2011 9C3 key removal issue symptoms

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
v8suprcapric

2011 9C3 key removal issue symptoms

Post by v8suprcapric »

Started a new thread because this issue has taken a turn it seems, "New sh*t has come to light".

Used to have starting issues, told the Chevy dealer who then replaced my ignition under warranty, that didn't fix anything, now they say I should replace the starter. I don't want to just throw parts at the problem so I removed the bezel around the shifter to see what might be going on in there and ever since doing that the car starts 100% of the time. Great, except now.......

Now I have a problem getting the key out, probably 90% of the time. I put it in park and shut it off and the key won't turn all the way off, and so it won't come out. My initial fix was to turn it on, put it in neutral, back in park, turn it off, repeat randomly and eventually it would work as it's supposed to and I could remove the key. After narrowing all that randomness down I've discovered that the little pin switch (pictured) that is activated by the shifter button might not be too trusty (and no the other pin that presses on the metal tab that presses said pin switch hasn't slid out of the way like I've read about with others' cars on the forum). So the "new sh*t that has come to light" is now I can shift it into park, depress the brake and simply click the shifter button a number of times and eventually I will hear a click sound coming from up by the speedometer. When I hear that sound I know it has activated whatever it is that allows me to turn the key all the way off and remove they key.

Thoughts?
Caprice shifter safety switch.jpg
Caprice shifter safety switch.jpg (50.57 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
1987 Landau (383 stroker, vortec heads, 700r4, posi rear, Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, Bassett 15x8, BFGoodrich 275/60, 9C1 speedo)
2011 9C3 (K&N CAI, Weldcraft widened 18x9 factory steelies, Bridgestone 285/35)
elc32955
System Manager

Re: 2011 9C3 key removal issue symptoms

Post by elc32955 »

You know, it's interesting you found this. I recall having the exact same issue with my 2011 9C3 a few times. It's something with the shifter alignment that creeps out of tolerance methinks. I could depress the trigger and just barely move the shifter when it happened and it would release the key. Didn't happen more then a few times to me from my recollection, but that's going back 5+ years now.

Things that make you go Hmmmm......

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
v8suprcapric

Re: 2011 9C3 key removal issue symptoms

Post by v8suprcapric »

elc32955 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:51 pm You know, it's interesting you found this. I recall having the exact same issue with my 2011 9C3 a few times. It's something with the shifter alignment that creeps out of tolerance methinks.
I thought maybe the little metal strip could be bent a little extra so that it depresses the pin switch more positively. But as far as I can tell looking at it, the pin switch is getting pressed all the way. Don't know much about hooking up a meter to the pin switch to see if it's working correctly but I'd think that would tell me something?
1987 Landau (383 stroker, vortec heads, 700r4, posi rear, Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, Bassett 15x8, BFGoodrich 275/60, 9C1 speedo)
2011 9C3 (K&N CAI, Weldcraft widened 18x9 factory steelies, Bridgestone 285/35)