Brakes??? ::(

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
#802PalmBeach

Brakes??? ::(

Post by #802PalmBeach »

Got myself in a bit of a jam here.

I just bought the Z26 street warrior kit for G8 GT front as recommended by g8only.com. The brakes do not fit my car at all pads are completely wrong and rotors are hitting the caliper bracket bolts!

What are the normal replacement front pads and rotors that are easily available locally??

I can’t drive my car!!!
'12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77
30 to 70 MPH in 4.0 seconds so far

'02 Silverado 5.3 L59
8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile)

YouTube channel
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Brakes??? ::(

Post by Navy Lifer »

PPV front brakes are much more robust than G8 GT - 345mm rotor vs 321mm, aggressive Ferodo HP1000 OE pads. True, they are single-piston cast-iron calipers, so not as pretty. Nothing crosses with G8 GT front, that much is for sure.

This is the kit you should have purchased if you want to go this route: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 4&jsn=1829

What local sources do you prefer to use? All should have the correct rotors & pads.
HoldOn SV

Post by HoldOn SV »

Thanks very much for posting the link! How is this kit performing on your Caprice? What did you send back to recover your core charge, and was shipping it back more than $90?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Don't misunderstand - I'm not using that kit, I just looked up the info for the correct OEM kit from PowerStop. I don't have any other answers for you.

I would compare Jegs & Summit pricing, as they offer "free" shipping, where Rock Auto does not. Rock Auto does provide an additional 5% discount, but I can only tell you that IF the calipers/brackets will fit in a USPS Flat Rate box without destroying the box, you can return them for well under $90. It would take some creative packing & reinforcement of the large FR box....and you might have to do one per box. If anyone needs calipers anywhere close to you, you could just sell them and recoup the core fee, or part of it, at least. Compare RA & Summit/Jegs prices to see how it all shakes out.

My PPV is a full Brembo conversion with DBA (Disc Brakes Australia) rotors.
RF 4-piston Brembo, custom painted caliper, 355 rotor
RF 4-piston Brembo, custom painted caliper, 355 rotor
PPV RF new rotor and caliper.JPG (39.91 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
ACE wheel.JPG
ACE wheel.JPG (53.45 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
#802PalmBeach

Post by #802PalmBeach »

Installed Autozone Gold elite 345 mm discs and pads.

Looking to return the other kit
'12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77
30 to 70 MPH in 4.0 seconds so far

'02 Silverado 5.3 L59
8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile)

YouTube channel