Rear side window trims falling off

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
elc32955
System Manager

Rear side window trims falling off

Post by elc32955 »

When I was looking at my car at the dealership before purchase, it was missing the chrome piece that went around the right rear wing window. Turns out there was a 9C1 from another Georgia agency in the dealer's body shop at the exact same time for the exact same problem. After a little research, it seems this is a chronic problem with Holden cars (specifically VE Series 2), don't know if they use substandard adhesives or there's a process problem in the plant. Anyways, my trim had to be replaced before I took delivery.

I've been watching the trim on the other window, it's still hanging in there but the bond between the chrome and the window feels very loose (it's glued into place to the window).

Anyone else having this issue? If you're not right now, you might down the road. Something to keep an eye on for sure! Doesn't look like the new SS Sedan has this kind of window, so this defect was designed out of the nextgen car.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
bkwagonss

Re: Rear side window trims falling off

Post by bkwagonss »

You know, that probable explains why there was an extra set of trim in my trunk when I bought mine.
They look fine and the ones on the car look fine too.
I couldn't figure out why they were there.
2011 Caprice PPV 9C3 "karma"
2003 Silverado
1950 Chevy Fleetline
2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid (wife's car)
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

It is a known problem--not certain whether a fix has been implemented (have not looked at service bulletins for any info), but the solution in the past was to replace the entire quarter window assembly, since the trim that comes loose is not a separate service part.

A warranty headache--knock on wood here, so far.
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

Been there, done that, on both sides. The left side shortly after I got the car, the right side 6-8 months later, both were covered under warranty, and my tint guy re-tinted the new glass, no charge.

Very common problem.
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
novadeuce

Post by novadeuce »

Both windows were replaced in my car prior to delivery. My car had 600 miles on it. So it is definetly clear there is an issue. Also had the front glass replaced. It looked as if there where a 1/8 inch white line accross the top of the glass that just stuck out like a sore thumb. I beleive it was just a defective glass where they didnt get the tint right when it was made. Chrome decklid trim also had a broke mounting clip. All was covered under warranty and the dealer had no issues with my requests.
Scott Walker
walker2311@att.net
2013 1LE Camaro
2011 9C3 PPV,wm rear spoiler,rear diffusor, lower chrome trim, wm rockers ss, fog lights, lower grill, chrome/black door handles, custom recessed factory grill, coil overs coming 2013 Camaro wheels in midnight silver in 20 x 8 and 20 x 9, 2014 SS exhaust tips
1952 Chevy Truck LS Conversion
1967 Chevy II Nova
1967 Chevy II Nova 1 Owner (just got her)
1964 Ford F100 (Bastardized in early 80's with chevy stuff)
1971 Datsun 510 (LS project ? Have a motor setup)
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

It's been an issue here since new (2006). I'm disappointed that they have not improved it.

The short wheelbase models like the G8 don't have that window at all, so are unaffected.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Recent (June) road trip experience:

While putting the car through a car wash to get rid of the first day's bugs, I happened to notice that when the car came out of the wash lane, the left quarter window trim was missing.

Luckily, I was able to find it - inside the wash lane - before another car was run through. There's a very small "smudge" of damage to the piece, strictly cosmetic and you have to look for it.

Once I got to Texas, I looked more carefully at the right quarter window trim, and "sho'nuff" it was coming loose to the point that when I tugged on it, it was separating easily, so I went ahead and pulled it off. The assembly of these parts, and adhesive used, are clearly sub-par, as Troutman has noted.

This was while the car was at Scott's for all the work going on, so a few strips of 3M double-sided trim tape, some light cleaning of the surfaces on the window opening (the glass seems to be molded into the rubber surround). The results aren't as perfect as I would have liked, but the parts are stuck REAL good compared to the production method.

I may eventually play the warranty card, but I probably should have done that before re-attaching the bright parts with double-sided tape....I'd want to hold on to those pieces for the future.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Take 'em back off and run the car through the friendly local dealer's body shop while you still have your warranty. They will probably replace both of the windows and the trim pieces at no charge... from stories I've heard they have to replace the whole rear window assembly when processing a warranty claim.

Spare tims for the next time :)

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
isszy

Post by isszy »

SInce I saw this post I have been looking at every Statesman / Caprice I have passed - probably 30 - 40 in the last week, and none of them show any signs of the strip coming off. This may be because as a luxury car, the owners are on top of these things and get them back to the dealer at the first sign of trouble.

Did the squad car version not have the chrome ? I noticed no chrome on AACopD05's car, there is no chrome strip at all ?

Troutman

Post by Troutman »

I definitely see them fall off on Holdens, though most people seem to fix them swiftly. I was told cost is $170 including the glass, but not labour. It is a shame nobody sells just the chrome.

All variants have the chrome, though some have intentionally removed it.

The next time I receive any queries on this topic I will link to this thread, as the solutions presented here are excellent.
Last edited by Troutman on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.