Interior chime in Instrument Panel, is it controlled by BCM

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: Interior chime in Instrument Panel, is it controlled by BCM

Post by Pursuit »

Be careful swapping IPC's around. I believe that the security features of the car will go into alarm. It is a built in feature to prevent odometer/mileage tampering. Chris White of WAMS, could speak better on this.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Here is a link to the PDF of the OEM speaker tech sheet. Just have to figure out where I can locate one in the US.
http://www.unique-sound.co.kr/unique/pr ...
I looked at the 50 ohm Mouser speakers and just have to find one that has close to the specs of the OE speaker. I can live with something a little different in diameter, just want to make sure it is close to the same wattage.

I was aware of the swapping of the cluster, due to the VIN and odometer tampering. If I could just get the needles off without screwing something up, it would be easy to swap the speaker. At this time I don't want to risk wrecking a cluster that works.

David
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Seems like the base is an integral part to it. So the base gets clipped and soldered to the board then the upper speaker gets soldered to the base? There is obviously some leads inside the plastic sending signal to the speaker??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speaker-for-VW ... SwEX1d9KOB
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Unsoldering the speaker from the stand, and the speaker surviving, is a pretty slim chance. The wires/circuit in the stand is heavy and leads out of the speaker is small. The plastic falls apart from the heat that is required to unsolder that connection.

I did succeed in getting the fine speaker wires soldered to some heavier wire, which could be soldered to the heavy leads sticking out of the stand. I had to slit the mylar cover to get enough wire to solder to. It did not turn out very pretty, but at the present time it is working. The retaining tabs were bent out of shape, so I used 4 little blobs of hot glue to hold the speaker to stand.

If I was confident in removing needles off of the gauges and having them work correctly after reinstalling them, I would have unsoldered the stand from the circuit board, which would have been easy.

I am going to look the Mouser selection over and see if I can get one to do the job.

Steve, Thanks for posting the link to the speaker.

David Image
Attachments
2012 Caprice fixed chime.jpg
2012 Caprice fixed chime.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 3681 times