Super Chevy online - new article

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Super Chevy online - new article

Post by Navy Lifer »

http://www.superchevy.com/news/1512-bad ... terceptor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CrashTestDummy

Re: Super Chevy online - new article

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Performance isn't everything, even though it's the stuff that magazines pay attention to. The guys I talked with at the Police Academy always commented about how the Taurus' (Taurii?) were always broken. All that complex turbo V6 AWD kit makes for expensive repairs. That, and one of the guys said you can't see a thing out the back of the car, even before you install any police gear.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

"It’s no secret production of the V8-powered, rear-wheel-drive Impala goes out of production at the end of 2017"

Am I missing something here? Is there a RWD V8 powered Impala out there I'm not aware of?
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

A little side project that the Skunkworks are working on. It's built in Bowling Green. ;)
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

I wonder what was done so differently that the ford came out on top ? Was it a different course or something ?
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

Gerome wrote:I wonder what was done so differently that the ford came out on top ? Was it a different course or something ?
A lot of reasons but basically marketing and fuel efficiency. I suspect some agencies that already had been buying Fords stayed with them. Change is difficult in government. If you look at the data for most years, Ford only barely comes out on top when you combine both models they sell. Even with a somewhat tarnished reputation in LE, the Dodge Charger stills outsell the Taurus most years by a wide margin. People do still want RWD because of driving dynamics, ease of service and they tend to hold up better. This is an interesting concept to those that think Ford "won" just because they offer AWD and turbocharging. If you could see the breakdown, you would see that the Ecoboost is far the minority in Ford police vehicles compared to NA equipped versions. Its like a $3100 option which is way more than the 1200 Hemi option of the no cost option V8 in the Caprice.

A lot of people think they need an SUV because cars are too small these days and to some degree that is correct. Officers who are lucky enough to experience are very surprised with how much more room a Caprice has for drivers and passengers than the Explorer. An the Explorer does not have that much more cargo space unless you don't need your back window to see out of. Tahoe is now way to expensive and does not get the fuel mileage that the car based explorer does. That sums it up.

And I just realized we may be talking about performance and not sales. I did not read the article because I knew it would depress me. I'm still holding onto the small possibility the Caprice will survive another generation being produced somewhere other than Australia. I have driven both cars and I will say that the Taurus is s good handling car but the Caprice Handles better IMHO. The Taurus can put the power to the ground better and has a much flatter torque band when the Eco Boost motor is equipped which explains the slightly better performance. In the real world they are about dead even. Let it snow, probably a much different story.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

GTObert wrote:"It’s no secret production of the V8-powered, rear-wheel-drive Impala goes out of production at the end of 2017"
I saw that and just let it go without a mention, just to see what reactions would be....Super Chevy is in that time warp where the last Impala/Caprice that meant anything in their world was the 94-96, and the writer or proofreader didn't stop to think or realize that the two models are no longer on the same platform.
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

I just found it funny that the headline promotes the Taurus and all the articles pictures are of the Caprice.
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

well, after all, it is Super Chevy magazine....why should a Ford get it's picture in a Chevy-oriented publication?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

And a picture of a disc brake rotor. Really? What a waste of bits! I can only figure they posted a picture of a Taurus, and the SuperChevy net nanny covered that obscenity. :D
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?