New Shopper - Any Experience with the dealers listed in the Classified?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
grosen84

New Shopper - Any Experience with the dealers listed in the Classified?

Post by grosen84 »

Hello all, please forgive me and move this if it's in the wrong spot. I'm shopping for a PPV and was wondering if anyone has made a purchase from Chicago or Asia motors? Chicago is offering free shipping right now, which makes it enticing since there are none available near me. Any members have any feedback on any of the below dealers' professionalism or honesty? They hunt out broken wrecks to hide problems and upsell or are they reputable with quality inventory? Looking forward to hearing your responses.
cerbomark

Re: New Shopper - Any Experience with the dealers listed in the Classified?

Post by cerbomark »

when I was searching they did seem to get some nice low miles/hours cars. They get higher dollar as expected. I found one on my own but wouldn't hesitate to buy from them. I have heard good things mostly.
Where are you located? What are you looking for?
Good luck.
2016 C1
grosen84

Post by grosen84 »

I'm in Norcal, looking for a 9C3, which looking at the classifieds it seems I'm not alone out here :lol: I'm willing to pay good money for a good quality car, just don't want to pay a premium when I shouldn't have.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

I have had a very good experience with Asia Motors. Wasn't for a Caprice, but for a low mileage 2012 9C1 Impala. They were very good to communicate with, provided extra pictures. Keep in mind that the 9C3 option was only available for the three years, 2011, '12 and '13. Good Luck!

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

And we've purchased two vehicles from Copcars Online. One was our '10 Tahoe PPV, and the other was our '12 9C1. They even arranged to have both vehicles shipped from FL to TX. They've been great vehicles, so far. I'd call them again if I had need.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
nmargrave

Post by nmargrave »

Bought a Caprice 3 years ago, within 10000 miles, needed new lifters, lifter trays, new push rods. I heard a pop and the stabilitrak light and engine light came on. The car had 18000 miles when I bought it, with 9000 idle miles. If I would have known more, Maybe I would not have bought one with such high idle miles. Bought it from Chicago Motors, paid top dollar. I am handy, so I rebuild the top of the motor in a weekend, but still, was pissed abouuut the whole situation. I personally would not buy another car from them.
2013 9C1 6.0L Kooks to 3in Solo exhaust, Livernois tune, AFM disabled, with a manual oil block off in the oil sensor hole, Rotofab CAI, Viper alarm system with remote start, 8 inch subwoofer, Camaro transmission pan, daily driver.
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

nmargrave wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:51 am Bought a Caprice 3 years ago, within 10000 miles, needed new lifters, lifter trays, new push rods. I heard a pop and the stabilitrak light and engine light came on. The car had 18000 miles when I bought it, with 9000 idle miles. If I would have known more, Maybe I would not have bought one with such high idle miles. Bought it from Chicago Motors, paid top dollar. I am handy, so I rebuild the top of the motor in a weekend, but still, was pissed abouuut the whole situation. I personally would not buy another car from them.
In all fairness Chicago Motors would probably not have known of the issue. They buy cars at auction, clean them up, and flip them. You just never know buying used and it is the luck of the draw. In your case you got the short end unfortunately. I have never personally purchased from them but have competed with them purchasing units at auction. Buying used service vehicles is always a gamble. No warranty, as is. Once it rolls off the lot it is your responsibility.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

I'll echo the same. I've bought & sold ex-police cars since the 1980's and sometimes these cars can catch even the most diligent buyers & dealers unaware with hidden defects. I bought a car one time (1983 Dodge Diplomat, yeah I know it dates me!) from a city auction that started & idled fine, sounded good (no ticks, knocks, or other mysterious noises) and was in fairly decent shape body & interior-wise. The car only had 45K miles or so on it patrolling this sleepy little town over about 3 years of service. The city maintenance manager was there and said just routine maintenance & no gross defects that he was aware of. Sounds like a decent deal doesn't it!

Well, after I shelled my $90 out for the car (most of the buyers wanted bicycles, yeah small beach town!) we threw a dealer temp tag on it and started driving it. It lasted 10 miles and then bottomed out on low oil pressure right by Interstate 95. So, after Captain Hook did his thing and we towed it the rest of the way to my friend's salvage yard, we pulled the oil pan. Glop. Nasty glop. The oil they were using in the car had the works so paraffin'd up that the oil pump couldn't pump. I ended up yanking the 318 2bbl and putting in a 360 4bbl, turned that car into a snarling monster! Plenty of power, plenty of torque, and I could spin the wheels on it from a standing start no problem.

Anyway, I was a bit upset after this happened so I paid the local City Hall a visit the following week. Turns out the maintenance records on the car were "not available as they had been destroyed when the car was sold". Oh yeah..... no problems my big rotund heiny!

Don't get me wrong, there are dealers out there that'll throw a load of Motor Honey into a problem engine and then blow the car out on a sale price with a spiff for the salesman to unload the turkey before it can multiply on the lot. But nowadays large volume dealers do have their professional on-line reputation to consider as well. A few of those and word can get out pretty quickly, Reddit, Yelp, car forum sites, Facebook, Google reviews, search engines scoop up all....

Sorry you got unlucky, but stuff does happen sometimes despite best-effort diligence. High idle hours are death on motors.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.