Will this battery fit my 2011 PPV?

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
dorqus

Will this battery fit my 2011 PPV?

Post by dorqus »

So looks like my 2011 PPV came with a slightly under powered battery, sometimes has slow cranking, (but always starts) However now that it's getting colder here near NYC, I'm noticing it more and more. Tonight I noticed that the dash lights around the radio were flickering when the car was at idle/low RPMs. When I accelerated a bit, they stopped. The car currently has a AC Delco 47P7YR battery, 60AH, 600 CCA (AGM). The car calls for 765CCA. I saw this battery on amazon.com for $164, cheaper than any brick and mortar stores near me. (Autozone, NAPA, Advance Auto)
ACDelco Gold 94RAGM 36 Month Warranty AGM BCI Group 94R Battery

However, it says "This does not fit your car" Anyone have experience with this battery?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006N ... 0DER&psc=1
There are some reviews of folks getting damaged batteries or fake ones, so there is that to take into account before ordering a battery online.

This web site lists the AC Delco 94 RAGM as being a fit for the car.
https://chevrolet.7zap.com/en/caprice/4 ... 20495-0-0/
BATTERY,(CCA 850)(TOP POST)(315X175X190)(US DEALERS CONTACT ACDELCO WD FOR ORDERING & PRICING INFO)(ACDelco #94RAGM)(PROFESSIONAL)(USE VENT TUBE 92253745)

Thanks!!
dorqus

Re: Will this battery fit my 2011 PPV?

Post by dorqus »

Just came across this link http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... faefea8c50 that shows that battery as fitting.
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

I found that after a few days of the car being idle, my voltage was low. My batteries are probably old-ish (600 CCA's) but I found that both batteries were "gently installed". The 10mm nut/bolts were kinda loose - to the point I suspected it was intentional. I put the batteries on a tender after removing them and they charged up nice and my battery tester says good. I think that the bad connections caused the passenger side battery to never charge up well and when the car was running (short trips), the charging system was always playing catchup - and not doing a great job. In any case, I'm removing one battery (passenger) along with all the associated hardware. Another solution might be to just tighten up the connections and run 2. I want the weight savings. I wish the trunk liner would be more accommodating and make it easy to exploit the extra trunk space.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
dorqus

Post by dorqus »

I don't have the auxiliary battery, and the one on the drivers side is securely mounted, and the positive and negative terminals are nice and snug as well.

It has always been slow to crank (I picked up the car at the end of May, and it sat for a while as I was sorting out some various gremlins and not driving it that often, but lately I've been driving it just about daily), and like I said, I did notice flickering dash lights (the ones for the HVAC system specifically) this evening while driving it at low RPMs/idle.

I just checked a few minutes ago (it's just past midnight here) but couldn't see the manufacture code/date on the battery, guessing it's under the bracket. Maybe tomorrow if I have time I'll take the bracket off and see how old this battery is.

Here's a picture of the current battery, taken back in June, not long after I got the car.
Attachments
PXL_20210601_162020695.jpg
PXL_20210601_162020695.jpg (3.28 MiB) Viewed 1356 times
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Yes, the H7/94R battery will fit. Get the AGM variety if you can, there's a posted blem special on those in the bargains section if you're inclined & need to save money. I just changed the battery in my car, the bigger replacement went in fine, started right up. The only down side on the bargain batteries is if the battery goes bad there is no over the counter warranty. Here's a few pics..
IMG-20211205-WA0005.jpeg
IMG-20211205-WA0005.jpeg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 1343 times
That's a comparison between the AC Delco H6 (stock) and the H7. Also the H7 is showed newly installed (did it yesterday in fact!). It's interesting looking at the 2011 battery hardware setup vs. the 2015 battery setup. The 2015 looks cleaner in my opinion, plus Holden seems to have streamlined things a bit.

Your battery did very well for being 10-11 years old. Time for that gold watch, it's earned it! I swapped mine at 7 years to be on the safe side, I didn't want to be stranded somewhere.

Thanks
Eric
Attachments
IMG-20211205-WA0007.jpeg
IMG-20211205-WA0007.jpeg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 1343 times
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
dorqus

Post by dorqus »

Thanks for the update - good to know that the H7/94R will fit. I don't think my current battery is 10+ year old, it's an AC Delco AGM battery, but it's just too small I think for the car. Previous owner got the car and flipped it relatively quickly it seems, I have the feeling he just put in whatever battery he had lying around. I can't find the product code on it, I think it's blocked by the fuse block by the negative terminal. No matter - just on the fence on ordering from Amazon due tot he number of reviews stating that the battery arrived damaged via shipping (Looks like they just put them in a cardboard box with a few sheets of thin styrofoam around it), so guessing during shipping the corners got damaged. I tested the battery with the car off and it registered 12.4 volts, while the engine was running it was around 14.4, which seems to be in spec with what it should be.

Just don't want to wait for the first really cold morning and I need to get out of the house and then it won't turn over!
dorqus

Post by dorqus »

So I purchased a new battery. ordered a 94R AGM battery from summitracing.com, same price as from amazon, but I seemed to have had a $5.00 off coupon.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado- ... /year/2011

It will be here on Thursday! And no core charge, so I can keep the old one as spare just in case (somewhere in my garage I have a battery tender from when I used to ride motorcycles)
dorqus

Post by dorqus »

Battery came today and I installed it - was manufactured in September, 2021, so it's a fresh one. Was packed pretty well, even if it does weigh 50lbs! So far no issues with it, car started right up, and a few hours after I installed it I took the car for a 40 minute drive running some errands to top it off. Zone and Auto lights are still flickering, so clearly unrelated, but the car does start a lot quicker/easier now it seems for the few times I started it. Just in time for NY Winter!