2014 Taxi from NJ

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
bstoner

2014 Taxi from NJ

Post by bstoner »

Just got home (OH) last night with a white 2014 6.0 from NJ. Has a ton of miles, 190k, ran great, but needs brakes and rims. Picked up some Camaro rims on CL I am going to swap over this week. It was used as a taxi for NJ Transit. No holes for spotlight, lightbar, antennas. Nice. Although it looks like they used a die grinder to remove the decals. LOL. Ever heard of a rubber eraser and goo gone. Will need some touch-up body work and a buff. I think they sold about 20 units on Govdeals; mixed fleet of V6 and V8. Low idle time too.

First off I am disappointed at the power. I expected more. I daily drive a 12 sec 04 Grand Prix, supercharged intercooled V6, zero traction even running MT Streets.... This Caprice feels really held back. Can't even light them up off the line. It definitely needs a lower gear; 3.27 or 3.45 from a Camaro is on my to do list. It also needs a looser converter and cam. DOD delete, cam, minor headwork, tune, and associated intake/exhaust should get me there. I need it to be at least as fast as the GP. I also have a Nenno Pro console waiting to go in when I get time. Might try to cut some weight too. This thing feels heavy. Nothing too crazy, just see what I can remove or thin out.

Down the road I would love to LSA. Love the feel of the supercharger. Really need to get the wife to approve the budget for that one! Haha
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
Mooseman

Re: 2014 Taxi from NJ

Post by Mooseman »

Welcome! Post up some pics. We'd love to see her.

Even before I I added headers and a dyno tune, I found the power still pretty decent. It is pretty restricted in the exhaust so that should be your first mod. Mine, stock, is now pushing 400hp.

It does have a pretty steep gear so that would be next. Apparently 3.27 is the sweet spot on these.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

For sure. Its a plain white car. Looks like a fleet/rental Impala. Definitely a sleeper! LOL. I am still working on things, cleaning, fixing, trying to locate the metal console plate, remove the installed wiring and safety lighting, etc. Going to do a brake job today and get the rims swapped this weekend. I found a local 3.27 rear end. I may throw that in at some point as well.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
JRWolff

Post by JRWolff »

Hi bstoner,

Welcome to the group!! I actually looked at your car (as well as the 34 or so others) when it was sitting in line in NJ waiting for the auction. It was amazing to see 35 of these all in 2 rows. I have attached a pic of them all lined up waiting for the auction. Looks as though they were all well maintained and most likely not driven nearly as hard ones used in police duty. Also nice that they never had any holes in the exterior for antenna's, light bars, spotlights, etc. Good luck and enjoy your new ride!

John
Attachments
IMG_2804.JPG
IMG_2804.JPG (2.26 MiB) Viewed 3619 times
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 R2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1990 V2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1991 GMC Syclone
1986 Buick Grand National
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

Awesome! Did you pick one up? They had a variety of low and high miles and V6 and V8. There were about 5 other people picking them up when I was there. I ended up staying for the weekend and went sightseeing in NYC. Going though maintenance records they look pretty well maintained. They killed the paint removing the decals but otherwise they are good. A couple small lights in the back window I removed, and some wiring I pulled out. They also ran a full Havis console and removed the metal base plate. I am going to run over to the junkyard in a little bit to grab one so I can mount my console in.

When you looked at them were they all the same? Any differences in setup between them?
Brett
JRWolff

Post by JRWolff »

HI Brett,

They were all pretty much the same. I spent about 2 hours looking at them from the outside only. Was interested in a V6 for my son as i have two 2012 V8's for myself. Bids got up slightly above what i was willing to pay, so no luck with any in this group - Although i do think they sold for reasonable amounts.

Hope you enjoy yours!

John
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 R2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1990 V2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1991 GMC Syclone
1986 Buick Grand National
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

Thanks!
2014 Caprice ppv 1
2014 Caprice ppv 1
IMAG0241.jpg (4.18 MiB) Viewed 3471 times
2014 Caprice ppv 2
2014 Caprice ppv 2
IMAG0242.jpg (4.59 MiB) Viewed 3471 times