Anyone using a Blutooth ODBii scanner to Smartphone??

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
FzCobra

Anyone using a Blutooth ODBii scanner to Smartphone??

Post by FzCobra »

I wondering if anyone on here has used one of those wireless odb readers that connects to a smartphone running an app?
Is there one that can send real time data to a smartphone in a gauge format ?

I have an extra android phone I use for media and navigation, would be cool to use for engine monitoring, see parameters, etc .
The 2012 instrument cluster doesn't show a whole lot.
-Rob
2012 9C3 Mirage Glow Metallic
GammaFlat

Re: Anyone using a Blutooth ODBii scanner to Smartphone??

Post by GammaFlat »

I used this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074D ... UTF8&psc=1 for 13 bucks. You can also get apps working (on a blue tooth enabled stereo and talking to your OBD scanner) that will show your gauge readings on your radio. I posted a youtube link somewhere here about a year ago on that procedure. To this point I've only viewed "readings" on my phone.
Although I have a bluetooth stereo in my '13, I am leaning toward a gauge pod replacing the speaker grill on the dash. It was particularly interesting to watch my oil pressure. There are tons of things you can look at by using the smartphone apps.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
FzCobra

Post by FzCobra »

I was going to ask how you integrated the HVAC controls into an aftermarket radio, but read on another post that you ordered an Aussie unit, that's pretty cool.
My 2012 has the blue tooth enabled, but the IQ unit can't run apps. I think I'm going to order $13 scanner, then find a good app to run on a smartphone.
-Rob
2012 9C3 Mirage Glow Metallic
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

CarScanner (Android App) does some neat stuff in terms of watching "vitals" as gauges on your phone (or maybe better still, a tablet).

The (maybe) downside to the OBD scanner is that it stays on (led light tells you so - and I think they all do) when the car is off. I'm not sure how much of a drain it is on your battery.. If worried, you can always just unplug it when not using it and you get real good at re-installing after a few cycles.

On the plus side, CarScanner will read and address CEL's (Check Engine Light) and reset if necessary.

The Aussie stereo was expensive and maybe not worth it if I don't chase down the "gauges on my stereo" thing. I love the backup camera, bluetooth phone/audio and I do get Google Maps on my stereo (that's a huge plus). But again, is it worth it for 1000 bucks? For some folks, I suppose it is. There is a better option that costs a boatload more if you want to go that way. Again, from Aussie land. You need extra dash trim parts that are very expensive all by themselves. It replaces your HVAC controls and stereo with a very large screen.

If I had this to do all over again, I'd be leaning toward getting a '14+ to get a head start on the stereo but they are more rare.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

I'm using an OBDLink MX Bluetooth, had one for several years now. It does real-time readings as well through it's app. I've also used it with an Android tablet to give large-view gauge readings while driving. A variety of programs will interface with it, I was also using it with Carly for Mercedes with my E320CDI.

But, of note there is a free app downloadable from the Playstore called "ChevroSys" that will read OBD-II codes, GM PCM codes (DTC's), ABS codes, SRS codes, and TCM codes. The app was written in Vietnam and it can be a bit flaky, however it worked fairly decently when I needed it on my GMC Sierra. I tried it once on the Caprice and it pulled some old codes that hadn't been erased from quite some time back. They have a paid version that you can use to erase codes & clear the CEL, do data logging, and do O2 sensor testing. It works with an OBD-II Bluetooth dongle.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

Same. I like the OBDLink MX. It's not buggy like some of the cheap generic Chinese BT devices. Never drops connection or get laggy. I use Torque Pro on my phone and highly recommend it. I use HPTuners to tune and datalog as well on my laptop.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....