System updates

This forum is for administrator/moderator updates on system status, updates, enhancements, etc.
elc32955
System Manager

Re: System updates

Post by elc32955 »

4/30/2013 - Update #8

I fixed a problem this evening with the Mini-chat. A few people made comments that they couldn't see the chat room. In checking out this problem I used our test account, which has regular user (non-admin) priviliges. When I logged in with that account I couldn't see the room either. A few changes in the administration menu and all registered users can now see the room, so we're good to go.

Never expected this kind of problem, but finally it's fixed. No wonder no one was in chat!!

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

5/4/2013 - Update #9

New section added on the forums for shows, meets, etc.... Also the Lounge is now forum-member only access, guest's can't see the content unless they log in with a valid user account.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

5/30/13 - Update #10

Our webhost has let me know that the server transition will take place over the next few days, and there will be some downtime associated with the move. So, if the system comes back as down or unavailable temporarily, don't panic. Things are being worked on....

Thanks
Eric
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Good job. Thanks for your efforts.

Is there a way to modify the forum to open a new tab in the browser when an external link is clicked rather than having the link transport you away from the forum forcing you to hit the back button to get back to the forum? This is especially annoying if you want to click around in the external link. Then you essentially loose the ability to go back without going through your history. I've noticed other forums open external links in a separate tab/window.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

Depending on your OS/browser setup you may be able to hold 'Ctrl' while clicking on the link. Or I click using the wheel button of my mouse personally.

One thing that I think would be cool is a forum where people can post pics of their cars individually, along with any updates.

Cheers. :mrgreen:
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Take it in reverse order.

Troutman, you're referring to what other forums call a "Garage" if I remember correctly. We've discussed a section to be able to put info. up on cars along with pics, I'll look into what I can find. It will probably be off the main menu if we do one.

Also I'll check into the opening of the second window on hyperlink clicks, that's a very good suggestion for the browser.

Keep 'em coming folks....

Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

6/1/2013 - Update #11

A few things have been changed/updated today. I tweaked some of the polling settings on the Mini-Chat to see if that helps in the lagging problem we've noticed on the forum front page. No guarantee, but it's a start. Also, two new forum sub-boards have been created for vendors and a sponsor logo has been placed on our system front door (the main start page).

Moving right along.... welcome to the first day of the US Hurricane Season!

Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

6/6/2013 - Update #12

Looks like after testing the updates to the Mini-Chat parameters cured the disappearing input problem we had. So, I'm declaring that problem fixed & closed unless it acts up on someone again.

We had a request to modify the operation of the board on links. Specifically, the request was to have clicked links open in another browser window instead of transporting you to the clicked link in the current window you were in. One note on this, our web developer tells me that it looks as though it will only do it to new links, not old ones unless you edit them. (If the link does not work) edit, put a space, then save.

We've implemented the requested change, so please see if you find any glitches. If so let me know and we'll address.

Thanks
Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

7/2/2013 - Update #13

Just a few minor tweaks, I upped the limit on PM mailbox messages from 50 to 250. We have more then enough capacity in the system to handle this and I didn't want to have to address this for a while. Also I tweaked the legend on the drivetrain forum just to specify transmission, differential, driveshaft, and related topics. Just in case anyone had questions on what it was :)

Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

7/19/2013 - Update #14

As you know, the forums for quite a while now have been experiencing some intermittent slowdowns, DNS resolve issues, and general performance bugs, which we haven't been able to put the finger on the cause for. Well, late yesterday afternoon I couldn't get into the system so I called our hosting provider, who luckily was right in front of a terminal and couldn't get in either.

Turns out the problem looks and smells strongly like a hardware issue in the data center infrastructure, bad news is it will not be totally resolved until sometime next week and there may be a little down time associated with the fix. So if you do see some down time, not a major concern. If I am able to ascertain known outage times I'll post to the forum for everyone's info. Apologize greatly for the anticipated service interruption, but it's important to get this fixed correctly, once.

I'll post additional updates as received.

Thanks
Eric