Weird Rear Tail light flashing problem

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
kaylin4u

Weird Rear Tail light flashing problem

Post by kaylin4u »

Okay, so my 2012 doesn't have a Wigwag module in the front but every once in a while if I hit a a bump in the road, my rear tail lights flash and backup lights flash alternating between the tail lights and backup lights Also when I hit my brakes, my daytime headlights turn on....

I can hear a relay kicking in the engine compartment fuse box but if I pull that relay, the backup lights turn off but the brake lights still flash....this much like the emergency flasher being on but it's totally different.

Now I don't know if there is some kind of "factory" emergency function like the front based wig wag module but it's an issue cause I don't know my back lights are flashing until I get stopped and check the back lights. I'm sure people behind me are like "what is this guy doing"

I thought I had all the upfitting exposed wires near the consol taped up.

I have a suspicion that it's something near the stereo or front center console because my wife smacked that side onetime and it stopped.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be appreciated.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: Weird Rear Tail light flashing problem

Post by Pursuit »

In the files section there is this link:
https://www.newcaprice.com/files/2012_P ... Manual.pdf
Look at page 34 in regard to the headlamp and rear flashing module. The Dark Blue/Yellow strip wire is a circuit that goes to the BCM to activate the back up light and turn signal circuits (also used for the brake light activation) to alternate. I would guess that it is going to a grounded state, telling the BCM to activate the rear flashing.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
kaylin4u

Post by kaylin4u »

I found a blue/yellow-stripe wire where the wigwag module is supposed to be...that connector is intact...then went into the passenger side and saw where they cut the wires and found the blue/yellow-stripe wire cut there.

Anywhere else this wire might be? Also, just checking...what voltage should that blue/yellow-stripe wire should be?
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

The blue/yellow striped wire IS NOT to have voltage on it. It was a circuit, that when grounded, would signal the BCM to alternately flash the rear brake lights and back up lights. Putting voltage to it will harm the BCM. The agency could have spliced in a separate, switched-to-ground circuit back to the BCM to activate the rear flashing function only. My 2012 9C1 Impala had that feature. I would closely inspect the center console area for bare wires. Especially if smacking the console made it stop.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof