slow cranking when starting?

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
leonpiper69

slow cranking when starting?

Post by leonpiper69 »

So I just bought my 2012 PPV today and the guy I got it from sells a lot of them....I went to start it and it seems like a low battery to me because it doesn't crank very fast but it starts fine.

He said they are all like that because the battery is in the trunk and that they are all like that even with a jump box on them.

My gut tells me that is not the case and I need to replace the battery before the winter but I thought I would ask.
Willigaf

Re: slow cranking when starting?

Post by Willigaf »

Have you seen pictures of the crank sensor harness that lives above the starter and next to the passenger manifold? They get pretty crunchy. Can be a cause for your symptom. They’ll be more prevalent on the FB page.
leonpiper69

Post by leonpiper69 »

Didn't know there was a facebook page. Is it called "new caprice"?

I am totally new to these cars so no clue what to look for yet.

I know LS motors (put a few in and I have one in my 71 chevelle) but not these cars per se yet.

Would a crank sensor cause it to crank slowly like a low battery? That doesn't sound right....
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Mine ('13) does not crank fast but did fine over winter (jeez it sounds like an old Chrysler). Having a long battery cable is very bad for getting the starter to turn over a 364 cubic inch engine with reasonable compression (10.4:1). It's just not the same as my 1.8 liter (110 cubic inches) four banger where the battery is up front :lol: .

Whenever there is a starting problem on any car, the first thing to check is the battery cables and especially their connections. The battery connection in the trunk seems to not corrode the connectors as bad. The starter connector is always something to look at and grounds are another. I have seen cables get "crunchy" right at the connectors on many cars (this can remain well hidden under heavy "shrink tube"). I suspect a brand new battery won't make the engine spin like crazy but it'll probably help.

I'm about to remove my "extra" battery hoping that what I have left is "enough" :).
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

Chevy Caprice PPV owners and fans. It has the highest number of members of the ppv FB pages and basically everyone has had one or more of the problems that frequently emerge with these cars. If you don’t find an answer here, it may be there. Search first or bring a fire extinguisher lol.

There are some really helpful people both here and there. You’ll get it figured out.
leonpiper69

Post by leonpiper69 »

Found PPV owners and requested to join.

Yeah it seems to be starting fine every time. Just was worried but now will not worry about it for now till it gives me a an issue.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

do not forget this are cop cars , and get started 10 more than a civilian car , slow cranking is not normal and can be anything from the battery to the starter and alternator , and everything in-between

best place to start is to learn how to do voltage drop tests , and go from there
leonpiper69

Post by leonpiper69 »

Well......batt finally did die. I texted the dealer who was always quick to reply......oddly no response from yesterdays text letting him know the batt was in fact toast.

Luckily I was in the parking lot of my gunshop when it wouldn't start....and not stranded somewhere.

One of my customers volunteered to go to autozone down the street and grab me the batt and I swapped it quickly in the lot. Turns out the birthdate on the batt was 3/15 so it was due to be replaced.

But yes it doesn crank a tad slower than a normal batt up front vehicle, just not as slow as it was before.