Not a NewCaprice but B-Body fans will like this

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
yargnits

Not a NewCaprice but B-Body fans will like this

Post by yargnits »

Check this rebuild out...

https://youtu.be/-HstJWZ8SPw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
CrashTestDummy

Re: Not a NewCaprice but B-Body fans will like this

Post by CrashTestDummy »

The wheels: They are keeping with the stock aesthetic, but are CNCed wheels that we did to keep the stock, sort of police interceptor look, but turn it into a lighter-weight, higher-performance, wider track wheel design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where the heck do I find those, and if they're CNCed, how much to replace the center with a 120 mm bolt pattern?!?

NOT the ones noted in the vid above, but these are close:

http://www.azproperformance.com/US-Mag- ... -U442.html

NOT cheap, but it looks like you might be able to get different diameters/widths/offsets/bolt patterns/finishes. Not sure where the center caps would come from. They don't seem to be listed there.
Last edited by CrashTestDummy on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

I saw this and thought it was awesome. I hope this late-model restomod trend keeps catching steam.
-----------------------------------------------------------
2012 Chevrolet Caprice "The Daily"
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS 25th anniversary "The Wannabe Racecar"
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Very nice job! You know, it's hard to imagine the B-body cars are now 26 years old as of October 1 (starting with the original 1991 design of course). The American Police Hall of Fame and museum in Titusville, FL has an original 1991 GM fleet demo B-body, still in all original factory colors/LEO demo car markings and light bar. Don't know what it's worth but I technically still have first dibs on it if the museum ever goes to sell it. Of course that means it comes with the old L05 as well... lol... Boy that model year sure could have used a back-up camera if there ever was a car that needed it!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

elc32955 wrote:Very nice job! You know, it's hard to imagine the B-body cars are now 26 years old as of October 1 (starting with the original 1991 design of course). The American Police Hall of Fame and museum in Titusville, FL has an original 1991 GM fleet demo B-body, still in all original factory colors/LEO demo car markings and light bar. Don't know what it's worth but I technically still have first dibs on it if the museum ever goes to sell it. Of course that means it comes with the old L05 as well... lol... Boy that model year sure could have used a back-up camera if there ever was a car that needed it!

Eric
My first police car was a '91 former Indiana State Police car. The best part of the car was the spotlight still in the a-pillar. I loved the was it kept the left lane clear for me, but the best thing it did for me was get me into the Indy 500 for free. I went for the infield parking that year and when I went to pay a trooper waved me through saying "we don't have to pay". :) I followed that car up with a '95 detective Caprice with the LT1 (pictured). I had the pleasure of replacing the opti-spark on that one, like most of us did.
TAand959C1.jpg
TAand959C1.jpg (44.01 KiB) Viewed 14854 times
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

I had to do three, count 'em - 3 opti's on my car over the five years I owned it. One was courtesy of a water pump that went south and dribbled water out of the weep-hole, the other two were two separate flooding incidents from tossed-up water that was in puddles or flooded roads. One good spray-down of water and those optical distributors were done. Such a poor design.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Our 95 9C1 I did the opti because it was running poorly (turned out to be a bad FPR). Replaced it with a NOS Delco unit. The car ran okay for a while, then started to run REALLY bad. I swapped back in the OLD Opti, and it was back to running okay. I also did the plug wires when I replaced the opti the first time. I'd LOVE to find the engineer who thought up the opti and wire configuration on those cars, and buy him/them a kick in the nards!! Replace spark plug procedure that starts with step 1: remove engine, is just nuts.

My wife beat that car like a cop, and it returned very reliable service until we sold it late last year with nearly 200K miles on the clock. And yes, even without the spot, it cleared the left lane, and probably got her out of some difficult situations with cops. The buyer was a Cop in St. Louis who was looking for a relatively-unmolested 94-96 9C1 to replace his box 9C1. He's currently enjoying it, modding as he goes.

We still have two B-body cars, luckily, no Opti's yet.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Well, I emailed ICON to see; 1. if they'd actually answer my query, and 2. to see what it might take to get these wheels produced for the 2011/2016 Caprice.

They actually answered back! :shock:

They sent me a wheel fitment form to fill out and send back. It actually looks like a standard wheel manufacturer's wheel fitment form, but I don't care. Here it is:

Now I gotta get out to the garage to get some dimensions. Does anyone have some of these? Luckily, I do have a couple of unmounted factory wheels. Just need time to get out to the shop and measure.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
kevink

Post by kevink »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Well, I emailed ICON to see; 1. if they'd actually answer my query, and 2. to see what it might take to get these wheels produced for the 2011/2016 Caprice.

They actually answered back! :shock:

They sent me a wheel fitment form to fill out and send back. It actually looks like a standard wheel manufacturer's wheel fitment form, but I don't care. Here it is:

Now I gotta get out to the garage to get some dimensions. Does anyone have some of these? Luckily, I do have a couple of unmounted factory wheels. Just need time to get out to the shop and measure.
You might as well ask them if they can make clones of our wheels, not just ones that fit our cars and look like the ones on the car in the video.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

That wheel is about as close as one can get to our steel wheels, only not in steel. Since they've already done the research, those costs were hopefully, mostly, absorbed by their last customer. I'm hoping these won't have much of the 'development' premium added to them, although I really do fear they'll be $700+ per corner.

I'm just guessing here, but it's based on all their other List prices they have on the other items on their site. Still, I'm willing to try to see what they want for the wheels they have, I don't want to rock the boat much.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?