Roof leak into map light cluster

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
major_ppv_fan

Roof leak into map light cluster

Post by major_ppv_fan »

Seems like my roof is leaking into the map light cluster and dripping down onto the trans tunnel plate in the heavy rains. :shock:
Can't seem to figure out where the hole is though, and there's not much wetness on the roof liner. Its not a lot of water, but it's unsettling.

Any tips appreciated. Thanks!
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV 9C1 L77
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Roof leak into map light cluster

Post by elc32955 »

Unless you had holes drilled & sealed in your roof from lightbars, antennas, et al (or a very small hole that isn't filled for that matter!) the only stock roof penetration is around the factory antenna. There's a rubber seal around the base of the antenna mount you should check as well to see if it's cracked or not making good contact. For that matter, if your antenna base is cracked that would do it as well. If you normally park your car on a slight down angle and if the leak is coming from the antenna area, here comes Mr. Drippy!

You may end up pulling the headliner over this one to find the source I'm afraid. Guess you could always try using a borescope on the map light console hole if you pull the module. Have an assistant spray the car while you're inside with the borescope on, see if you can find an active water trail and follow it.

One other thing I've seen in the past - if holes are filled in your rooftop and it was not done well, filler material can always crack slightly with the flexing of the car in-motion. Of course it'd have to get past the paint as well (assuming the hole was painted), so that's an outlier.

Good luck
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
major_ppv_fan

Post by major_ppv_fan »

elc32955 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:53 pm Unless you had holes drilled & sealed in your roof from lightbars, antennas, et al (or a very small hole that isn't filled for that matter!) the only stock roof penetration is around the factory antenna. There's a rubber seal around the base of the antenna mount you should check as well to see if it's cracked or not making good contact. For that matter, if your antenna base is cracked that would do it as well. If you normally park your car on a slight down angle and if the leak is coming from the antenna area, here comes Mr. Drippy!

You may end up pulling the headliner over this one to find the source I'm afraid. Guess you could always try using a borescope on the map light console hole if you pull the module. Have an assistant spray the car while you're inside with the borescope on, see if you can find an active water trail and follow it.

One other thing I've seen in the past - if holes are filled in your rooftop and it was not done well, filler material can always crack slightly with the flexing of the car in-motion. Of course it'd have to get past the paint as well (assuming the hole was painted), so that's an outlier.

Good luck
Eric
Thank you - all very informative. I don't suppose pulling the headliner without breaking something (clips or something) is an easy task without prior experience or perhaps assistance. There were holes on the roof that were filled, yes, and the paint on the roof is not the best
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV 9C1 L77
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

One other suggestion. 3M makes a pretty good metal seal tape, you can commonly find it in body shop supplies. If you ID the leaking hole, you can put a cut/formed section of this tape over it and it will instantly stop the leak. For longer-term use I've used touch up paint on the tape - had one section keep water out of a Crown Vic rooftop for over 3 years that way. If you can't get to a body shop it will at least stop the water.

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.