Not a NewCaprice but B-Body fans will like this

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Not a NewCaprice but B-Body fans will like this

Post by Navy Lifer »

CrashTestDummy wrote:That wheel is about as close as one can get to our steel wheels, only not in steel. Since they've already done the research, those costs were hopefully, mostly, absorbed by their last customer. I'm hoping these won't have much of the 'development' premium added to them, although I really do fear they'll be $700+ per corner.
There is precedent, for those who remember:
http://jimmcilvaine.sportsblog.com/post ... essed.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finding the issue of GMHTP is the trick....the wheels were probably one-offs, but the style could be duplicated.

Try this--it's called LN-11:
http://hotrodsbyboyd.com/ln-11/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://billetwheel.com/wp-content/uploa ... C_6877.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone think that LN-11 wasn't modeled, at least in part, from this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-16-Chevrolet ... pG&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Man, that just reinforces my opinion that not a single decent-looking wheel has ever come out of the Coddington shop! What a butt-ugly wheel. That may match a 9C3 hubcap, but not a 9C1 wheel, which is what I'm trying to find.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Neither like or dislike it--but I wouldn't pass judgment until I saw this on a car.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Maybe they look different in person, but my first thought from the pictures were: "Ew!" :mrgreen:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Holden_buff

Post by Holden_buff »

I'm on the search for a good 4th generation car like this, I love the 96 Caprices and Impala SS. How much am I looking to spend to get into one that I won't regret? I see there are several people on this forum that have experience with them, so I think I'm in good hand advice-wise.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV X 2
2006 Pontiac GTO
2009 Honda Civic Si
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Maybe they look different in person, but my first thought from the pictures were: "Ew!" :mrgreen:
My issues with the wheel--all unknowns at present:

1. weight--the OE steel wheel is already 32# bare
2. air flow/brake cooling--is it comparable to the N97 wheel?
3. caliper clearance--we already know the OE wheel clears the Brembo 4-piston caliper.
4. cost--being custom, they're not going to be inexpensive

As far as appearance--yes, it's different--the reaction to the 9C3 wheel covers was not so warm & fuzzy initially. Comparing the HRBB LN-11 wheel to the 9C1/9C3 steel wheel is not possible--they aren't the same. The one thing I'd want to see is different finishes and coloring of the LN-11 before I made a hard judgment, if the 4 things listed above didn't rule it out for possible use--let's see a PPV steel wheel painted white or argent (silver) to get some idea of how attractive or unattractive these 2 "variations on a theme" are when placed side by side.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Holden_buff wrote:I'm on the search for a good 4th generation car like this, I love the 96 Caprices and Impala SS. How much am I looking to spend to get into one that I won't regret? I see there are several people on this forum that have experience with them, so I think I'm in good hand advice-wise.
We pretty much gave our 95 9C1 away, but it had nearly 200K on it, although it was in pretty decent shape. Ours went for $2K, and good, lower-mile 9C1s are starting to appreciate in price, because they are usually retired with well north of 100K miles on them. So if you find a nice one with less than 100K on the clock, I'd not be adverse to paying $5K-$7K. The SS is going to have a premium attached to it, because they were civilian vehicles and you can find some nice ones with low miles, as well as nicely-modded ones with low miles.

You should become familiar with the cars for sale section of the Impala SS Forum:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/ ... rice-sale/

There's a 94 SS for sale now, a Florida car, for $3500.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

I have a bad ass 95, I'd sell for 10k, and throw in a roll back trailer. It's a street strip car, could easily be street legal. The engine would cost 10k in today's money. Everything I have is nice, and built by pros. 8-)

There are people on this board who have seen it. I won't ship it, don't need to sell it, but I would love for it to go to a B-body guy or gal, it's time to move on.
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

leadfart wrote:I have a bad ass 95, I'd sell for 10k, and throw in a roll back trailer. It's a street strip car, could easily be street legal. The engine would cost 10k in today's money. Everything I have is nice, and built by pros. 8-)

There are people on this board who have seen it. I won't ship it, don't need to sell it, but I would love for it to go to a B-body guy or gal, it's time to move on.
Rollbacks are awesome! We got one late last year, and have been really enjoying it. Beats the heck out of dragging the ramps out. Our old trailer had extra-long ramps, making loading the autocross car a breeze, but all that length in steel really adds up! We discovered our rollback for sale pretty cheap, my wife said 'We're not getting any younger, get it!', so it came home with us.

So our old trailer is also for sale, but $10K for that '95 AND a rollback is a smoking deal!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

Thanks, Gene

It is a super nice car, but I probably can't give it away. It has a lot of trick stuff, seven gallon, sumpted fuel tank, custom ignition, LTCCC, you would have to be able to wrench on it. 8-) Hell, I've forgotten how I installed half the stuff! :lol:

I just don't drive it anymore. Plus, I have lots of spare parts. Oh well, that's how it goes! :mrgreen:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe