NOW TAKING PRE-ORDERS FOR AMERICAN MADE CAPRICE SS BUMPERS

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
xcidmigs

Re: NOW TAKING PRE-ORDERS FOR AMERICAN MADE CAPRICE SS BUMPE

Post by xcidmigs »

[quote

Only a fag would pass on the bumper over concerns it doesn't meet federal regulations. Sheesh.[/quote]

Hi, thanks for that intelligent reply so we all know where you stand on the issue.
My point has more to do with anyone who regards not only their own car mods but safety of any of us in general who are driving these cars or possibly selling or buying one that is modified by someone else and the concerns that go with those mods similarly to mods like removing emissions devices. I'm not judging anyone elses decision to do whatever mods they want to their own car just pointing out a fact someone else may not be aware of. I'm guessing by your own response that you have never considering things like what goes on after a fatal crash involving a vehicle you own, drove or where crashed into by. In most states a licensed crash reconstruction certified inspection person would go over any and all parts of a car and CERTAINLY check for things like body/light modifications that do not meet US standards. This information could then be used to determine things like fault, negligence and civil responsibilities after such an event which could include: awards from a jury, compensation from insurance companies, or even if criminal charges are going to be brought forth by a LE organization. Again please take this for what it is just a statement of fact, do what you like to your own vehicle.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

I'd possibly be interested in a rear deck spoiler.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Very nice looking product, but just for the sake of academic discussion I'm going to side with Migs on this one. It's not Officer Friendly at the street level you have to be afraid of, or the local DMV inspector (unless he/she is an absolute prick), it's Whiplash Levine after the fatality has occurred, the traffic homicide investigation is complete, and the civil suit gets filed by the family, widow, et al.. months after the fatal crash naming everyone who ever had a hand in building the customized car as parties. Unfortunately we live in a litigious society these days, the kind of lawyers that file these cases get paid very excellent money to nitpick to the Nth degree, and lord forbid a car operating outside of DOT specs is in any way involved in a potentially preventable fatality. I can just SEE the cross-examination on the stand now.... sigh..... Remember burden of proof for a "win" in a civil trial is much lower then in a criminal case.

Yep, I'll agree that the possibility of this happening is very, very remote. But... low-order probability events DO happen, that's what keeps insurance underwriters awake at night. My wife works commercial insurance - processing insurance policies for big national over-the-road vehicle companies. Any idea how many drivers in your lane are on their 5th DUI or more and still driving? Yeah, everyone can get insurance at SOME price.... even with 40+ moving violations on their MVR. Are you next in Charlie Screw-up's cross-hairs?

Anyway, just my .02 worth - from an ex-cop that's seen a few people get hosed in court. Like your house, cars, retirement savings? Want to keep it all? Err on the side of caution in this area sports fans!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
hdcjmartin

Post by hdcjmartin »

You can always do it the right way... you can still buy all the AUS crash bar/bumper support. Like someone said above... I know a lot of guys have side repeaters on their car which would pass for a side reflector I'm sure unless you live in a state where inspections are super anal. If anyone is still interested I have streettrends pay pal for deposits of 200, then 200 later once bumpers are ready. Production time is about 6 weeks.
91C02920

Post by 91C02920 »

xcidmigs wrote:That bumper appears to delete the front side amber reflectors which is a US FEDERAL REGULATION... I would be nervous doing that regardless of what your states inspection situation is. Maybe figure out how to install one in the fender "Vent" area at the same time?

I'm inclined to think the amber in the headlights cover the side marker requirements. The other lower reflector lines up with it in a side profile. Looking at pics of several similar year other Chevys and many don't have a separate side marker, just the amber in the side of the headlight. Pretty much only the cars without amber in the headlight have separate amber side markers.

The Chevy SS doesn't have a lower side marker in the front.

Reading the only thing I found defines side markers as this:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Side marker lamps are lamps which show to the side of the vehicle, mounted on the permanent structure of the vehicle as near as practicable to the front and rear edges to indicate the overall length of the vehicle. Additional lamps may also be mounted at intermediate locations on the sides of the vehicle.
Seems the middle of the fender blinkers wouldn't meet side marker requirements in the SS, Caprice, or any other car. the amber in the headlight has to do it.

In summary, I wouldn't worry about losing the side markers here as I feel it is covered in the headlights, with the understanding of course I haven't read the requirement near enough to confirm particulars of that, but that would be my position.
nstg8r

Post by nstg8r »

If I can't find a replacement push bumper for a reasonable price I may be interested in going this route.
l77

Post by l77 »

Interested ~ is the chrome molding included?
x-pro1/x-pro2/x-t30
8/12/18/35/60/90mm
04sshd

Post by 04sshd »

I would like to have one
2011 9C1 PPV
2018 Ford F150 Raptor SCREW 802A Leadfoot
2004 Ford F250 CCSB FX4 6.0 Powerstroke
1995 Hummer H1 HMCO 6.2 Diesel
1972 GMC Jimmy 1 ton 327/350/np205
1972 Chevy Chevelle Malibu 383/400
1969 Chevy C10 Panel Delivery 454/400
1968 Chevy C10 Suburban 350/350
1962 Cadillac Coupe DeVille on bags and wide whites
Owned MANY WX3 and 9C1 B-bodies, many P71 Panthers
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Believe this project has been scuttled until further notice:

From a Facebook Post :
Jason Fluch
September 25
I tried to get the Australian version of the bumper remade in the US by my manufacturer. Only 6 people out of 40 sent 1/2 of their deposit money. Then 2 members started to rant about getting their money back yesterday morning. Not a problem but my accountant only does refunds on a Fridays. This obviously wasn’t good enough so now I’m the bad guy. I guess that’s what you get for trying to make a part that everyone said they’d buy.
Anyways it’s not worth the hassle.
I didn’t remove the page but I’m glad it’s down because I’m just going to cancel the project.
Refunds for the 6 people will be done Friday.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
JustDreamin

Re: NOW TAKING PRE-ORDERS FOR AMERICAN MADE CAPRICE SS BUMPERS

Post by JustDreamin »

Looks like the vendor "Street Trends" is out of business, leaving some folks high and dry with cash out of pocket but no stuff.

Kinda glad this folded up, hope nobody on here got taken for a ride.

I do like the looks of the Caprice SS bumper much more than our factory offering, would love to be able to source one affordably. But haven't seen how to do that yet. Maybe someday....

JustDreamin