Caprice video (ideas/comments please)

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Gkk2001

Caprice video (ideas/comments please)

Post by Gkk2001 »

I ran across this Caprice review on YouTube that appears to be from Saudi Arabia or somewhere near their. This Caprice also appears to be 100% civilian. Maybe that will not be of a surprise to some of you but my understanding was a 2011 Caprice was never made as a civilian car? I left a comment questioning the owner but the video was posted in 2018 so an answer is not expected. Your thoughts and comments please.

https://youtu.be/8F5sKo9fPbc
Gkk2001

Re: Caprice video (ideas/comments please)

Post by Gkk2001 »

I think I know the answer to my earlier confusion. I just saw another YT video of the Austrailian version. So obviously the cars were exported throughout the world as civilian cars except the US. Sorry for my confusion but it is an eye opener for me. Again, I would love to hear your comments and correct me accordingly.
robertgadany

Post by robertgadany »

Cool! I would love to have this car!
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Just saw this for the first time. Very interesting indeed. A Caprice with a sunroof! Dash trim is different although I was never a fan of fake wood. Do find the different cluster interesting. The radio is also a little different with extra buttons. Might give ideas on where to get some of these since they do have the GPS hardware although getting NA maps may be a challenge, especially updated ones since GM has been dropping support of the older hardware. Wonder if it's a Bose because it's in an LTZ.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

I hadn't looked that closely at the mid east variants, the sunroof is the only thing I really wish my car had.

Other interesting differences: hydraulic power steering, and information is a little hard to find but it seems like it was a cathedral port (ls2) based engine, along with either a 4l60 or 4l80 instead of the 6l80.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

My NA 2011 also has hydraulic power steering. I think 2014 was the first year for electric on these.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

BluesBro wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:56 pm <SNIP>
Other interesting differences: hydraulic power steering, and information is a little hard to find but it seems like it was a cathedral port (ls2) based engine, along with either a 4l60 or 4l80 instead of the 6l80.
There's a TON of information regarding all things Caprice here:

http://www.newcaprice.com/files.htm

It requires some browsing time, but you can find differences between years there as well as other nice tidbits. Yes, Mooseman, I believe you are correct about the 2014 date. Our '12 has hydraulic steering. Wife's new-to-us 2018 Tahoe has electric steering, which I find disconcerting.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?