Hello, Question, and Hood Latch/Wiring Picture Request

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
BJThorndyke

Hello, Question, and Hood Latch/Wiring Picture Request

Post by BJThorndyke »

Hi! New to the forum, thanks for having me.

Picked up a 6.0L 2014 PPV on Monday. 58k miles on the clock, less than 1k idle hours. It was a state police car that was in a pretty gnarly front end accident, but the damage was mostly cosmetic. A small dealer bought it and put it back together, albeit shoddily, and I bought it from them. I'm doing a full nuts and bolts check this weekend as I've already found a few loose ones.

One thing I noticed did not work was the windshield washer. My question is - is the motor noisy when it's squirting? Because I don't hear anything, and I wonder if they didn't plug it back in when putting the front end back together.

As far as the picture request - the only other thing that does not work is the remote start. When the car was put back together I think the hood latch was replaced with an early one that doesn't have the sensor in it. Can anyone with the right latch and remote start take a picture of the latch and the wiring to the connector into the car's loom? It would be especially helpful if I could see wire colors, as there are some cut wires in the area of where I think the connector into the loom should be.

Thank you!
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Hello, Question, and Hood Latch/Wiring Picture Request

Post by smwalker »

For the Hood Latch - Looks to be a purple wire and a black wire. Later the purple switches to a brown with a green stripe but at the switch/latch it should be purple.
https://www.chiltonlibrary.com/content/ ... 601710.pdf

It runs through X126 and that is number 5 on this diagram:
https://www.chiltonlibrary.com/content/ ... 217138.pdf

Ah but the pinout says at the switch it would be Brown / Green so I do not know what to tell you.
Screenshot 2020-02-28 at 2.12.29 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-02-28 at 2.12.29 PM.png (161.96 KiB) Viewed 7035 times
Pigtail is not terrible expensive if you need it:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... cc=1440291
GM Part Number 13580871 AC Delco: PT2647

If you want to make up your own I can see if I can find that info for you. let me know.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

For the Washer system. Those wires also run through X126, wondering what condition that connector is in ??

Got a fuse in the under hood box # 11 - 20 Amp

Diagram:
https://www.chiltonlibrary.com/content/ ... 601762.pdf

Fuse Box View:
https://www.chiltonlibrary.com/content/ ... 318360.pdf
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
BJThorndyke

Post by BJThorndyke »

Steve, you legend, thank you for the great response!

We've had a lovely day here in central IL, from temperatures in the teens to the high 50s, so I went outside to check things out.

The washer pump was unplugged, but the connector is nowhere to be found. Looks like a 2 wire, and from that lovely diagram it's one grey/violet and one black ground? Either way I'll just go get the multimeter and figure it out that way.

There are probably 8 wires cut in the passenger front area of the engine compartment so I'm guessing some of those were for the hood latch as well, which I'll need to order.
BJThorndyke

Post by BJThorndyke »

Following up on an old post. I ended up finding and grounding out the brown/green wire with a 2.2k ohm resistor and that fooled the car into thinking the hood was closed. Remote start back in business.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I will speak up and be the safety Sam of the group and tell you what you did there bypassing the hood latch is not a good thing.

Imagine going to swap out your serpentine belt, put the keys in your pocket, start work, lean over the front clip and the button for the remote start lands on a bolt head and starts the car. Happens at the exact moment you have your hands right in the path of the belt and they get sucked into a pulley. Not pretty.

So glad you got it working. I Just encourage you to get it working the way the general intended!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
BJThorndyke

Post by BJThorndyke »

Hello Steve,

I appreciate the thought. I actually went down that route, trying to do it the "right" way. The trick is that my car was in an accident before I got it and most of the front end panels were replaced. The hood was replaced with an earlier one, and the hood latch was an earlier one. I bought the later latch (and the body side plug since wires were cut) but it just wouldn't work, could not get enough engagement to close the hood. So I returned the latch and went this direction.

It's good to keep in mind that keeping the keys in the pocket is not a good idea when working under the hood. Thankfully even if they were in the pocket the likelihood that you got the combination right on the remote (lock, lock, hold remote start) would be quite low.
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

I was thinking the same thoughts as Steve. I have locked doors with the keys in my pocket. If you have anyone else in the household, is there a possibility that someone could start it while they are in the house. It would suck if you were doing a quick check and someone decides to start the car. I would be tempted to mount a switch on the core support to act as a hood not latched switch since things have been changed up.