2012 Caprice PPV will not start. No crank.

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Willigaf

Limited success!

Post by Willigaf »

Took off work today.

As suggested I jumped the terminals in the fuse box marked CRANK or CRNK, having previously switched that relay with the matching rear defrost relay, with no success.

I don’t know if either relay is good. I had a wire between ground and blade 30 of one of those relays and alternated the remaining blades onto a 12v source and when I hit blade 87, the relay clicked so I know there’s some functionality there.

Figured out which holes in the fuse block corresponded to those blades, rigged up a jumper, and she’ll crank til the cows come home.

Replaced main battery with a known good one.

Still get nothing but a click when turning the key, which also got a new 2032 battery today.

Talking with another car guy/shade tree buddy, we get the feeling there’s some security issue here. It’s hard to tell with all the chimes if the fuel pump is kicking on at key turn. Does it even prime like in a mid90s vehicle? I hear my old ford truck pump at key on like a 2 stroke at high revs.
Sanford

Re: 2012 Caprice PPV will not start. No crank.

Post by Sanford »

When you say you jumped the terminals in the fuse box, did you jump with a wire from a known 12 volt source? I always remove the relay and jump the appropriate terminals in the fuse box. This will verify that you have 12 volts for the load circuit and have a complete circuit to the starter solenoid. The wiring is obviously good the starter, since you were able to get it to crank. You just need to confirm you have the 12 volts for the controlled side of the circuit at the fuse box.

David
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

I made that confusing. I tested the relay in my basement with a charged car battery.

On the car I jumped the terminals in the fuse box with a wire and the starter cranked. I then tried it with the key on, and got the same result. Lots of cranking, no running.
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Going to have to figure out what part of the fire triangle is missing and start troubleshooting.

Did you ever find the smoking gun on the “no crank” condition?

I would start checking all of the fuses for the “no run” problem once you figure out what you are missing.

David
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

No luck yet. All the flat blade fuses under the hood have continuity per the multimeter. As does the square 40 amp fuse labeled STRTR. At about $20 a pop at Advance auto parts I didn’t want to just grab a handful of relays to swap in. The horn relay and IGN relay match, and the horn works, so I switched those two and have no change.

Behind the kick panel there’s a relay labeled RUN I will try to jump the terminals on next I think.

There’s really not a fuse or relay labeled as fuel pump, but some as fuel sensor, and ign or inj even, which I’ll assume is short for event. Then there are some others I will be googling like RAP1 and RAP2.

Anyway still just a click from trunk when trying the key in ignition. Only able to crank engine while jumping terminals in the fuse panel.

From page 1, I figured out the IGN/ISRVM fuse that was cooked under the hood was to light up my “inside rear view mirror” which with a blown fuse, previously did not show my direction (n-s-e-w).

One day guys. One day you’re gonna look back here and say remember that guy that talked a lot? Did he ever get his car started? Well I hope you’ll all have helped me figure it out by then haha!
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

And you are not getting a "engine immobilized" message you? Have you tried with all your keys?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Can you feel the relay clicking when someone puts the key in the crank position? I guess you have moved the shifter around while you are holding the key in the crank position.

David
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

^^^^^ ohh that's a good one. Try starting it in neutral see if that makes a difference.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

Tried starting in neutral. Not while shifting from park through low. Only have 1 key which I’d like to address, for sure. Have not had anyone on hand to turn that key for me but I may be able to get a helper tomorrow.

Google suggests a bad “RUN” relay may prevent input to the starter and fuel circuits. I’m pretty sure I’ve swapped it with a matching sensor though.

Not getting engine immobilized message. Only stabilitrak fault.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

so it cranks over , and not start ?

check fuel pressure and ign spark