Rear Speaker Solution: Door and Deck, 2014+

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
tvallaro

Rear Speaker Solution: Door and Deck, 2014+

Post by tvallaro »

I have reviewed the forum threads regarding rear speakers in the 2014+ cars, but still have questions and potential solutions.

Rear Door
Supposedly the speakers are behind the door panel in the 9C1 cars. I could not locate pictures, but I will pull my door panel, confirm, then reply with pictures.
The solution that I have read on the forum is to relocate the speaker, cut a hole in the door panel, then add aftermarket speakers grilles. Some look good, some look bad.
My proposed solution: Cut a hole in the door panel, add a custom 3D printed grille cover that looks more stock.
After I investigate the space available on my door panel I plan on attempting to design and print a grille cover solution.

Rear Deck
Based on my car and what I have read in this forum, the 2014+ 9C1 cars do not have rear deck speakers. I have read about using SS rear deck speaker grilles, but have not located any pictures of this solution implemented on the Caprice.
My proposed solution: Knock out the sheet metal in the rear deck and add SS speaker grilles.

Questions:
  1. Is GM 92267677 the correct part number for both left and right rear deck grilles?
  2. How do I attach the grilles to the deck?
  3. How do I attach the speaker to the grille?
  4. How would I wire the rear deck speakers... Splice off of the rear door speakers?
Tim Vallaro

2015 Caprice 9C1
1981 C10 (5.3)

Rear Speaker Solution for 2014+:
http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtop ... 792#p34888
AceVL

Re: Rear Speaker Solution: Door and Deck, 2014+

Post by AceVL »

I can speak to the rear door topic, although I’m interested if someone can wire up rear speakers to the OEM head unit on a 14 for some more bass.

On your 14, for rear speakers, yes they should be there. Easy way to tell, adjust your stereo settings to only play out the rear speakers, it should be very faint, but you can still hear it if they are there and connected. They are behind the plastic on the door panel as well as under some sound blocking fabric.

What I did was cut out a hole around 4 inches or so and got some same sized speaker grills to put over the hole.

Does it look OEM, no. But it’s good enough to have sound coming out without having a big hole in the door or tracking down $500+ panels that have the cutout (I think 11-13).

While you have the door panels get some noise reduction butyl panels to put on the doors. Improves speaker quality and reduces some road noise.
South Cackalacky

2014 Caprice PPV
2005 Pontiac GTO
1998 Lexus SC400
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

tvallaro wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:21 am I have reviewed the forum threads regarding rear speakers in the 2014+ cars, but still have questions and potential solutions.

Rear Door
Supposedly the speakers are behind the door panel in the 9C1 cars. I could not locate pictures, but I will pull my door panel, confirm, then reply with pictures.
The solution that I have read on the forum is to relocate the speaker, cut a hole in the door panel, then add aftermarket speakers grilles. Some look good, some look bad.
My proposed solution: Cut a hole in the door panel, add a custom 3D printed grille cover that looks more stock.
After I investigate the space available on my door panel I plan on attempting to design and print a grille cover solution.

Rear Deck
Based on my car and what I have read in this forum, the 2014+ 9C1 cars do not have rear deck speakers. I have read about using SS rear deck speaker grilles, but have not located any pictures of this solution implemented on the Caprice.
My proposed solution: Knock out the sheet metal in the rear deck and add SS speaker grilles.

Questions:
  1. Is GM 92267677 the correct part number for both left and right rear deck grilles?
  2. How do I attach the grilles to the deck?
  3. How do I attach the speaker to the grille?
  4. How would I wire the rear deck speakers... Splice off of the rear door speakers?
the rear door speakers are there , unless the agency removed them for some reason

correct that is the number you want for the rear deck grills
i believe you need some screws to hold them down
the speakers do not mount to the grills or the package tray , they mount on baskets that mount to the rear deck itself , youll need the rear bose from the SSsedan
you need a amp to run the speakers , the rear speaker output from the deck now is a low output , and reason you cant hear the speakers very well
tvallaro

Post by tvallaro »

Thank you, AceVL and s/c'd cav.

I did pull the door panel and confirmed for myself. So odd. I noticed that the panel already has insulation attached. Should I replace this with butyl panels or add butyl directly to the sheet metal on the door?
IMG_2201b.jpg
IMG_2201b.jpg (52.78 KiB) Viewed 7897 times

As mentioned, I plan on adding custom 3D printed grille covers. This will involve relocating the speaker downwards and cutting a hole in the existing door panel. I have started 3D printed a sample grille to see how it will look. Here is a screen shot from fusion 360.
draft rendera.PNG
draft rendera.PNG (111.61 KiB) Viewed 7897 times

I will be buying the SS rear deck grilles and I will mount 8" or 10" speakers to the underside with some printed brackets. I plan on powering the rear door and deck speakers with an amp using a high level input.

