Dealer couldn't get "learn" process to work for TPMS

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
v8suprcapric

Dealer couldn't get "learn" process to work for TPMS

Post by v8suprcapric »

I've got new GM TPMS sensors and the local dealer (who I despise) couldn't get the "learn" process working. Is it unique to these Caprices compared to other Chevy's? Or is the tech at the dealer an idiot (who to his credit did explain that he only knows Subaru's and he hasn't been working at Chevy very long). :shock: I'm taking it to Discount Tire (who installed the TPMS sensors in my tires when I brought them the rims) to see if they can "learn" them.
1987 Landau (383 stroker, vortec heads, 700r4, posi rear, Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, Bassett 15x8, BFGoodrich 275/60, 9C1 speedo)
2011 9C3 (K&N CAI, Weldcraft widened 18x9 factory steelies, Bridgestone 285/35)
GammaFlat

Re: Dealer couldn't get "learn" process to work for TPMS

Post by GammaFlat »

Took my car to Costco. Brought my own sensors they refused to use.. "You can buy ours though".
I did and the tech guy had a heck of a time getting them working. Very apologetic and friendly but had a hard time.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

Weird. I had zero problems with mine. Took 5 minutes. Were they able to pull data from each sensor? My tire tool allows me to read each TPMS with the frequency, battery life, and model number. You could then look at the model number to verify they are correct for the vehicle. Nothing special for the PPV besides making sure you have the correct TPMS sensors. They are pretty easy to swap out. I remove the tire and valve stem core, spray dish soap/water mix on bead, put 2x8 ramp on rubber, back another car up ramp, 2x8 breaks bead and pushes rubber down allowing access to swap out TPMS.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Sometimes it doesn't work with the transmitter and have to resort to the manual method as specified in the manual. After activating learn mode, you go to each wheel starting with the left front and deflate the tire until it chirps and then move to right front, right rear and left rear. And it even illuminates the turn signal at the corner you need to go to next.

A word of caution, open your window. When using the key fob to activate the learn mode, it also locks the doors. I was using one key to start the engine and the spare to activate learn mode. I then dropped the spare on the seat and closed the door. Had to call CAA to come open the door while it idled in my driveway. :oops:
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
HoldOn SV

Post by HoldOn SV »

I understand your sensors are new to you, but the batteries could be weak if they are older stock. If the batteries are low in the sensors, the relearn is more difficult. I can't remember if the Tech 2 prompted for sensor battery weakness or not. The aftermarket tool I often used did prompt (with an approx. battery level), but it was usually quick to condemn them if less than 50% life.
sardillim

Post by sardillim »

bought a gm sensor from amazon and i did not have to do any set up car read all on its own