2014 Caprice PPV - YouTube Project Car

Tell us about your new PPV, show us some pictures, let us know how you did what you did!
Forum rules
One thread per car per member in this section. No thread hijacking in this section please, if it's strictly a tech discussion please move it to the appropriate sub-forum - moderators can assist if needed or requested.
rcg530

Re: 2014 Caprice PPV - YouTube Project Car

Post by rcg530 »

Mooseman wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:39 pm I think that's a hard coded thing by GM in all their BCM programming for police vehicles. All GM police vehicles have all automatic horn functions disabled, including the confirmation of locked doors and the panic. It used to piss me off that it didn't work when looking for MY police car in the lot when they all look alike. Fords worked. Weird GM logic.
I was able to get the locked door confirmation horn honk (double press of lock button on FOB) to work by changing the setting in the radio head unit config data. The only one I can't get to work is the Panic button.
2014 Chevy Caprice PPV | RetroCarGuy530 YouTube Channel
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Just tested it on my 2013. Background with my 13 is I did the acdelco TIS programming as well for the Immobilizer, RFA module, and Theft deterrent module, all + or yes for remote start.

Chris White said he also allowed the module to work when he programmed my BCM for remote start.

Under the conditions you mentioned, if I roll the window down, and lock the door with the fob, the theft light (car and padlock) illuminates. If I wait the 30 seconds it begins to flash every couple of seconds.

Did the door handle by reaching in as you mentioned, and I got the horn honking along with the taillights and front signal lights flashing, and the interior dome lights flash.

Panic button as a standalone thing does not work on my car, but when the anti theft measures are met it does go into alarm.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Being an '11, the first year, mine has the weird programming, like the inability to turn off traction control/Stabilitrak. I too have reprogrammed the BCM and Immobilizer in my attempt to get the remote start working and did enable the dome on with the door but saw no options to enable the lock/honk. Also saw no options for theft deterrent but I haven't tested to see if it works.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
rcg530

Radio Head Unit (silverbox) reprogramming

Post by rcg530 »

I just pulled out the radio head unit (silverbox) from my 2014 Caprice and shipped it off to White Auto and Media for reprogramming to get the backup camera operational. I already retrofitted a 2017 Caprice PPV trunk lid (better condition than mine and it already had the backup camera). I installed the backup camera wiring harness from Steve Walker. The only thing left is to get the backup camera activated along with getting the SiriusXM receiver software activated in the silverbox as well.

While I have the center dash opened up, I might as well pull the seats again to install the carpet flooring that I recently acquired from another 2014 Caprice PPV in a local wrecking yard. I will also install the aftermarket center console that I have for the Caprice. I've been waiting to complete all of the radio work before I install the new center console.

I also have tons of things to work on in the engine bay. New water pump, new cooling fan motors (too late and too many miles for service campaign to fix those for free), new thermostat, radiator hoses.

I also have several things to do on my other vehicle (Chevy SSR pickup), but I have to wait to get the Caprice functional again before I take the SSR down for repairs.
rcg530

Project Status Update - 5/30/2020

Post by rcg530 »

I give you an update on the status of the active projects for my 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV project car. I removed the radio head unit for updating and I replaced the rubberized flooring with carpet from another 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7KETUGfllw
rcg530

Replace Spark Plugs & Wires

Post by rcg530 »

I show the steps I used to replace the spark plugs and spark plug wires. The 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV has a 6.0L L77 engine. ACDelco lists the spark plugs for the 2011 to 2014 Caprice PPV L77 engine as 41-162 Iridium spark plugs. The owner's manual lists the correct plug as 41-110 Iridium spark plugs and ACDelco shows that the 2015 to 2017 Caprice PPV use the 41-110 Iridium spark plugs.

Since my engine was using 41-110 Iridium plugs, its owner's manual lists the correct plug as 41-110 and the 2015 to 2017 list the 41-110 as the correct plug and the 2015 to 2017 are the most similar to my 2014 Caprice PPV, I used ACDelco 41-110 Iridium spark plugs.

I replaced the original spark plug wires with ACDelco 748UU since they are listed as the original equipment (OE) version of the spark plug wires for this engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFs9_u6y3sw
rcg530

Rear Door Lock Rod Install

Post by rcg530 »

My 2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV was configured with RPO build code 6N6 - "Rear Door locks and handles Inoperative". The rear door lock knobs and their connecting rods were not installed in the vehicle. In some situations, if the Caprice PPV was not configured with RPO code 6N6, the police vehicle upfitter may have removed the rear door lock rods/knobs.

This quick tip video shows you how to install the rear door lock rods to give you access once again to the rear door lock knobs in your Caprice PPV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HFnUXqzBko
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

What about the handle to open the door from the inside? And did you reconnect the rear window switches? On my '11, the is a connector under the carpet under the passenger front seat to reactivate the rear window switches. The cables to the door handles had to be reattached to them.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
rcg530

Post by rcg530 »

Mooseman wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:29 pm What about the handle to open the door from the inside? And did you reconnect the rear window switches? On my '11, the is a connector under the carpet under the passenger front seat to reactivate the rear window switches. The cables to the door handles had to be reattached to them.
In the rear door lock rod/knob video, I mention the video where I reconnect the interior door handles because it also shows how to remove the inner door panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhzmuGdjYUY

I have another video where I show how I reprogrammed the BCM on my 2014 Caprice PPV to activate the rear door window switches, DRLs and automatic headlights - after getting my FOBs working again I also activated the theft deterrent system feature using the same process of updating the BCM. I believe the 2011-2013 have the connector you mentioned to reactivate the rear door window switches, but I don't have that year Caprice to use in a video to show how to reconnect that wiring harness connector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AB_Hu9wT38
rcg530

Replace Defective Engine Cooling Fan Motors

Post by rcg530 »

The Chevy Caprice PPV engine can be idled for a large number of hours due to its police service duties. Idling the engine for extended periods of time can cause an excessive amount of wear on the engine cooling system fans. The two electric cooling fans used in the Chevy Caprice PPV can fail due to the large number of hours they may be required to run due to engine idling.

In this video, I show you how I replaced the two engine cooling fan motors in my 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHTVwAq7mPU