Headlight lenses

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
elc32955
System Manager

Headlight lenses

Post by elc32955 »

I posted about this a while back in another thread, but my headlight lenses are looking positively icky and feel grainy instead of smooth, both sides. Don't know if this is a result of the extended DRL operation (I kick DRL off when I remember but it stays on a lot of the time... thanks GM!) possibly impacting the plastic from heat, but I've tossed around the idea of replacing the lenses in toto. From what I can see from trolling the GM on-line parts sites, the lenses are not available as a separate GM part number even though they appear to just snap-in to the headlight assembly.

So, anyone see different on parts lists? CP, how about down under, are the Caprice (WM) headlight lenses available separately?

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
storm9c1

Re: Headlight lenses

Post by storm9c1 »

Seems like many cars with these new clear headlight capsules suffer the same fate. It's certainly not exclusive to the Caprice. And with many other car models, I've only been able to find whole assemblies. It's rare to find just the lens available. But if you can find them, it's a score! I hope that someday these headlight capsules show up on eBay or other cheaper aftermarket parts sources.

Another thought... There are a bunch of restoration kits available, have you tried any of those? I recently used the Meguiars Heavy Duty kit on a Toyota Corolla and it worked VERY well. The headlights were really bad and took some elbow grease, but they cleaned up like new. It took about 30 minutes per light of various stages of wet sanding (included in the kit), but in the end, I was blown away. They were clear and silky smooth. There were some micro-cracks in the plastic but barely visible after the restoration process.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/p ... ation-kit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Not yet. I had given consideration to the buff kits but I just hadn't tried yet, didn't want to risk hosing the lights up further. There was a set of headlights on EBAY for $50/side recently, but the listing said they had scratches and some of the tabs were snapped off the housing. Too problematic a listing to risk it and be stuck with junk.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

I can speak from personal experience using the Meguiars Heavy Duty kit won't hose them further. Just follow the instructions exactly, be sure to use plenty of water during the fine sanding process, and sand in the direction they say (perpendicular on each stage). The kit comes with an agent to polish out the sanding dullness with a drill attachment (PlasticX) and a final agent to protect the lens (some UV-stable protectorant). This is why I liked this kit -- it reminded me of the same stages you would go through when making paint repairs -- including the protectorant at the last stage which to me was similar to a waxing stage (important to me since I'm sure the buffing process removes the damaged factory protectorant).

I would never use any single stage products on a headlight. There is no instant gratification to do it right. Just like body work, there is some elbow grease involved to do it right.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Interesting, thanks Tom. Sounds like I'll be putting one of those on the shelf for use before I decide to sell....

Eric
Saito_Masaki

Post by Saito_Masaki »

I am thinking of what to do with my Headlights on my WM Caprice, as they look really terrible, i have had them polished a couple of times and it doesn't really do much.. to be honest i think i have just as much Deforming/Build-up on each of the Headlights on the inside of the Headlight Lenses as i do the outside of each Lens!

I know that some of the Headlight Restoration guys on Marketplace also do Wet Sanding as well as Polish or Clear Coat when they Restore the Headlights, as i just spoke to a guy on Marketplace and he quoted me $55 to do the pair of Headlights on my Caprice that included Wet Sanding and Clear Coating system!

Also i thought i would ask as i don't know myself, does anyone know how the Headlight Lenses are removed at all, or if anyone knows of a YouTube Video that shows how to remove the Lenses from the Headlights on a Holden WM/WN Caprice at all just on the off chance i can find a half decent pair to fit to replace mine eventually?

With the swapping to the Plastic Headlights the Car makers should of sold the Lenses for these type of Headlights separately, the same as they used to do for the Headlights with the Glass Lenses!
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I know of no one who has pulled the lenses off their headlight modules, but on many other vehicles, some can be removed with the addition of a little heat and patience. I do not know how easy that process might be as I've not done it, either.

Having been wildly-disappointed in the longevity of polishing old lenses lasts, sometimes weeks, I have been in search of a longer-lasting solution. While I haven't used it on our Caprice lenses yet, I have applied the new Griot's Ceramic Headlight Restoration Kit on our 2010 Tahoe PPV headlight lenses:

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/ce ... ks&from=fn

It's actually a Cerakote ceramic coating that goes on with the wipe of an applicator pad. The lenses on the Tahoe were moderately hazed and pitted, and since I have a spare new set of headlight modules for it in my spares collection, I figured I had nothing to lose. I was amazed at what a difference the application made, and how much yellowing the cleaning pad removed from the surface of the lens. it also made a drastic improvement to light quality at night.

I have no allusions this is a long-term solution, but so far it's held up well over the last couple of months. So well, in fact, I've applied the coating to the hazy lenses on our 1998 Dakota R/T headlights. Those lenses hazed in spite of the fact that the truck spends 99.999% of it's time in our shop. The coating has improved those, too, but I was primarily wanting to clear the haze, as we rarely drive the thing at night (It has ~4,000 original miles on the clock).

Time will tell, and I'll report back on how well it lasts. If the Tahoe lights do well, I may wait to coat the Caprice lights around mid-year, since their replacement is kind of difficult/expensive.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

I polished mine last year and applied 3M protective film and they still look great. Granted, it was in storage all winter so not truly a whole year exposed. They do look amazing with it. It was a bitch to put it on with the curves of the lenses but was worth it. If the film hazes, peel off and re-apply. Time will tell how long it will last but have a feeling it will for as long as it stays on.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
Turbopowered68

Post by Turbopowered68 »

I polished my headlights and they look ok at best- I did a rushed job.
BUT they looked like they had internal blemishes.
2014 Caprice V8
Elgin E-1840 P, LS9 Head gasket, LS7 Lifters, PAC-1218 springs, Trunion upgrade, Single roller timing set, Melling oil pump, ZL1 torque converter, Camaro Trans pan and filter.
1986 GN
212/212 Roller cam, 1.65 HR Rockers, 60-1 turbo, XFI 2.05, E85, Ebay Front mount IC, Husek Built TH200-4R trans, 3.42 gears 3800# .
1968 Chevelle
LQ4, 4L80, 12 bolt w/3.42 gears