The no budget build - manual, LSA, SS

Tell us about your new PPV, show us some pictures, let us know how you did what you did!
Forum rules
One thread per car per member in this section. No thread hijacking in this section please, if it's strictly a tech discussion please move it to the appropriate sub-forum - moderators can assist if needed or requested.
fuzzkill

Re: The no budget build - manual, LSA, SS

Post by fuzzkill »

I'm alive!

I dropped the rear cradle (again) to install the diff bushing inserts, only to realize that I have the G8 inserts, and they don't fit. I definitely did not want full poly cradle bushings, so I started looking at what else is available.

For the SS (assuming that is what the 14+ PPV would need), all I could find was lower bushing inserts. Upon closer inspection I realized the overall shape and dimensions of the SS inserts are the same, but the G8 has extra cavities in the stock bushing so the poly mounts have extra tabs sticking out that aren't there on the SS bushing. This was an easy enough fix, I ground off the extra tabs on the lower bushing inserts and they slipped right in. Unfortunately, the top of the bushings is very different, and basically has no void to fill, so I have nothing to install on the uppers. Hopefully the lowers will stop deflection and movement without transferring much additional NVH like solid poly bushings would.

I put the subframe back into the car and then dropped the diff out. Next I will be prepping the Camaro diff with the new bushings and installing that.

I never knew you could get a PPV without an LSD. I guess only the V8's only got the LSD units? It's hard enough to sell a 2.92 LSD unit, I'm pretty sure nobody is going to want this :lol:
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Looks like the V6 cars got the non-LSD rears standard, there's one sitting in mine right now. :( We've tossed around gearing threads to death over the years on here, I still maintain the 3.45 is the golden ticket. That's what the L77 cars were designed for before the end-stage changes.... I ran one for 4 years. Fun ratio!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

elc32955 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:03 am Looks like the V6 cars got the non-LSD rears standard, there's one sitting in mine right now. :( We've tossed around gearing threads to death over the years on here, I still maintain the 3.45 is the golden ticket. That's what the L77 cars were designed for before the end-stage changes.... I ran one for 4 years. Fun ratio!

Eric
For sure, 3.45 was a great fit with my manual swapped 2013. I just think with the blower on it I'll want a little bit longer gears with how fast it will be going through them
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

Got the diff ready to install, picking up new seals today and then I'll toss it in. Had a hell of a time getting the old bushings out, much worse than usual. There was a ton of corrosion between the steel sleeve and the housing. Even removing all the rubber first it was still a PITA. But they are done.

Got a few errands to run, hopefully one of them involves picking up my carpet today.
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

Got the diff installed without issue, I did have a slight problem with the toe rod attachment to the spindle.

But sometimes you can fix things without going off the deep end.

I had to put a lot of preload on the spindle to get it aligned with the toe rod, and the bolt must have gone off centered. But the home made thread chaser fixed it right up. I think it's one of the front cradle bolts from the SS :lol:

My carpet finally showed up as well! Was excited to pick it up and now I understand why shipping would have been $200-$250. Order from your local dealer if at all possible to avoid that.
Right after I laid the carpet in the car, I noticed the glaring absence of the floor ducts. Dammit. But now I can reinstall the HVAC box and start piecing the dash back together - although I might recover and reinstall the headliner first.

I also prepped the windshield for removal. I haven't priced it yet but I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get the SS windshield installed in the car. I could transfer the mounts from the SS windshield, but the factory black dot pattern would interfere with where the camera is supposed to mount. It could be done, but getting it done to look factory would be difficult. Windshield is the easy way out. Back in the day, GM had a different windshield when a car was optioned with HUD as well, no idea if that is still a thing or not since all the SS's came with a HUD. But it may have some additional anti-glare coating to aid the HUD.
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

Got my almost new tires swapped off my old wheels from my 2013 and onto the steelies I'm using on this car. Will they be enough tire? Hell no. Will they be better than the dry rotted Eagle RS-A's? Hell yes.

Also found a reasonable price to have my headliner redone, I did it myself on my 13 and it was OK, but it wasn't perfect. Headliner is already out of the car so they can't charge very much to recover it :lol: . I am going with charcoal/black headliner. I will need to respray the pillars, overhead console, and visors the same as I did on my last car.

And I supposedly have an appointment for the windshield tomorrow afternoon, I guess I'm going to find out if the guy is on the same page as me for what I wanted to do!
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Since spending other's money is a great hobby, I'll go ahead and ask... you consider going with alcantara or the like for the headliner since it's already out of the car?

Thanks for the pics and updates
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

lastcall190 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:05 am Since spending other's money is a great hobby, I'll go ahead and ask... you consider going with alcantara or the like for the headliner since it's already out of the car?

Thanks for the pics and updates
No, just going with stock fabric material, but in black. It would be neat but I can't justify it for something I'm not going to touch or even really look at.

Headliner guy didn't call yet, but I picked up the correct vinyl/fabric paint I was looking for. Went ahead and painted all the pillars, rear dome, overhead console, and visors. Need to find the visor clips and paint those but everything else is done. Visors soaked in a lot of paint to come out even.

I extended my side curtain airbag wires, so with that when the headliner is done it should be ready to reinstall.

Also added the clutch circuit to the dash harness, so that is ready to install as soon as the windshield is done. Going to leave the cabin open for now to make things easy for the windshield guy.
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

Soooo the windshield guy ended up showing up at almost 9pm. He said he'd get out here today and he kept his word.

Took the windshield out of the Caprice, and then went out to the SS to try and remove it in one piece. It went smoothly, and I helped prep the Caprice for the new windshield as well as cleaning up the SS windshield before reinstall.

We did a dry fit in ensure it would fit, and then glued it in.

Now I have the proper mount for the electronics on the windshield - Forward camera, rain sensor, others?

I could live without those features, but as I mentioned before, I don't want any error messages while driving or every time I start the car.

I'm excited though, now I can get the headliner/dash back in.

s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

headliner is easier job with the windshield out , but good news on the window fitting