What's the tallest tire we can fit on our cars?

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
12vPowered

What's the tallest tire we can fit on our cars?

Post by 12vPowered »

Since my trucks down, it's too big to fit in my garage and currently too cold to work on it outside, my most practical option was to take the caprice out of storage. I'm gonna switch to my g8 wheels this weekend but I need tires. I don't know how you guys will feel about this but I want some aggressive all terrains for the rear. Think demo car lol. Im hoping someone will have some input on the tallest tire I can comfortably fit back there.
2012 9c1 20k miles, Holden grill/ badges, radio unlock, g8 rear seat and camaro 20s.... For now
1995 Ram 2500 Cummins 5spd wannabe race truck money pit
1993 Honda Prelude iron (rust) painted car
xcidmigs

Re: What's the tallest tire we can fit on our cars?

Post by xcidmigs »

What is the goal here? Legit offroad driving? If you are just worried about snow traction I don't know why you wouldn't buy actual "winter" tires. The way they are made now has nothing to do with the old school type which were basically just truck type off road stuff (anyone recall using Town and Country's version) the stuff they sell now literally transforms now only the traction avail to a RWD car but more important the ability to steer and stop. You really need a set of 4 and if you do that and actually drive in cold bad weather I assure you that you will be converted to this concept and never go back. I have several co workers that use ex PD crown vics all year and have zero problems driving even if there has been a foot of new snow using the winter tires all around. Another positive is that people are constantly selling off barely used sets of winter tires for cheap on craigslist etc because they get rid of a car and have them sitting in garage with wife cryin etc..
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Are Blizaks still the way to go here? I know they were the shizzle with the 94-96 B-body crowd. That's been a while, though.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
No Moa

Post by No Moa »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Are Blizaks still the way to go here? I know they were the shizzle with the 94-96 B-body crowd. That's been a while, though.

I use them. Have a brand new set for my impala ss, I haven't installed yet. I'm going to get some for the PPV at some point.
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1996 Impala ss (soon to be t56)
1995 9c1
1977 Trans am SE 4spd.
1978 trans am 400 4 spd.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

My Department is currently using a Firestone "winterguard" tire on the crown vics with very good results although they are limited to what they can purchase due to state contracts.

Here's some of the stuff out there that fits caprice from tire rack. I personally use the Yokohama's on my Subaru WRX and its literally unstoppable in all weather events

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearc ... toModClar=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Again if you have not purchased decicated "snow" tires in 10 years things have changed quiet a bit the old concept Blizzacks that wore out their initial tread to a more standard all season tire is not the way to go anymore despite them still using that name plate. Do yourself a favor and read up a bit, the best deals on these tires is unfortuneately around Sept-Oct every year from what I see with various manufactures offering up rebates etc.
No Moa

Post by No Moa »

My dept runs Goodyear Ultra grips on their chargers, Durangos. Good tire also.
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1996 Impala ss (soon to be t56)
1995 9c1
1977 Trans am SE 4spd.
1978 trans am 400 4 spd.
l77

Post by l77 »

No Moa wrote:My dept runs Goodyear Ultra grips on their chargers, Durangos. Good tire also.
I'm running 225/55R18 (approx 3% taller than factory height) Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRTs and they are decent winter tires for the money.
x-pro1/x-pro2/x-t30
8/12/18/35/60/90mm
brenard

Post by brenard »

Had a set of Blizzak's and they were ok. Good grip yet they were a bit noisy.