Where to tap for 12v in the console?

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
dorqus

Where to tap for 12v in the console?

Post by dorqus »

Hello all!

So I just picked up a 2011 Caprice PPV on Saturday. In the past two days I've gotten the power windows to work from the back seat, re-connected the cables for the doors and locks in the back seat, and also replaced the police "console" with something more normal and without the sharp metal edges in the back seat!

I don't have a power outlet/cigarette lighter in the console, but there is a hole for one (I'm guessing that's what it's for) next to the power trunk release button. I'd like to pickup a universal "Accessory Power Outlet" (aka cigarette lighter) at Autozone or some such place, but I'm wondering which of the eight million wires behind the dash I can splice into to get 12v. I don't care if it's on all the time or only goes on with the key, it would just be used for charging my phone.

Thanks!!
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Where to tap for 12v in the console?

Post by elc32955 »

First step should be for you to visit our files section and download the 2011 Chevrolet Police technical manual, this will provide you a guide to where the available leads for 12V power are and give you some selections available in the passenger compartment. You should be able to access both constant on and switched power without too much difficulty.

That's the purpose for us maintaining a comprehensive file section here on the site, owner support :)

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
dorqus

Post by dorqus »

Thanks Eric! I already have the files, will see if I can figure out where to tap by the factory head unit. Thank you
dorqus

Post by dorqus »

So I poked around behind the head unit/console and found the wires for the cigarette lighter are there along with the clip, so I'll just order a replacement one! I'll check with a voltmeter first, ensure that they still have power. Score!