Speakers - Upgrades?

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Tom Slick

Speakers - Upgrades?

Post by Tom Slick »

Has anyone done any speaker upgrades?

I'm thinking about upgrading the speakers, and maybe adding a couple of free-air 8" subwoofers to the the rear shelf. Anyone added a center channel dash speaker?

I have a Solo-Baric 8" subwoofer and amp from my 2009 GMC Sierra, and was thinking of fabricating a new enclosure for my Caprice... maybe ported through the 8" cut-outs in the rear shelf...

Any thoughts, ideas, concerns, etc?

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Speakers - Upgrades?

Post by Navy Lifer »

Tom, I'm sorry I didn't contact you in follow-up about coming down to Round Rock while my car was getting work done at Scott Williams' new "home shop".

I can tell everyone this: if you want to improve the sound--even with the stock speakers--the first thing to do is addition of sound attenuating material, whether Dynomat (like Kleenex vs tissue) or other brands, on any & all surfaces you can easily access. Since the headliner was out of my car, it now has a significantly "damped" cabin compared to stock, with the entire roof panel covers, as well as C-pillars, under package tray deck, and on trunk lid (to be covered by a G8 carpet). The could be much more done--doors, floor, rear compartment floor/deck areas, and more.

The difference is significant.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Bill,

My biggest issue is distortion from the factory speakers, and a general lack of bass... I do know that whatever I do, I'm going to remove bass from the door speakers (crossover or bass blockers).

I'm curious if anyone has installed 8" subs in the rear deck, a la G8, and what they used... I have planned on dampening the doors (and trunk) when I do this...

BTW, what were the part #'s for the hood insulator you bought, and for the trunk lid liner?

Thanks!
Tom Slick
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Whatever mods you can make to improve the fidelity of the audio system let us know. The stereo in my Caprice is like 3 orders more tinny then my Volvo with their stock speakers. I had the entire back seat out earlier this week for cable running purposes and took a quick look inside the back deck from what I could get to... all I saw was hot melt glue residue under one of the flaps and I quit. You might be in for a nasty suprise if you go to disassemble....
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

I've decided, rather than installing 8" subs like the G8's, to build a new enclosure for my Solo Baric 8" and remove the plates where the factory subs would go (porting to the cabin).

Why? Because my Solo Baric will produce better bass than two IB subs, and I don't want to spend money to get the sub flanges/covers/etc. Plus, I already have an amp matched to it perfectly!

As for the door and center speakers, I'll definitely be replacing the door speakers with better component and coaxial speakers, along with baffles and dampening material. As for the center speaker, I need to see if there is even one present and/or if wiring is present for one.

Will probably pick-up a decent 4-channel amp for the door speakers, too...

Later,
Tom Slick
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

I agree with Bill. Dynomat, or Fatmat has to get put in. IMHO, these cars are noisy inside to start with. Can't hurt putting in some sound deadening.

DM
Dennis

2011 Caprice PPV
2008 Mustang GT (wife's daily driver)
2007 C/V P-71
2006 F-350
1999 H-D FXWDG
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

So, has anybody done any upgrades?
I am so displeased (?) with the audio in these cars that knowing what I know now, I would not have bought the car. Should have gone with a two-year-old CTS-V like I originally planned........

Dennis
Dennis

2011 Caprice PPV
2008 Mustang GT (wife's daily driver)
2007 C/V P-71
2006 F-350
1999 H-D FXWDG
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Tom Slick wrote:BTW, what were the part #'s for the hood insulator you bought, and for the trunk lid liner?
I missed this until now....maybe it's history, but if useful, good.

Underhood insulator
92139057 - retainers, 10-pack, uses 12 or 14 total

It might be better to wait to see if the SS insulator will fit, since it won't have the holes for the faux "scoops" on the G8 insulator

Trunk carpet:
http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=210" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Navy Lifer wrote:Installed the G8 trunk lid carpet, PN 92171583. The holes punched in this molded carpet do not match the PPV trunk lid at every position. I had to drill 4 new holes, along the lower section, 2 on either side of the latch loop. I also had to massage some of the holes in the carpet to align to the hole(s) in the lid to install a retainer.

12 carpet retainers are needed, in 2 sizes - PN 92138253 (small head) and PN 92183231 (large head--these are the same as used to secure lower trunk panels). G8 uses 12 of the small head retainers. I could not find anything else that worked satisfactorily due to the size of the holes in the trunk lid itself--8mm or 5/16". I actually drilled small starter holes first, then drilled to 9/32, and used a hand reamer to size the holes from there to finished diameter, since the material is so thin.

In my case (may vary if the holes in carpet or trunk lid are not consistent), I used 8 of the small head retainers and 4 of the large head retainers.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Thanks!

I'm thinking if I do get the trunk liner, I'm going to punch new holes into the liner... and cut slots so the LEDs can still be seen...

Later,
Tom Slick
264HSV

Post by 264HSV »

Guys, I've done a pretty extensive audio upgrade in my WM Grange. I still run the factory Bose Premium head unit but have bypassed the factory amp. Instead I run through an Audison Bit One digital processor into a Polk digital 5 channel 1,000W amp. I run 2 x 12" Morel Primo subs in a custom box in the trunk. The rear parcel shelf I run a pair of 6x9" Morel Tempo coax and a set of Morel Tempo 2 ways in the front. I have disconnected the rear door speakers as well as the roof DVD console 3 1/2" and the centre dash 3 1/2" as they are simply redundant for the sound stage I wanted to create. Apart from the roof the entire car has been smothered with sound deadening similar to Dynamat - this is critical if you want to enjoy the sound.
Aftermarket head units will give you RCA connect ability (unless your factory unit has it - mine doesn't, hence the Bit One) but you loose that stock look. All my speaker grills are stock and apart from the subs in the boot you wouldn't know the system has been upgraded to lok at.....until you turn it on :o :o
Fitting a pair of 8" subs in the parcel shelf would be great - just Fatmat etc the crap out of the shelf - top and bottom. Also do the boot floor, sides and trunk lid as a bare minimum. If you upgrade the door speakers then mat the doors when you swap out the speakers. Try to upgrade the speaker wires too as factory wire is crap.
Hope this helps a little....ama more specific - happy to help.
Oh yeah....fully cranked it sets off car alarms - massive bass and total clarity - highly recommend Morel, Polk amps and the Bit One.

As for under hood insulation there are many alternatives.....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/aut ... -heat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w245-b- ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/11982 ... on_EN.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://hoodliners.blogspot.com.au/p/abo ... iners.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-11905-Hoo ... B00069QLVC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More than one way to skin a cat and usually save a few bucks too.