Henry. As for your issue are you still running a stock converter? Normally with a cam change it is a good idea to change converters to match your setup. I would get a new converter no matter what. Makes driving it much more enjoyable.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

Probably an issue than can be tuned around. My car has a TSP Stage 1 Cam on the stock converter and untuned it wanted to push through the converter really bad. I have since lowered the in gear idle (750 rpm) I could probably go a little lower but it stopped pushing for the most part.

Our black car has a BTR Stage 4 on a stock converter, its idle is also set to 750 but pushes a little harder on the converter than my car. I'm not convinced that the converter is entirely the issue with this car as it feels like the vacuum assist is lacking in the brake department, suggesting that it just doesn't have enough braking/vacuum at idle.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
dm1992

Post by dm1992 »

Hello everyone!

Sorry for not replying to your helpful posts but I have been away for a bit. I have finally removed the transmission and ordered a summit 3000-3200 stall converter for the Caprice. I am currently running a BTR stage 2 cam and the tuning was done by Michigan motorsports so I don't know what they hide or did/didn't do.
andrewquant

Post by andrewquant »

You shouldn't need to idle at 1200 for any cam. I run a 231/246 and I idle smooth at 950. Most likely your tune has either your base running airflow too high for the cam, or your idle RPM set too high, or your idle spark is too high. If you have something to read PIDs and you can post those numbers, I can cross check them for you.
2013 PPV Phantom black 1,077 RWHP 1,015 RWTQ 9.9@148
LS3 stroker 417ci, Callies crank w/ Malhe pistons & Darton sleeves. 11.5:1
Procharger F1a94. 22 psi boost E85
Water/Meth + 180hp N20
BTR custom cam 235/257 .638/.629 116, BTR shaft rockers Johnson 2126 lifters
BTR Trinity intake Kooks headers w/ Solo exhaust 3"
CDT Level 4 trans build w triple disc TC
Holley 120lb injectors
MT ET Street R 305/45/R18 on 10" widened OEM wheels.