2014 PPV CAPRICE STRANGE COOLANT LEAK

Discussion on Air Conditioning/Heat & electronic controls for the same, radiators/fans/engine cooling and related items.
2822MM

2014 PPV CAPRICE STRANGE COOLANT LEAK

Post by 2822MM »

When my 2014 Caprice PPV sits for longer than usual periods of time, I notice small coolant leak underneath engine bay on passenger side, but very small. But once I start driving it and parking it again, it goes away. I’m starting to think it’s my water pump which expands if it gets warm. Any ideas? It’s intermittent leak...
s/c'd cav

Re: 2014 PPV CAPRICE STRANGE COOLANT LEAK

Post by s/c'd cav »

it could be anything , water pump is more central , but the heater lines are on the pass side

on my 14 they(dealer) replaced the water pump under warranty for it leaking at the heater hose connections , i never saw or had it drip on the ground , but the tech found it while doing both headlights
2822MM

Post by 2822MM »

I zoomed in the engine bay from underneath and there’s evidence of coolant by water pump but it stopped after I started driving and engine got warm operating temps. Very odd. Worst case scenario, a new water pump may be needed. Still operates fine, and no overheating.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

maybe its , its way of telling to drive its ass off ;)

lol

dexcool usually leaves a trail , you could try to add some leak dye to it and check it with a UV light
2822MM

Post by 2822MM »

Lol I agree. When it sits too long I think you’re right. The engine gets cold and gaskets and parts shrink. Silly guess. But it’s stopped. Caprices need to be driven!