Installing factory rear vision camera on 2014

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
TXPPV

Re: Installing factory rear vision camera on 2014

Post by TXPPV »

smwalker wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:04 pm Pin 5 definitely needs a ground, but not the drain wire that is just for the shielding of the video cable.
Just curious where the bare wire is going? I didn't look at it real closely before I installed it but the bare wire is dead on the radio side of the gray wire. Only the red and black have terminals on them.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Yea it just ends in the shielding. Does not connect to anything on the radio side.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
TXPPV

Post by TXPPV »

smwalker wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:24 pm Yea it just ends in the shielding. Does not connect to anything on the radio side.
sorry. You already answered that lol. Busy here at the shop and not reading slow enough
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I have come up with a harness to add on to the factory GM camera system. It sends the camera signal to the radio and gets power from the AUX battery relay plug. One splice in the wiring is required into the Green wire for the reverse light circuit back by the passenger side taillight. Below is some installations notes.

Protective Cover - On the long wire that goes up to the radio you will see a cover over the terminals that connect into the radio. This cover is in place to protect the terminals while you are running the wire the length of the car and through the dash. THose terminals are kind of fragile and can snap if not careful.

Routing - Enough wire length is included for you to run the wire to the radio through the top of right side of the trunk, down the back seat, all along the outside of the seats on the passenger side, up the dash behind the glove box and into the rear of the radio area. Try to follow and attach periodically to the large factory harness that runs in the same spots. You may be able to open up the wire chase channels also to let the harness wire rest in those chases. There may be some extra wire at the radio, that's normal. Rather have more than come up short.

Inserting terminals into radio plug X4 - See this post of this thread for some picture of how to take off the connector secondary lock cover and insert the terminals into the #5 and #15 spots. Red is your positive camera signal that will go into spot #5. Black wire is the common signal and will go into spot #15. There is a tang on the side of the terminal that only allows it to go in one way. DO NOT force the terminal in. If it is not going in easy you may have it backward. At the very end you may need to use a pick to push the terminal all the way in till it clicks. Be very careful with the pick as you could damage the terminal and or wire. Once you have both terminals seated and the secondary lock cover back on tie wrap or tape the wire to the existing vehicle harness coming from that plug to support the wire. Here is the red and black wire inserted:
REd and Black WIre inserted into X4 Radio Plug
REd and Black WIre inserted into X4 Radio Plug
X4 radio plug.jpg (80.21 KiB) Viewed 10899 times

Connector Mounting - Once you fish the camera harness into the trunk area you can connect the vehicle harness and mount the gray connector into the oval hole that is in the sheet metal towards the outside of the vehicle. In this picture you can see where it mounts:
Camera Connector Mounting  Location
Camera Connector Mounting Location
14 PPV Camera Plug 2.jpg (81.24 KiB) Viewed 10903 times
Next you will need to remove the side trunk liner on the passenger side to get to the AUX battery and the taillight harness.

Ignition and ground jumper plug - For the jumper plug you are going to unplug the wire on the Aux Battery relay/solenoid and plug that into the appropriate connector from the harness. Then plug the other connector back into the relay/solenoid. If you do not have an AUX battery you should still have an AUX battery relay plug it will be plugged into a black connector and taped to one of the wiring harnesses.

Reverse light splice - Look for the green wire coming off the taillight connector and follow that harness back along the side of the car and find a good spot to remove/slice some tape and add a splice. This should be somewhere the single green wire from the harness will reach without an issue. Cut vehicle reverse light circuit wire, slide on shrink tubing to the wire going to the taillight. Strip back the insulation from all wires and combine the green wire from the camera harness with the wire you cut on the reverse light circuit. Combine wires together and crimp on the butt connector, crimp the other wire into the other side of the butt connector and slide the shrink tubing over the butt connector. Get a match or a lighter and heat up the shrink tubing till it adheres closely to the wires and butt connector. Re tape the harness and splice to protect it in the vehicle harness.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

do you have some ready ? or do you need some time ?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Can build in a day. Have all the stuff for like 3 of them.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

go ahead when you have time , get one made up for me please !

and pm me your info for payment , and if you think youll be out karos way next weekend , you can bring it , if not shipping it is fine
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

WildGS wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:35 pm Anyone have better puctures of the stock camera setup with the trim off? Trying to see if the 2015 style trim with the camera installed will fit a 2012.
WildGS,
I just installed the camera, harness and trim garnish on my 2011. It all fit nicely. Waiting on a harness. Smwalker needs to fabricate a different connection at the radio end of the harness. In 2013 he fabricated a connector to fit the 2011-2013 radios. It has a female RCA plug on it for the rear camera. Nor sure if those are still available...

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
WildGS

Post by WildGS »

Pursuit wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:43 pm
WildGS wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:35 pm Anyone have better puctures of the stock camera setup with the trim off? Trying to see if the 2015 style trim with the camera installed will fit a 2012.
WildGS,
I just installed the camera, harness and trim garnish on my 2011. It all fit nicely. Waiting on a harness. Smwalker needs to fabricate a different connection at the radio end of the harness. In 2013 he fabricated a connector to fit the 2011-2013 radios. It has a female RCA plug on it for the rear camera. Nor sure if those are still available...

Maurice
Awesome, now if GMpartsdirect would only ship my parts I ordered 2 months ago...
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

got my harness today , now to work on the next step and get my parts ready to be sent to chris