2014 xm Hookup

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
anwat

2014 xm Hookup

Post by anwat »

Looking for some advice on the easiest way to get the satellite radio working in my 2014. I have read all the posts concerning this, and think I have a decent understanding of what's enabled and not enabled. I don't mind spending some money, as I said, I'm looking for the easiest way to do this. My AUX in choice isn't grayed out, I can select it, but of course, there's nothing hooked up to it, so it's just static. I also located the USB port on the silverbox.

I understand that the 2014's have the xm software, but it's locked. They also may have an antenna or may not. What I had hoped to do was use my existing stand-alone xm Onyx unit from my truck, and install an antenna and dock in the Caprice. I've got an extra dock, power cord and two antennas. But I don't have a way to get the signal into the vehicle's stereo system without an aux input. Can it go in through the USB port? or is there a jack I can plug it in to on the silverbox? The dock is going to be hardwired in, so I don't mind running a cord from inside the dashto the docking station.

I also understand White's can reprogram the silverbox to use the xm signal, but that seems a bit complicated. I don't need anything else, my bluetooth works for the phone, I'm not concerned with playing videos or pictures on the screeen.

I'm also going to replace the screen unit when I'm doing the stereo, any considerations I need to know before I do that? That's not going to impact anything other than just the access to the silverbox, correct? I will make sure the software versions are the same, and if something goes haywire, I can just put the old one back...I'm assuming disconnect the battery, change screens, and reconnect battery, correct?
s/c'd cav

Re: 2014 xm Hookup

Post by s/c'd cav »

but a silver box from one of the guys in the caprice pages , or through whites media , or a used silver box from a SS , and get it reprogramed , then get a xm antena that will plug into the silver box
anwat

Post by anwat »

If I'm going that route, why not just use the box I have and send it in? I was thinking that plugging into the AUX in port would be easier than reprogramming the box. I read that guys were able to plug in their I phones to the USB port and it would play...I was thinking if I got a 3.5 mm to USB jack adapter, it might do the same.
What is the AUX in that is showing on the screen referring to? Is that for some option, or is there actually a jack somewhere that functions as an AUX input?

And where is the antenna jack on the silverbox that I would plug the antenna into? I'll probably need to get an adapter for that also, since most of the xm antennas have that same smb connector, I'm sure GM doesn't have that, since the box is already programmed from the factory, they probably use the GM sharkfin style antenna connector. I didn't see an input for any antenna on the silverbox, is it hidden under something?
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

You can use the XM app to stream to the radio via bluetooth. I did this after the White Media update so I'm not positive it will work before the update, but give it a try!
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

anwat wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:39 am If I'm going that route, why not just use the box I have and send it in? I was thinking that plugging into the AUX in port would be easier than reprogramming the box. I read that guys were able to plug in their I phones to the USB port and it would play...I was thinking if I got a 3.5 mm to USB jack adapter, it might do the same.
What is the AUX in that is showing on the screen referring to? Is that for some option, or is there actually a jack somewhere that functions as an AUX input?

And where is the antenna jack on the silverbox that I would plug the antenna into? I'll probably need to get an adapter for that also, since most of the xm antennas have that same smb connector, I'm sure GM doesn't have that, since the box is already programmed from the factory, they probably use the GM sharkfin style antenna connector. I didn't see an input for any antenna on the silverbox, is it hidden under something?
why ? because our boxes do not have xm built into them , along with the navagation , our silver boxes are programed with much of anything

all the antennas plug into the rear of the silver box , im using OE magnetic base antennas i got off ebay

there is a usb connector in the pass side of the dash near where the console would be , but in some cases they have issues
anwat

Post by anwat »

So I tried it my way and failed. Although I do have a funny story. As I dug around the bundles of wire under the dash looking for a ignition hot to splice into, I found a nice light brown wire. I'm a soldering kind of guy, so I soldered in a connection, ran it to my cigarette lighter which had no hot wire, and when I plugged the lighter in, it worked. So did my horn. Out of all the wires, I picked the horn circuit. Every time I plugged in the lighter, the horn would sound.
So undid all that, and just ran a wire from the battery to the lighter with an inline fuse. Plugged in the antenna, the XM radio, and ran the audio out from the 3.5mm plug to a USB C adapter, then from the USB C to a USB A adapter, which I plugged into the USB in the dash. Switched the Caprice radio to AUX an got nothing. The AUX input is lighting up on the screen, so I think it's getting the signal, it just doesn't know how to process it.

I'm going to try some more options today. I think my weak link is the adapter cords. Something isn't getting through. I'm going to mess with it a bit more today, but am open to suggestions.
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

The USB port is a data port. Trying plugging in your phone to verify it works or use a USB stick with mp3 files on it. If it works then you need to work on the interface from your XM reciever. Can you Blutooth your XM reciever to the radio? That would be the simplist option I would think.

https://www.lifewire.com/usb-to-aux-cab ... io-3986249
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
anwat

Post by anwat »

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying the bluetooth option, along with working with another guy to possibly build a cable. I think XM offers some sort of device that you can plug into your fm antenna jack that will get the sound into the vehicle radio, also, I'm looking into that. If I can get the satellite working, I won't ever listen to the FM anyway. For those of you living in other parts of the world, the Los Angeles area is the worst when it comes to FM broadcast stations. There is literally nothing but rap and mariachi music on the radio. I find myself listening to the weather on the AM channels for hours. Pretty sad. I'll post up what I can figure out this evening....
anwat

Post by anwat »

Small amount of progress. I took a USB flashdrive with some music on it, and inserted it into the USB jack in the dash. It plays. I can even use the controls on the dash to make the music stop and skip etc. I went back, hooked up the satellite receiver through the 3.5mm to USB adapter, it doesn't play.
So I think it's safe to say that the car device isn't speaking the same language as the satellite receiver. Obviously, the car can read an MP3 format. Next step is to figure out what the receiver is putting out into the 3.5mm jack.
And for now, yes, I downloaded the app, and can play it through the bluetooth on the car radio. I'd really like to get it hardwired in there, though, plus the sound quality isn't that great using the bluetooth.
You hit it right on the head, though, the problem area is he interface between the satellite and the car radio. And I'm thinking that's what SMWalker is talking about making. I need to go out and find out if I plug a pair or regular headphones into the 3.5mm jack on the satellite, will I hear music or is it just a digital signal. That should help.

Also, thanks for that article...I missed the link at first, but after I saw it, it was very informative...
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

the stock-ish plugin for the usb(for the SS sedan) has the 3.5 jack in it , 20870101 is the part #

i havent pluged anything into it yet to see what works