Truck rim? 5 lug

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
Maximuss

Truck rim? 5 lug

Post by Maximuss »

guy on craigslist says this rims are from a chevy GMC truck. I did not think they made them 5 lug since 1999.
his info on the rims. But if his info on the correct on the pattern they should fit.
5x 120. 5 lug bolt pattern.255-50-19.19x 8 in good shape

Does anybody know what vehicle they are from?
Attachments
00H0H_cDbqVL74J29_1200x900.jpg
00H0H_cDbqVL74J29_1200x900.jpg (92.51 KiB) Viewed 13057 times
Adam Haack
Owner- CarmaHawk Creations
9-time Caprice owner
1998 Tahoe 2door-2wd
2012 White PPV 6.0 SOLD :(
1991 Caprice LT1 swapped “Capricious”
t-shirt and vinyl decals maker
1991 Olds very Custom Cruiser 350...
1996 Roadie convertible wagon
s/c'd cav

Re: Truck rim? 5 lug

Post by s/c'd cav »

looks like a camaro wheel
No Moa

Post by No Moa »

I would agree, Camaro.
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1996 Impala ss (soon to be t56)
1995 9c1
1977 Trans am SE 4spd.
1978 trans am 400 4 spd.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Camaro - as shown here: http://www.originalwheels.com/chevrolet ... s-5442.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sadly, this 19" wheel does not clear GXP/Gen5 Camaro Brembo brakes, if you ever may contemplate adding them.
Maximuss

Post by Maximuss »

What is a Good price on 19 inch Camaro rims with tires? $500?
Adam Haack
9-time Caprice owner
1998 Tahoe 2door-2wd
Maximuss

Post by Maximuss »

Navy Lifer wrote:Camaro - as shown here: http://www.originalwheels.com/chevrolet ... s-5442.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sadly, this 19" wheel does not clear GXP/Gen5 Camaro Brembo brakes, if you ever may contemplate adding them.
So I need a 20 inch rim?
Adam Haack
9-time Caprice owner
1998 Tahoe 2door-2wd
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Adam,

I'm only pointing out that the specific 19" Camaro OE wheel being discussed presents the issue, if you may have plans to go to larger brakes--nothing more than that. If you think a Brembo setup might be in your future, there are both 18 & 19 wheels that fit and clear the larger Brembo brake options....just did not want to see you get locked into a specific wheel that brings limitations, then end up having to change wheels (more cost) to accommodate a big brake setup.

More often the issue is not wheel diameter, rather it's the wheel offset and back of wheel spoke profile that causes problems with the Brembo brake setups, which literally bolt-on to the PPV (from Camaro or SS sedan). A larger diameter wheel alone will not guarantee clearance laterally, only radially.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Strange the timing on this as I just finished the brembo install on my car which already had a set of these 19" camaro OEM wheels..

This info on the offset is correct, however its only on the front calipers that there is any issue and its a very minor clearance, I believe with a 1mm thick wheel spacer you could get the clearance needed to make it work. However I was going to redo the calipers anyway and decided to have a go with a grinder to see what was possible. There is a large amount of material on these calipers and again I would estimate that I removed less than 1mm from the inside edge of the caliper and just feathered it back into the body, once sanded better and repainted you won't see anything at all.

Obviously not a bolt on affair but not impossible if you like those 19" wheels which I really do as they have a great handling and still somewhat comfy ride compared to something larger with less sidewall. SPeaking of which I think those tires you showed are going to be too tall, look at the front upper strut mount inside the wheel well area you will see how little gap there is stock. I am using 245/45/19
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

It won't do any good to express disapproval for grinding on the caliper body--it's done, and it was successful, but it makes me cringe, honestly.

Most spacer suppliers won't likely make a 1mm spacer, as it would not be durable, long-term, and is much more easily deformed than a thicker spacer. I just had spacers made that were 2.5mm, and my source, Motorsport Tech, only acknowldeges on it's website the availability of 3mm spacers. I called and requested the 2.5mm thickness and they agreed to do it, but implied that is the absolute minimum they would be willing to provide.

While I'm still waiting for confirmation, there IS a possible Brembo scenario being researched that may allow replacement of the stock caliper with a Brembo caliper, while keeping the 345mm PPV front rotors--and clearing 19" and even 18" Camaro wheels, possibly.

This is sort of "half a loaf" solution, as it really doesn't result in the same degree of performance enhancement of the larger (355mm) and thicker (32mm vs 30mm) rotors - in other words, increased rotor mass should be one of the improvement areas vs stock brakes. As you'll see below, it's a serious possibility, and unlike the PPV, for G8 GT owners still running stock brakes (321mm front rotor), changing to 345mm rotors and a Brembo caliper is a significant improvement, and allows retention of the stock wheels.

Once there's a firm validation of this option, I'll start a thread. Read about it here, for now:
http://www.g8board.com/forums/42-canada ... arped.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See my posts - #7, 10 & 16
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

very interesting find, the calipers while similar are clearly somewhat different. They don't use that external crossover tube either, which was a major PIA to me while doing the refinishing. Strange the made the rotor size smaller wonder if they would work on the 355mm ones also?