TPMS Lower Threshold

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
impalaplt

TPMS Lower Threshold

Post by impalaplt »

I've gone to aftermarket tires and wheels, and I'm trying to figure out how to lower the TPMS threshold in the computer to reflect the pressure range of my new tires?

There was a video by Retrocarguy 530 where he did it, but he used some hi-tech device....

IS there another way to do this?

Can I get my dealer to do this?

Would it be cheaper for me to buy such a device???
rcg530

Re: TPMS Lower Threshold

Post by rcg530 »

The scan tool I used in my video was the Autel MaxiSys MS906. I've been testing the Thinkcar ThinkDiag Bluetooth VCI dongle. The ThinkDiag app runs on an iOS or Android device. The "Tire Type/Pressure Selection" special function that allows for the reset of the tire pressure settings was/is missing from the v48.36 (android) GM/BUICK/CADILLAC/CHEVROLET diagnostic module. I reported that to Thinkcar and they provided to me a test version with that special function added. This past week, I contacted Thinkcar again about when the updated diagnostic software module would be publicly released and now the estimate is maybe by the end of December. The iOS diagnostic modules seem to lag behind the Android modules for this product.

The Thinkcar ThinkDiag can be purchased for $119 which includes one diagnostic software module for one year. Yes, it's a subscription based tool. If you want to continue using the diagnostic module for another year it costs $39.95 per diagnostic module / per year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeqT8yVSaJc
2014 Chevy Caprice PPV | RetroCarGuy530 YouTube Channel
HoldOn SV

Post by HoldOn SV »

rcg530 has the best method, as:
Anything close to safety the dealer will decline They will most likely deem this close enough not to risk it for a $140 module recalibration.
If you can get them to do it however, good on 'ya though! 👍
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

I reprogrammed mine with the Vxdiag.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

i have no issues in ride quality and tire wear keeping with in the stock tire pressures for the caprice , and im running the SS sedan wheels and tires
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

Fudgehog wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:24 am I reprogrammed mine with the Vxdiag.
Using AC Delco TDS?
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

Anybody want to rent me their programmer so I can do it on my car! Or lives in NW Ohio / SE MI. LOL. I would love to lower the threshold but I only have HP Tuners and Forscan (Ford).
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

No, you can do it with Tech2 emulator and Windows with the VXdiag.

If you have any J2534 pass through device you can also buy tech2 emulator online for like 10 bucks or so IIRC.

But VXdiag is not too bad of an option. I used it plenty for its price.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

I have been able to change mine with an Autel MX808 MaxiCheck. It is a decent scanner that reads all of the modules.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Way back in 2013: https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewto ... ting#p2855

While later Owner's Manuals do not appear to have had this statement, the 2011 manual contained a statement that 36/36 PSI front & rear was an acceptable pressure for "normal" operation - the PPV's 39F/44R spec is for maximum load/high speed conditions. The issue, of course, is that the pre-sets in the system do not consider that running these APPROVED lower pressures will create nuisance alarms as a seasonal situation with the settings built into the PPV.

The SS sedan and G8 have settings that are the same 36 PSI at all corners, or something closer to that than the PPV's "door label" settings.

A dealer that would decline to make any adjustment to TPMS settings should have the 2011 manual statement explained to them and then present the SS sedan TPMS settings as evidence that the system is still doing it's job. Safety is NOT compromised when a tire sensor alarms at somewhere between 28 & 32 PSI.