High output alternator

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
rcodea1

High output alternator

Post by rcodea1 » Mon May 03, 2021 4:38 am

gents, looking for some assistance. i have the 170amp alternator, AC DELCO 92254798.

When driving, i see ~13.5V or sometimes less than that. I am thinking that i need to upgrade to something more like 200 or 220 amps.

Anyone know what or whom makes a HO alternator?
~Ryan
Charleston, SC

elc32955
System Manager

Re: High output alternator

Post by elc32955 » Mon May 03, 2021 5:36 am

That's typical behavior for the Caprice alternator. On many GM's you'll see a drop in voltage in a little while after starting, my 08 Sierra routinely drops below 13 volts. GM has a TSB out on it as a result of customer concerns, they say this is perfectly normal behavior to extend the life of the charging system components. I was getting ready to cross the Ocala National Forest in my truck and saw the voltage drop from 14+ to 12.6V abruptly and needless to say I was a bit "concerned" at that point. I had visions of being stuck overnight in a national forest awaiting a visit from Mr. Bear and friends on the side of the road....

I know I didn't answer your question but wanted to reassure you that the alternator behavior seems to be normal. I see that also with my car.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tourguide for the day. 2015 Caprice 3.6, former NC DPS car, for right now bone stock., .

s/c'd cav

Re: High output alternator

Post by s/c'd cav » Mon May 03, 2021 5:17 pm

welcome to computer controlled alternators , the computer controls the voltage and amp out as it sees the needs , so unless you are having a issue with the battery and starting , things are completely normal