Map Lights for 2014+ PPV's - Possible!!

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
smwalker
Administration Staff

Map Lights for 2014+ PPV's - Possible!!

Post by smwalker »

Who's up for an experiment?? Came across a neat little part that will easily pop into the 14+ interiors and give you some map lights up front. It is a dome light assembly from a 2010-13 Buick LaCrosse .
GM part number 9059876 - W/O Ambient Lighting - Titanium.
titainium LaCrosse Dome.jpg
titainium LaCrosse Dome.jpg (308.34 KiB) Viewed 9514 times

We came across this when someone was going to paint thier dome assembly black for a black headliner change and they were not sure what they were going to do with the factory tan buttons of the dome light. Good thing is Buick buttons already come in black so just disassemble and paint the bezel to your desired color. My hope is the titanium color is a close match with our factory dome surround, have not verified.

A vendor I use a lot has a bunch of these in stock. They buy surplus stuff from GM so the parts are factory new.
SourceOne Auto Parts

Here is the parts listing and you can see the vast price difference in #13:
lecrosse dome part numbers.png
lecrosse dome part numbers.png (157.15 KiB) Viewed 9514 times
The assemblies that say With Ambient lighting do not have the on off switch in the center. Someone tried one of these (picture below in black) and the light just stayed on all the time. So I believe we need the center rocker switch to work with our BCM.
2014 lecrosse dome painted black.jpg
2014 lecrosse dome painted black.jpg (113.96 KiB) Viewed 9514 times
Wiring - We do have to add a wire for the map lights circuit. That is a wire that is battery power or always on so you can use the light when you are parked with the key off. We can get that power from the ticket light circuit and that gets shut off after about 10 minutes so wont drain the battery. In the 14+ that is a White/Brown wire.

There is also a spot for the LED Back light Control and that is for the light that lights up the icons on the buttons so you can see them in the dark. I do not think that circuit extends into the headliner on the PPV. At least it did not in the 11-13's as that circuit ended at the dash harness going up to the headliner.
Seems to be the case the wire does not continue up into the headline from the panel connector. Here is the info on the connector:
https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-1376103-1.html
Here it is in spot 10 as you see there is a wire color and size on one side of the connector but nothing on the other. That means it ends in that connector.
snapshot of panel to headliner pinout.png
snapshot of panel to headliner pinout.png (102.99 KiB) Viewed 9507 times
Here is the pinout from the Buick. The PPV is missing wires in spots 1 and 3.
Buick LecrossDome Pinout.png
Buick LecrossDome Pinout.png (64.08 KiB) Viewed 9514 times
Terminal Information - Connector body looks to be Sumitomo 6098-5985
Terminals could be :
8240-0127 - 20-22 AWG Wire
8240-0128 - 16-18 AWG Wire
Sumitomo Wiring Systems Catalog

Sumitomo, that's a new one for me, now to find them in small quantities - will update.
Update: Smallest I could find was 100 pieces min order at Nexus Electronics. Come out to about $50. So will be stealing from parts out for the time being! I got 4 wire leads fro my 14 parts car contact me if you need one.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Re: Map Lights for 2014+ PPV's - Possible!!

Post by s/c'd cav »

im actually doing the SS overhead and rear in mine , i have the SS harness also , and ive got another rear view mirror to move the pass airbag light to

i just have to make the time to do it
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

You might find one feature will not work with the SS overhead dome light. IF you are sitting in the car with the door closed and want to turn on the general dome lights (for front and rear) . On the PPV the switch rocks over to one side and stays there. That supplies a continuous signal to the BCM to turn on the light. On the SS (And 11-13 PPV) turning on that light you press a button. That sends a momentary signal to the BCM to turn on the light. These two functions are not interchangeable as the BCM circuitry is different for each.

Funny thing thous in AU they all have the SS style. This PPV style light only seems to be a US market thing. SO they had to adapt the BCM specifically for us. That's not like GM to do that!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

thats kinda odd , ill have to remember that

ive also got the black housings to swap around with too , since i want dark headliners and upper trim in both cars
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Another member is giving this a try and contacted me for the wires needed to make it work. I figured with 4 wires in my 14 headliner harness I do not plan on using I would be able to scavenge an least 3 wires that had the correct connectors on both ends for the LED back light circuit. Well what I did not read in the wiring harness is that 2 of the wires actually go toward the rear of the cars down the back and back up to the BCM for some reason. So I was only able to get one good wire with both terminals, and even it has a splice in it, UGH.

Another reason the scavenge route is no good because the terminals in the headliner to dash connector are very hard to remove. The release tool they recommend GM Part 15315247 or J-38125-553 is kinda expensive at $30-$50. I was able to use another GM release tool and after I lifted the secondary terminal release from the top of the connector only about 1/16 of an inch after I releaseed like 4 of them the rest just sort of fell out. So not sure what I did there.

So good news is we can get the terminal at the headliner harness in small quantities from mouser.
AMP 025 series Part number 1376109-1

This terminal would get inserted into spot 10 as note above. Here is the diagram of the headliner plug so we can find #10. It should be an empty space according to the pinout.
WN headliner plug.png
WN headliner plug.png (107.28 KiB) Viewed 9413 times

Here is a drawing of the connector in case you are interested
AMP 025 series 24 cavity connector 1376103-1

UPDATE: Found a retired GM dealer that was selling tray 22 of the terminals that GM has. Included in there is the Sumitomo terminals we need. Should have about 20 of then in there. Plus I get a mess of other Sumitomo Terminals that I do not know if I will ever need! But I got em!! SO if you need some wires made up let me know.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
MJHughesGT

Post by MJHughesGT »

Hi all,

Thanks very much to Steve for doing the research here and even send me the terminated wires! I am very happy to report that first off the color match was spot on to my eye. Also, the LED back lighting works well. It's a nice blue shade that dims with the dash cluster dimming switch. Works great!

The white headliner connector that you need to insert the pin into for the backlight control is located at the bottom of the driver's side A-pillar. Just pull the trim piece off, and it'll be right there. You probably want to disconnect the batter first, as there is a curtain airbag under that same A-Pillar trim piece cover.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

MJ sent me a pic on FB - Platinum color is good, I was worried about that!
WN dome comparison.jpg
WN dome comparison.jpg (38.9 KiB) Viewed 9280 times
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
cerbomark

Post by cerbomark »

Don t know if this helps you but I have a 2016 c1 and I have the standard map lights like your pics and no "cop" report writing light . It all functions normal.
2016 C1
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Oh so in your 16 you have the center dome lamp and the outside map lights?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
cerbomark

Post by cerbomark »

yes, looks like the first black one in your pics but it s all tan.

Edit,, well its that big but the switches are different.
2016 C1