2021 what is your favorite scan tool?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
JTRUCKJMC

2021 what is your favorite scan tool?

Post by JTRUCKJMC »

Searched around and found many options but was looking for opinions here at our forum. Victim is a 2013 6.0L 9C1 Caprice.
Would like to have a tool that can scan, program and look at various parameters. Also upgrade and program BCM. I don't have any scan tools yet so I want to buy it right the first time, I could also use it for other GM vehicle I have that fall in the same age group. THX in advance for your advise.
Mooseman

Re: 2021 what is your favorite scan tool?

Post by Mooseman »

For the money, you can't beat the Tech 2. Your 2013 is the last year that was available on it. Another option is an MDI to use with a laptop which would future proof you for any newer vehicles you might get later. It comes with a Tech 2 emulator to install on the laptop and will also work with your 2013. Both of these will allow you to program modules using an ACDelco TDS subscription, which is $40USD for 2 years for one vehicle.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
JTRUCKJMC

Post by JTRUCKJMC »

THX Mooseman I appreciate your input.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I got the Foxwell and am pretty pleased with it. It is a bi directional tool that is usually in the thousands got it for under $200.

I got the 530 then you order a GM specific Data pack and that gives you all the special features like Brake pedal reset, abs bleeding,

https://www.foxwelltech.us/product-detail-524.html

BUt if you think you wanna do any module programming then yea the MDI is the way to go, they you can also emulate a tech 2 with a PC and the MDI.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
JTRUCKJMC

Post by JTRUCKJMC »

THX smwalker, more options to think on.