Fresh Meat..

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
CrashTestDummy

Re: Fresh Meat..

Post by CrashTestDummy »

The engines are pretty much the same. As the model years progressed, the electronic controls get more and more intrusive. In the later year cars you can't completely turn off the stabilitrack and traction control, for example.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

CrashTestDummy wrote:The engines are pretty much the same. As the model years progressed, the electronic controls get more and more intrusive. In the later year cars you can't completely turn off the stabilitrack and traction control, for example.
Above is not correct, 2011 cars have the stabiltrack engineered so it can't be turned 100% off ever. When you press the "sport mode" button that has the traction symbol on the dash it just changes how soon and severe the limiting of the traction control intrusion is. I asked my tuner about changing that so it would be completely off and they said they don't have a solution using EFI live. Read this about halfway down.

https://www.policeone.com/vehicle-incid ... l-Vehicle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

You are correct on 2011's. I had to toggle some engine management parameters off, so I could powerbrake to spool the meats at the track. At least that is how it works on mine. 8-)
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

That was done with HPtuners, EFI live should be able to do it as well, if the tuner knows his stuff, but I could be wrong, can do with HPtuners! :lol:
Bob Dannelley
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

leadfart wrote:That was done with HPtuners, EFI live should be able to do it as well, if the tuner knows his stuff, but I could be wrong, can do with HPtuners! :lol:
Do you have it setup that you can have it operate normally when you start the car and then push the sport button to disable? or its just off all the time? I think they told me they could permanently disable but thats not what I'm interested in
NoMiCaprice9C1

Post by NoMiCaprice9C1 »

storm9c1 wrote:"Towcutter" -- good choice for a handle. At least for the Aussie reference. Mad Max is one of my favorite movies. ;)

Welcome!

The best car to get is a 2011 9C3. Also one of the rarest since only ~800 PPVs were sold here in 2011. I still can't remember how many (if any) 9C3 cars were sold in 2012 versus 9C1. But the 9C3 is the most civilianized package of them all. I've owned many 9C1 cars over the years. I promised myself that I wouldn't buy another, mainly because I was tired of getting abused and worn out cars that looked like a police cruiser sitting in my driveway. I love the 9C1 package for the HD options, but people just ask too many questions and look at me funny. Whereas the 9C3 package is completely stealth, doesn't look like a retired cruiser at all and I get nothing but compliments on the car. So if you are patient, maybe you can score a 9C3. Or a 9C1 that's been de-copified? It's worth the wait...
Almost as bad as what I get. "Hey what engine is in there that sounds good". "6.0l v8". "Sweet I didn't know they put that in a Malibu/Impala"
As I hit my forehead disgusted :o
2012 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 (117k) "the daily"

1994 Chevrolet S10 Blazer (229k) "the new beater"

2006 Hummer H3 (220k) "for mall parking lots"
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

xcidmigs wrote:
leadfart wrote:That was done with HPtuners, EFI live should be able to do it as well, if the tuner knows his stuff, but I could be wrong, can do with HPtuners! :lol:
Do you have it setup that you can have it operate normally when you start the car and then push the sport button to disable? or its just off all the time? I think they told me they could permanently disable but thats not what I'm interested in
Traction control and stabilitrac are still engaged, all the time. When I turn TC off, I can powerbrake the car. :mrgreen:
Bob Dannelley
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

Just a follow up on this. When I got the car back from the tuner, I had no intention of making any passes. For over a year, this issue never came up, because it would blow the tires off any time I was in a lower gear. I eventually bought an extra set of Caprice-V wheels and some dr's. I sashay down to the track, fifteen minutes from my house, go to do a burnout, WTF. :oops:

I still made a pass with TC on, and ran a 12.60 @ 116, in ninety degree heat. I knew it had a lot more, then! :roll:

I looked through the tune, and it appeared all the TC management scales had been scaled up or modified, but I am not a tuner. I went back to his shop next time I was up that way, and he looked at the tune, and saw where he had forgotten to scale up a parameter in the engine management section. Made that little change, five minutes on a calibration only read, went out on the back road, and power braked like nobody's business! 8-)

At least in my tune, with TC enabled, everything's cool, disable TC, get after it! YMMV
Bob Dannelley
Towcutter

Post by Towcutter »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Nice!! We had a 83 F-41 Impala that looked a LOT like your car. It was a company car. My Dad's only requirements:
Suspension package (F-41)
Black
V-8

Sold it to a friend who knew exactly what he was getting. Swapped the gutless 305 for a 350, and AFAIK, he is still enjoying it.

Very cool. I wish I hadn't sold this ol' trooper car, they seem to be rare as hell now. They were the only Caprice that came with the 350, (4 bolt mains, so I'm told), not very potent, but very durable. Looking forward to getting another Holden though, that 04 GTO was a blast.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Towcutter wrote:
CrashTestDummy wrote:Nice!! We had a 83 F-41 Impala that looked a LOT like your car. It was a company car. My Dad's only requirements:
Suspension package (F-41)
Black
V-8

Sold it to a friend who knew exactly what he was getting. Swapped the gutless 305 for a 350, and AFAIK, he is still enjoying it.

Very cool. I wish I hadn't sold this ol' trooper car, they seem to be rare as hell now. They were the only Caprice that came with the 350, (4 bolt mains, so I'm told), not very potent, but very durable. Looking forward to getting another Holden though, that 04 GTO was a blast.
Indeed. Ours had the 150 HP 305 in it. Gutless Wonder, I called it. With the gearing and OD transmission, it wouldn't accelerate in 4th gear at any speed less that about 80. I'd have to manually downshift. It ran, and ran, and ran, though, with little more than oil changes for more than 200K miles. Handled awesome, though. I hardly had to use the brakes for corners. :mrgreen:

Just yesterday I was over at my painter friend picking up some parts I had painted (fender inserts and deck spoiler). A couple of the worker bees were admiring the car, and one said something about the 6 liter in the GTO. I told him this car had the 6 liter, and his reply: "I didn't know they put those in the Impala/Malibu.". I told him this was a Caprice, and that it's RWD. They were further impressed, and then started to look under the back end of the car. Fun!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?