Goodridge brake hose kit for PPV now available

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Goodridge brake hose kit for PPV now available

Post by Navy Lifer »

Should have posted this already....most of the essential information is already posted, but it is scattered through several different threads.

Bottom line, there are now 2 aftermarket options for brake hose upgrades--Goodridge PN 23225 (for PPV & 14 SS) and Techna-Fit CHEV-4500.

There is another Goodridge kit, PN 23226, for 15-17 SS, which would also be OK to use on PPV, especially if doing a Brembo conversion.

The Techna-Fit kit is compatible for both PPV & SS, all years, regardless of calipers used.

More here (posted on SS Forum) - https://www.ssforums.com/forum/wheels-t ... -home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CrashTestDummy

Re: Goodridge brake hose kit for PPV now available

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Thanks, Bill. That reminds me, I really need to get this kit ordered before I can't anymore.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

sweet , thank you for the update

2 sets of the 15-17 SS i shall need :)
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

Navy Lifer wrote:
More here (posted on SS Forum) - https://www.ssforums.com/forum/wheels-t ... -home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Could you post the pictures on this forum? SS Forum wont allow me to view pictures. I assume its because I can't fully register without a cellphone.
2016 Caprice
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

SSpeedracer wrote:
Navy Lifer wrote:
Could you post the pictures on this forum? SS Forum wont allow me to view pictures. I assume its because I can't fully register without a cellphone.
Weird, I don't think I needed a phone to register over there.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

SSpeedracer wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:34 am
Navy Lifer wrote:
Could you post the pictures on this forum?
Here you go--sorry I missed this/took so long.
Goodridge kits.JPG
Goodridge kits.JPG (34.33 KiB) Viewed 17513 times
Goodridge 11-17 PPV and 14 SS kit - 23225.JPG
Goodridge 11-17 PPV and 14 SS kit - 23225.JPG (46.02 KiB) Viewed 17513 times
Goodridge 23225 kit.JPG
Goodridge 23225 kit.JPG (53.71 KiB) Viewed 17513 times
Goodridge 15-17 SS kit - 23226.JPG
Goodridge 15-17 SS kit - 23226.JPG (49.46 KiB) Viewed 17513 times
Goodridge 23226 kit.JPG
Goodridge 23226 kit.JPG (53.6 KiB) Viewed 17513 times
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Gene/CTD - I sent you a PM, have hose kit available
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

While I’d love to spend the bucks on bigger calipers, I’ve got my first of 3 kids about to head to college in a few short years. I’ve got to keep upgrades on the 9C3 in the cheaper side.

I already have Power Stop rotors and pads and thought that was about as far as I could go. A month or so ago I watched https://www.facebook.com/donutmedia/vid ... =e&sfns=mo which put the idea of steel braided hoses in my head. Who has just done just this upgrade and was it worth it? It’s really not too much, but that $$ could make a dent in other things on my checklist, like OTR intake and DOD delete.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Dave, not to intentionally blow your cover, but I recall you're far enough north that salt in some form sees regular use for winter road conditions....have you checked the original hoses to see how they're looking with 8 years of service?

If you priced the OEM replacement hoses, you would be money ahead with either Goodridge or Techna-Fit. Rock Auto lists many other brands that are cheaper. It's hard for me to say emphatically that a difference can be noted, new OEM vs teflon lined braided stainless hoses--claims vs reality are funny like that.

The more important thing at this point is that I would consider you've gotten most of the value out of the OE hoses, even if they could last 20 years. If you care enough about the car, and the fluid is still original, you would be surprised what it looks like now. Changing hoses to Goodridge or Techna-Fit would at least prepare you for a brake system upgrade, and it would be one item already taken care of, if the decision was made to do so.

Techna-Fit isn't local to you, if I recall correctly--they're in Brownsburg, near the NHRA US Nationals/Lucas Oil Raceway facilities, if that even matters. And there's the matter of brackets, but I can supply both (hoses & brackets) if you wanted to go that route. The brackets have been modified to accept the end fittings for the front hoses, and only need to be painted before installation. Originally the brackets were plated, but it doesn't seem to be very durable against Mother Nature, when salt is added. Paint is probably the better option anyway!
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

further comment--watched the video and have some thoughts.

Not directly stated, but it has been mentioned elsewhere in the past. Tire contact with the road is what stops a car, in reality.

That's oversimplifying things, as a matter of the physics involved, but in the example of the video, assuming both cars (was not clarified) had the same rubber, it impacts/skews reaults, or possibly becomes the limiting factor. With the Wilwood setup performing so well, what would happen if better (race-level) rubber was used? I don't have an answer that directly correlates in any way, but would stickier rubber allow shorter stopping distances, in a "max effort" braking scenario, assuming ABS was activating (or conversely, would ABS activation be different with more tire grip)?

No doubt there are conditions and test procedures that could be devised that would come up with answers, but I'm more curious how a new stock plain rotor vs slotted/drilled of the same size would perform using the same pads. New parts vs worn parts masks that factor, as anyone who does a brake job, and calls it an upgrade based on adding drilled/slotted, is only fooling themself, from my experience. That is not a call-out to anyone here claiming how much better D/S is, because it's new parts vs old, typically, and they didn't turn around and put on new plain rotors to be able to compare them...if people like D/S, it's OK with me, so no one's offended, hopefully.

Bigger point, assuming rubber is appropriate for the use to evaluate maximum stopping effort, the biggest factor beyond fixed conditions - vehicle weight, rotor sizes & mass, road friction coefficient, etc--will be ambient temp in all areas (road surface, rubber, and brakes) during evaluation, and ultimately the brake pad friction coefficient & ability to deal with the heat generated in a test procedure become the controlling factors.

This would also include at what point fade comes into play, which could partly be impacted by condition of the brake fluid, but assume fresh fluid, ideally high-temp rated, since any sort of test that is anything like the video depicted is going to drive up temps of the entire system, starting with rotor, to pads, to caliper, to fluid. Highly rated fluids generally carry a significanly higher cost than OEM or it's equivalent, so depending on planned use, it may be that OEM fluid would not be appropriate for a test on any vehicle other than to baseline the performance of the brakes.