Thanks again for your input!
Tim Vallaro

2015 Caprice 9C1
1981 C10 (5.3)

s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

tvallaro wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:32 pm Thank you, AceVL and s/c'd cav.

I did pull the door panel and confirmed for myself. So odd. I noticed that the panel already has insulation attached. Should I replace this with butyl panels or add butyl directly to the sheet metal on the door?

IMG_2201b.jpg

As mentioned, I plan on adding custom 3D printed grille covers. This will involve relocating the speaker downwards and cutting a hole in the existing door panel. I have started 3D printed a sample grille to see how it will look. Here is a screen shot from fusion 360.

draft rendera.PNG

I will be buying the SS rear deck grilles and I will mount 8" or 10" speakers to the underside with some printed brackets. I plan on powering the rear door and deck speakers with an amp using a high level input.

that clear plastic barrier , is there to keep water out , so it needs to stay intact , or water will flood the inside of the car in the rain or getting washed

not sure its worth moving the speakers

going buy this auction , the deck grills are held in by a speed clips - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-CHEVROLET ... Sw82hf3NWt

these are the speakers and adapters in the rear deck of the ss sedan - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-CHEVROLET ... OSwne1f3O5~
tvallaro

Post by tvallaro »

s/c'd cav wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:31 am

these are the speakers and adapters in the rear deck of the ss sedan - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-CHEVROLET ... OSwne1f3O5~
I have spent over an hour hunting the internet, but I cannot find the plug the connects to the speaker receptacle. Do you by chance know?
connector_speaker.PNG
connector_speaker.PNG (280.37 KiB) Viewed 7883 times
Tim Vallaro

2015 Caprice 9C1
1981 C10 (5.3)

s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

i usually get them at the junk yard , but im not sure if our cars are the same as the other GM bose units , or if they are specific to holdens
AceVL

Post by AceVL »

tvallaro wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:32 pm Thank you, AceVL and s/c'd cav.

IMG_2201b.jpg

draft rendera.PNG

You remove the barrier temporarily to put the butyl on the steel door skins, not on the plastic panel, just to clarify if I was unclear. They have a sticky glue that runs the whole length that you can push the plastic against and it will hold it.

Here is how my speaker grills look on the door.

On a side note, to power the rear deck speakers you would need an amp, has anyone swapped out the existing on for the BOSE one from the SS? Or if it’s even possible.
Attachments
E1A413F9-E3C6-482A-A0A4-A58EA2E49743.jpeg
E1A413F9-E3C6-482A-A0A4-A58EA2E49743.jpeg (3.98 MiB) Viewed 7824 times
South Cackalacky

2014 Caprice PPV
2005 Pontiac GTO
1998 Lexus SC400
tvallaro

Post by tvallaro »

AceVL wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:28 pm On a side note, to power the rear deck speakers you would need an amp, has anyone swapped out the existing on for the BOSE one from the SS? Or if it’s even possible.
While I cannot answer that specific question, I did purchase a 4-channel sony amp (XMS400D) and have successfully powered the rear door speakers as well as a set of chevy SS rear deck subwoofers. I used 2-channel high-level inputs from the rear door speakers and am outputting 4 channels (2 door stock speakers using high pass filter, 2 rear deck chevy ss subwoofers using low pass filter).
I will be creating a thread in "member builds", but here is what I did today......
IMG_2355a.jpg
IMG_2355a.jpg (165.76 KiB) Viewed 7658 times
Tim Vallaro

2015 Caprice 9C1
1981 C10 (5.3)

Turbopowered68

Post by Turbopowered68 »

I am looking forward to your build writeup.

tvallaro wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:28 am
AceVL wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:28 pm On a side note, to power the rear deck speakers you would need an amp, has anyone swapped out the existing on for the BOSE one from the SS? Or if it’s even possible.
While I cannot answer that specific question, I did purchase a 4-channel sony amp (XMS400D) and have successfully powered the rear door speakers as well as a set of chevy SS rear deck subwoofers. I used 2-channel high-level inputs from the rear door speakers and am outputting 4 channels (2 door stock speakers using high pass filter, 2 rear deck chevy ss subwoofers using low pass filter).
I will be creating a thread in "member builds", but here is what I did today......

IMG_2355a.jpg
2014 Caprice V8
Elgin E-1840 P, LS9 Head gasket, LS7 Lifters, PAC-1218 springs, Trunion upgrade, Single roller timing set, Melling oil pump, ZL1 torque converter, Camaro Trans pan and filter.
1986 GN
212/212 Roller cam, 1.65 HR Rockers, 60-1 turbo, XFI 2.05, E85, Ebay Front mount IC, Husek Built TH200-4R trans, 3.42 gears 3800# .
1968 Chevelle
LQ4, 4L80, 12 bolt w/3.42 gears